PDA

View Full Version : crushed coral

Jaws
05-25-2004, 03:53 PM
After recent discussions with Steve (Thanks Steve), I think i'm going to use crushed coral as a sand bed and hide pod piles in the rocks for bugs to grow. I'm doing this so I can increase the flow in my tank without blowing sand around anywhere. Can anyone think of any disadvantages to using crushed coral as a sandbed in your tank?

Jaws
05-25-2004, 08:52 PM
Bump

Skimmerking
05-25-2004, 10:32 PM
PHOSPHATES ARE ABIG THING :evil:

mike
depending on the size of it ...

Doug
05-25-2004, 11:12 PM
After recent discussions with Steve (Thanks Steve), I think i'm going to use crushed coral as a sand bed and hide pod piles in the rocks for bugs to grow. I'm doing this so I can increase the flow in my tank without blowing sand around anywhere. Can anyone think of any disadvantages to using crushed coral as a sandbed in your tank?

Its a good substrate for smaller tanks and can certainly handle more flow, as long as you can easily siphon clean the gravel bed, then the detritus{ thus the phosphate }, can be kept to a minimum.

However if its like my friends 180 or my 225, both in a wall, with back access only, then it can be a PITA. I had to eventually remove mine and we just did the 180 last weekend. Both were clogged full of detritus and fueling algae growth.

StirCrazy
05-26-2004, 02:04 AM
OK just got to make something clear, my exact suggestion was for a bare bottom no sand bed at all, but if you need something in there for looks until the coralline has set in, then go with a large crushed coral (almost like rubble rock) now to keep phosphates under control the theory is to have massive flow to keep food suspended and to skim heavily to remove uneaten food before it can rot. the return set up i also suggested was to have the return pump disperse the water from under the rocks to prevent a build up of detritus and to aid in keeping the stuff suspended where corals ect. can get it better and to allow for the skimmer to be able to remove it.

Just wanted to give a few more details on the theory behind my recommendation and how it works. :mrgreen:

Steve

EmilyB
05-26-2004, 02:06 AM
Whew, I was worried for a minute there Steve..... :razz:

StirCrazy
05-26-2004, 02:13 AM
Whew, I was worried for a minute there Steve..... :razz:

and I figured you would be watching the game :mrgreen:

Steve

Jaws
05-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Sorry Steve, I should have been more clear. I like the idea of not having a sand bed but I prefer the look of a sand bed of some kind.

TNTCanada
05-26-2004, 11:32 PM
I have around 80-100lbs of used crush coral that can be wash for trade or sale if you don't have any