PDA

View Full Version : 400W radiums. anyone here use em?

DJ88
05-24-2002, 02:26 AM
Curious to see if anyone locally is running these puppies. Been readin lots of hype about em and want to see with my own eyes. In person preferably but pics work for me too. smile.gif

Delphinus
05-24-2002, 11:54 AM
Only in my dreams, man.

Maybe on a future tank, if I can get my hands on those Blueline ballasts. But, I think I've kind of promised myself that if I ever put 400W'ers over a reef tank, that then I have to look at having only ONE reef tank, not 3, because, (whine whine) my utility bill isn't a lot of fun right now.

Ok so this doesn't really answer your question. Sorry 'bout dat.

What I really wish, is that there'd be people trying the 150W DE 20k Radiums, or the 250W Radiums as well, so we could get a feel for those ones. As far as I can tell, nobody online is using them! And I'm not sure I want to be the one breaking into new territory. However, I am still kind of considering trying the 150W, I have the ballast for it already, sitting in a box, waiting for me to do something with it. It's that, the Iwasaki 50k, or a 150W DE 10K (maybe AB or Ushio). But not sure what tank to try it on, maybe my 20g, but, really the only thing in there is the green carpet, and I'm not really convinced the anemone really cares what colour temp. light it has..

DJ88
05-24-2002, 12:24 PM
Tony,

Any info is good info. So they run much better on the bluelines huh? Most people don't say what they are running the bulbs on for ballasts so I was assuming that some were running them on regular PFO or other ballasts.

hmmm.. I am really leaning towards re-doing my lighting scheme here. Running two NO actinics on a workhorse, two 10000K VHO's(I'll have enough laying around to last me for about 6 years) on a workhorse that come on an hour after the actinics then a 400W radium that is on for 6-8 hours max.

grrr.. decisions decisions..

Thanks Tony..

anyone else have input?

Delphinus
05-24-2002, 01:02 PM
From what I understand, they give off the best blue/white combo light with the most PPFD on the Bluelines, and the Bluelines draw the least amount of current, so these are the most efficient ballasts. But availability is an issue, there aren't any to be bought anywhere at the moment! Supposedly a new batch is being worked on and will be available "real soon now."

So the next best ballast is the PFO HQI's. Not quite as efficient, but almost, and can easily be bought since availability is not an issue. And some say the they like the light better on the HQI's, so there is probably a matter of preference there, hard to tell without seeing both setups in person.

I guess the Radiums on a typical M59 ballast and they're just blue, so probably not worthwhile investing in the bulbs if not going to invest in the ballasts as well.

Sanjay had a good article on this this some time back, "Do Ballasts Really Make a Difference?" Something like that. Can't remember which one it was now! Darn, sorry.

DJ88
05-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Hmmm.. I wonder how the 250W raduim would do on an HQI ballast. Grrr.. Maybe I'll just go 10000K with a 400W ballast. I have seen those running.

russell
05-24-2002, 01:27 PM
Hi Tony,
I think your thinking of this one... http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/s/b/sbj4/aquarium/ballast%20comparison/ballast-comparison.html
How are the frags?
Duaine

DJ88
05-24-2002, 01:33 PM
Duaine,

Thanks a lot.. smile.gif Gonna read it later this afternoon. I shouldn't even be here. Calculus final is in an hour. :( Man my head hurts.

as an aside. If I ever say I miss school in a couple of years hit me upside the head. Anyone..

Delphinus
05-24-2002, 01:59 PM
DJ88 -- good luck on the exams. Man, there's something I don't miss. I once thought about going back to school and gettin gmy masters, but, I'm far too addicted to the feeling of not having to worry about exams anymore! smile.gif

Rocky -- yeah that's the one, thanks.

cheers

[ 24 May 2002, 10:03: Message edited by: delphinus ]

One_Divided
05-24-2002, 03:31 PM
Darren, my plan for my 50 gallon is to run the 400w iwasaki for the first year and then switch over to a radium when I do the bulb change.. I'm hoping I'll get nice growth out of the iwasaki for a year and then colour them up with the radium.

What did you originally have in mind for lighting?

Jack
05-24-2002, 05:19 PM
Can anyone out there have any opinions on the 400W 10k MH bulbs? Big difference from the Iwasaki?

I have to replace my bulb soon, which should I go for? Iwasaki or 10k? I have 2x 40w NO Actinics.

Delphinus
05-24-2002, 05:47 PM
I had gotten away from being a student as well. Till I was booted out of the Navy and they said they would pay for more.. can't pass that up.

