PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Power Heads - 28 Gallon Nano

chromakey
03-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Good Day:

I was thinking about upgrading the two Hydor Koralia 425 GPH power heads in my 28 gallon Nano Reef Aquarium.

I am trying to choose between the Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6015 and the Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10W ES. I haven't seen the Vortechs up close and at $300 it is a substantial upgrade over $40 for the Tunze.

I am looking for a clean look for the aquarium but I am a bit unsure about the really benefits of the Vortech.

I guess if I do upgrade down the road the MP10 would be useful in a slightly larger tank.

Thanks,
Michael

http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/EcoSmart-Vortech-MP10-W.jpg

freezetyle
03-13-2013, 08:43 PM
You cannot really compare the tunze to the vortech.
Vortech- pro's
-Wide flow
-multiple modes
-no heat transfer
-less intrusive
-adjust able flow, and under current helps with to suspend nutrients
-no wires in tank
Cons
-noise
-price
-no directional

Tunze- pros
-price
point flow where you want it
-dead silent

Cons
-tanks up more tank real-estate and wires
-non-controlable

it would be better to compare a tunze 6055 and a controller (either tunze or a apex, profilux) to the vortech. and look at the pros and cons of both.

lastlight
03-13-2013, 08:51 PM
even the 6015 i bought to use in my 28g nanocube was too direct in terms of flow. it was a cheap attempt but in the end it was a waste of $40 before i picked up an mp10. the mp10 works perfectly for me and i'm using it on my new tank as you mentioned. well worth the investment.

chromakey
03-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Hi:

I heard a few negatives about the noise of the MP10. The tank is in my TV room beside my couch. Right now the most noise is coming from my Aquamaxx HOB 1 skimmer and second are the stock fans in the hood. I am looking at options to replace the fans with quieter ones.

Could someone comment on the noise when the pump is running at a steady state and in some of the other modes.

Thanks,

lastlight
03-13-2013, 09:10 PM
i use whichever mode slowly ramps up/down and i max out at about 70%. it was in my living room and was totally fine. not silent by any means but something none of us even noticed after the first day. i have loud kids so YMMV lol.

if you let these things pulse it's far more noticeable.