Kinda off topic but ... you know, I've been out of university for about 7 years now. I still get nightmares where I'm walking into a final, and I suddenly realize that I have skipped every single class of that course in that semester, so I was walking into a final not knowing a doggone thing. Eeeyikes. :eek: Seven years later!

One_Divided
05-24-2002, 06:57 PM
Well it looks like you're getting pretty damn nice growth and colour out of the 250 as is. I guess it depends on where you wanna put the money.. I wonder how much more it costs per month to run a 400 over a 250. Probably be about the same if you are running a short photo on the 400.

Why is it that we always want to keep upgrading when things are already working well? It's the addiction I guess... :rolleyes:

stephane
05-25-2002, 02:46 AM
Hi Darren seem like my email get you curious!

This link are from Dr mac Coral farm all is
coral are farm under Radium, 20k

http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/oursystems/

There a ton of pic there I will send other Pic
comparison to

stephane
05-25-2002, 04:43 AM
Here are some radium pic!!!!!!!
awsome!!!!1

http://reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=444125

http://reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=444126

http://reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=444128

There are some link

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60251&highlight=radium+and+user

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88459&highlight=radium

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86857&highlight=radium

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79092&highlight=radium

DJ88
05-25-2002, 04:45 AM
Well my life as a student is done for now.

sigh.. time to get drunk.. :D

Tony,

I had gotten away from being a student as well. Till I was booted out of the Navy ;) and they said they would pay for more.. can't pass that up.

Adam,

What I am thinking right now is a 400W with two NO actinics for sun up sun down and two 10000K VHO's since I have them. Only run the 400W for 6-8 hours and the 10000K's for 10 hours. I dunno.. just bouncing possibilities through my head.

Otherwise it's the 250W and VHOs.

easy as that.

stephane
05-25-2002, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by One_Divided:
Well it looks like you're getting pretty damn nice growth and colour out of the 250 as is. I guess it depends on where you wanna put the money.. I wonder how much more it costs per month to run a 400 over a 250. Probably be about the same if you are running a short photo on the 400.

Why is it that we always want to keep upgrading when things are already working well? It's the addiction I guess... :rolleyes: <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah but with the radium you skip all the
fluo and still have the best color

I have read a lot of post from radium owners and
I dont ever remeber one at all that are not absolutlie happy on the other hand I read all sort of setup and combo and it seem like people alway try to improve in some way and not 100 happy , that why I want to give them a try, not that I dont like my Iwasaki setup but IMO the radium from what I have read and pic I have seen are realy amazing!

smokinreefer
05-25-2002, 04:56 AM
hey darren,
not that i've seen those bulbs running before, but if i could...i would run my lighting like the way you have planned out. for the types of corals you have and your tank design...i feel that you will get good growth and awesome color.
JMO tho

stephane
06-01-2002, 04:08 AM
I tink I have finaly found a sheap HQI ballast for the radium I will post when shure

For those of you interesting by the Radium 20k I could probably have them for the price of an Iwasaki

Look other tread of a guru amaze by is new radium
note that they absolutly not need any actinic

http://www.canreef.com/ubb6/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000717

Delphinus
06-01-2002, 04:12 AM
Looks like someone else has found out about the 430W HPS ballast trick :D

There is no such thing as "400W HQI". That's just PFO's label on a product they sell, which apparently is just a 430W HPS ballast. Advance makes one (part#=71A85E6) and so does Venture (part#=V90C2050). The Venture ballasts are available over here in Calgary for about $100 at the hydroponics stores ("Bumper Crop" my secret reefing supply store, because they sell much the same things any LFS sells, but much cheaper.). I haven't been able to find the Advance ballasts yet (but to be fair I've only called two stores so far).

I might try this myself in the future, but I don't have the ability to try anything at the moment, due to severe drought of funds.. :(

PS. The really "cat's meow" ballast for these are the Blueline e-ballasts. Smallest power draw, highest PPFD output.

[ 31 May 2002, 12:22: Message edited by: delphinus ]

stephane
06-08-2002, 02:50 AM
I found new pic coparison

Full tank with brand new 20k
http://adriansreeftank.homestead.com/files/Full_view_20K_new.jpg

Full tank with 20K after a two week period
http://adriansreeftank.homestead.com/files/Full_view_20K_2weeks.jpg

Left side of tank with Ushio 10K
http://adriansreeftank.homestead.com/files/Left_side_10K_Ushio.jpg

Left side of tank with brand new 20K
http://adriansreeftank.homestead.com/files/left_side_20K_new.jpg

Left side with 20K after two week period

http://adriansreeftank.homestead.com/files/left_side_20K_2weeks.jpg

From dave grigor:
A couple of points to add.
The 10K Ushio pictures includes 1X110W 50/50 & 3X110W actinics.

The 20K pics are MH only no supplementation.

Ballasts are the 400W Blueline.

I have some closeups of a number of different corals that I took just before replacing the 10K with the 20K. Will take new pictures about 4-6 weeks to see it any coloration changes.

The biggest difference thus far from the 10K to 20K is the green colors and LPS. With the 10K the greens turned light in color closer to a yellowish look. With the 20K bulbs they instantly looked much better and showing early signs of regaining the green color. ( Look closely at the green pagoda cup on the left side for comparison ).

Also ever since I started using 400W ballast LPS never have reacted well. Most notable the open brains. Since switching to 20K all LPS look and expand better than ever before.

I did loose one SPS that was on the substrate. You never know for sure but I think the lighting intensity wasn't enough on the very bottom to support it. I fragged what was left and place higher up and doing just fine......

During the summer months I switched from running 3X400W down to 2X400W for heat and electricity reasons on the 6 foot tank. There is a noticable difference in brightness from the 10K to the 20K ( to the human eye ), PAR values from what I understand are pretty close. I beleive now that I don't have to run the 4X110W VHO and cooler months ahead, I will fire the middle 400W back up after next payday when I can get order another 20K bulb. Another reason for adding the center MH is so I can expand my higher light SPS more towards the center. As you may have noticed I am pretty much out of real estate and I just recieve 3 corals heads and 4 frags from Dr. Mac, 14 new frags from lonestarcorals, and a new clam ( Stocking up just before Winter hits as coral selections are sparse here in MN during winter ).

- Dave

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Doug
06-08-2002, 09:43 AM
I recieved my 400 watt 20K yesterday. Fired it over the empty 170. Very nice light. Brighter than my 12K, even to my eyes and thats with a normal PFO ballast.

But I would say, even thought its brighter, like the 12K,s, its still not bright enough,{on a normal ballast}, to light the 48 inch by 32 inch tank alone.

As the 170 is going to house mostly lps & mushrooms it may be enough for them, but my large leather may not like it. I was going to leave it in the 180, but its only going to be sps and various anemone polyps.

stephane
06-08-2002, 12:44 PM
I tink this comfire what we read before the PFO regular is not enought for the Radium you need the HQI(430 agro) or the blueline

another ting is that if we take steve tiree study in consideration he state that 100% of the radium
light is absort compare to 40% of an iwasaki so
maybe you coral will react positive even if it look dim. I tink you should try it on your regular ballast for a bit only to see how realy
you coral will react it will make a very good point IMO about the Tyree study

Anyway I tink a 400 for you 170 is definativaly not enought but we will find.

How about the temps doug the ting I am a bit afraid in my 130 whith 3 radium is the heating issus I hope I will be able to not run any chiller that my great fear

By the way what kind of reflector you have whith
the Radium? I ask this because after upgrade my flat refector whith the spider tipe I see a very big diference in light and not just in light 2 more degree in temp water those reflector done what they are made for reflect all in the tank!

Doug
06-08-2002, 01:51 PM
Perhaps thats a good point Stephane. I will give it a run and see how they respond. When I tried with the 12K, I had sps in there also. I know for sure my huge bubble coral will just love it. :D I wonder if bulb life is different between the different ballasts.

My pendant is an Icecap fixture. Uses the parabloic reflector. To my eyes, my tank is just as bright with a normal white reflector as compared with the parabolic ones. But I also have seen the tests regarding reflectors.

I know that a single 400 is pushing it on the tank, but because of its almost square shape, it works pretty good. I am careful about whats on the outside. Some blue mushrooms or similar would be my choice.

Of course I have the 180 with much more lighting, for the corals that require such.

stephane
06-08-2002, 05:05 PM
As strange at it is I have read somewere that the regular ballast is harder on the bulb I tink because voltage is to low but this need to be verified

The HQI ballast have a voltage of 200 volt and the radium spec said that this bulb should be run on 230 volt but the difference probably is the amp
on them

If my memory is good MH ballast are 95 volt ballast but hight amps so it match the same wattage but different volt

I dont know a lot about ballast I know that oldreefer and paulerick on RC know them well maybe we should ask them

If you have a mutimeter I would be curious what voltage are on the bulb out of you regular ballast + what Amps it draw on the 110v.

Ho and dont forget that this bulb need to be break before give good lightning most of the new user complain about the brightness the first 2 week on HQI ballast

stephane
07-31-2002, 03:35 PM
Wowwwwww! I have fired up the Radium 400 in the midle of my Iwasaki 250 and the difference is only amazing now I know what yelowich mean the Radium are simply amazing I cant beleve my eye I will post pic of it soon and comparison between saki and Radium

Biy Biy Iwasaki!!!!!!!! :D :cool: tongue.gif

[ 31 July 2002, 15:35: Message edited by: stephane ]

StirCrazy
07-31-2002, 09:32 PM
man the corals do look pretty under thease light but the rock looks washed out and solid blue which disapoints me.. I think you would need strong white suplment with thease bulbs to make everything look right.

Steve

jb1974
07-31-2002, 11:44 PM
Stircrazy,

What type of ballasts are you running the radiums on? IMO the light is at its best when under the 400w HQI ballasts. They are bluer than the HQI when using the electronic ballasts, and if you use tar, they would probably look like actinic (ie:everything looking blue). Just wondering...

StirCrazy
07-31-2002, 11:46 PM
jb1974
I am not running them I am just making a observation on every picture of them I have seen.. the corals stan out wonderfully but eveything else looks washed in blue.. kinda like looking at a tank with whimpy actinics on and nothing else.. maby it is just me..

Steve

stephane
07-31-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by StirCrazy:
jb1974
kinda like looking at a tank with whimpy actinics on and nothing else.. maby it is just me..

Steve<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When you will see one in person you will change your mind IMO As every one who have it said photo
dont get justice to the bulb I will see when i take my own photo but for now the color of everyting is just beautiful and I know from people who run it that it will be even beter after the burning period

Bryan
08-01-2002, 03:03 AM
Stephane:

What ballast did you end up using with the radiums? M59,M135,AGROSUN, Blueline ??

pocilipora
08-01-2002, 04:31 AM
I just put an Iwasaki on half my tank and the color of the bulb looks like daylight. But its only been 2 days and already the colors of the corals are looking great compared to the 10K german side, which looks realy dim. IMO Iwasaki is the way to go.

stephane
08-01-2002, 10:42 AM
The hps 430 agro I will love to compare to a blue
line but they are very expensive and for now Im satify whith the agro

Bryan
08-01-2002, 11:14 AM
My only concern with the AGROSUN is how much life you will get out of the bulbs. Some say only 6-8 months.

jb1974
08-01-2002, 11:54 AM
I just took some more pics yesterday after the bulb burn in on the 360 (tank has been running for about 7 weeks) . I am inept at using the computer so I will get my husband to post the pics tonight smile.gif

[ 01 August 2002, 07:55: Message edited by: jb1974 ]

stephane
08-02-2002, 01:29 AM
From what I have read it will give more like 10 month but we will see

Anyway the agro ballast are very cheap I have them
for 85$ compare to 300$ for a blueline he will not pay for itself before long time and maybe in a couple of years we will have new kind of light so I dont want to invest for to long. You know reefkeeping change very fast even if for now I tink the best bulb on the market is the radium 20k and we have it cheap , one years ago I was 100% with iwasaki then there was 10k now the radium so ..........

stephane
08-02-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by pocilipora:
I just put an Iwasaki on half my tank and the color of the bulb looks like daylight. But its only been 2 days and already the colors of the corals are looking great compared to the 10K german side, which looks realy dim. IMO Iwasaki is the way to go.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you shure your 10k have the right ballast?
a 400 10k who is dim is for only two reason defective bulb or rong ballast

All 10k bulb are made from europe and there ballast are realy different than hour so the problem is probably the ballast ;) or you tank is very very deep

[ 01 August 2002, 21:47: Message edited by: stephane ]

Bryan
08-02-2002, 03:07 AM
Yep, you are right, wasn't long ago the double ended 10K HQI bulb was the latest rave.

I am going to go for the radiums, but I might try a M135 ballast for a longer bulb life, If the color is too blue I might throw in a Iwasaki 250 watt in the middle to whiten it up and provide the growing power for the corals.

Originally posted by stephane:
You know reefkeeping change very fast even if for now I tink the best bulb on the market is the radium 20k and we have it cheap , one years ago I was 100% with iwasaki then there was 10k now the radium so ..........<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

stephane
08-02-2002, 04:29 AM
What is the size of your tank (lenght)
if you tank is to long mine is 6'the iwasaki in the midle will look very ugly I have try it and you see only the yellow in the midle and everyting look more dull under the saki

When you put the radium beside the iwasaki it is noting but ugly until you have a lot of actinic and then the radium is a litle to blue. the best combo will be a radium an a saki in the same reflector but a lot of watt !!!!!!

[ 02 August 2002, 00:31: Message edited by: stephane ]

Bryan
08-02-2002, 11:09 AM
The tank is 5 feet. A iwasaki in the middle of two radium 20K will surely add some yellow to the appearance as you suggest, but might be worth experimenting with, or maybe add a 10K and forget about the actinics.

stephane
08-02-2002, 02:18 PM
the problem is not that the lamps add to much yellow overall it is only because the yellow is in the midle between two with blue colum

maybe in your five foot if the lamp are higher and if you dont utilize reflector like spider who
reflect the light praticaly only under them it will be good but the two light color need to be mix perfecly to look good IMO

If I was you I will put the two radium whith spider reflector whith blueline or agro ballast an a mix of daylight and actinic for the dusk and dawn

I read a lot from people who have the Radium and most of them like it by there owns

If you have a scware tank then it will be different but with a tank that size it's hard to mix well

[ 02 August 2002, 10:26: Message edited by: stephane ]

Doug
08-03-2002, 09:57 AM
I have some halide reflectors made from a piece of the white reflector from a fl. shop light fixture.

It gives a better spread to the halides than the parabolic one, on my pendant, but not as intense.

stephane
08-03-2002, 10:41 AM
When I have added those spider to my old iwasaki 250 setup the temp have climb of 4 degree and the coral have react very badly so I shut down the MH lightning from 10 houre to 2 houre and climb slowly of 1/2 houre each 2-3 day and even that way some coral have hard time to adjust this intense focus . the frogs spaw who was growing like mad direcly under the MH as just not very grow from the time I add those

BC_Grl
08-05-2002, 01:22 AM
I was a little confused with reading the RC thread. From what I was reading, it sounded like overpowering the bulb -using a 430w over a 400w would not only raise your hydro bill unnecessarily, but shorten the lifespan of the bulb.
What about getting a 400w ballast from a hydroponics store? Would that work?

stephane
08-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Here are photo and coment from an other board of
Achie's tank from Toronto

Here are some shots after a fulll month of having 2x 400 watt 20k Radiums set up with Dual PFO HQI ballasts. Colour and growth are impressive. This bulb and ballast combo is the best I've experienced yet. Some pieces glow like light bulbs under this lighting.

Archie has attached this image:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=4378

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=4379

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=4380

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=4381

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=4384

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=4385

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=4386

Jayson
08-06-2002, 11:15 PM
Using the wrong ballast will shorten the life of the bulb. The Son Agro ballast will reduce the life of the bulb down to aprox 6-8 monthes. This is rumored to be the ballast that Pfo sells as there HQI.

Aquattro
08-07-2002, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Jayson:
Using the wrong ballast will shorten the life of the bulb. The Son Agro ballast will reduce the life of the bulb down to aprox 6-8 monthes. This is rumored to be the ballast that Pfo sells as there HQI.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jayson, are you aware of an alternative to the Blueline that will perform as well? Or will bulb life still be comprimised?

stephane
08-07-2002, 10:18 AM
Using the wrong ballast will shorten the life of the bulb. The Son Agro ballast will reduce the life of the bulb down to aprox 6-8 monthes. This is rumored to be the ballast that Pfo sells as there HQI.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Where did you get those number Jayson? I have heard more around 10 month from real user of it.

[ 07 August 2002, 06:21: Message edited by: stephane ]

Jayson
08-07-2002, 10:40 AM
I have been talking with Andy of Ice Cap. They will have something out very soon that will perform better than the Blueline. If you want something that will perform very well,recommended by Radium, give you good bulb life, good spectrum output,5 year warrenty you should look into my specials. Stephane the numbers I have given you are from a REAL user as well as tech people from Radium and other reliable people in the industry.I know that you are trying to sell people these SonAgro ballasts but have you ever tried to test the bulbs after 6 monthes with a color spectrom meter? compared to new bulb. I think that if you did this you would then see a big difference and realize that overdriving them will shorten the life span considerably. Thanks

Bryan
08-07-2002, 11:12 AM
Jayson:

Are you able to post some specs on the recommended ballast, or what Radium recommends for the bulb at least. I assume they are imported from europe, but how will they perform on our power 60 hz vs 50 hz etc, voltage.

How is the color of the bulb on the recommended ballast?

Can the ballast run other types of bulbs?. We all know how quickly the fad for lighting changes in this hobby<g>

[ 07 August 2002, 07:15: Message edited by: Bryan ]

stephane
08-07-2002, 11:23 AM
Here are the spec
wattage:360W
wattage whith baLLast:400W
mains voltage:230V
nominal current:3,5A
luminous flux:8000lm (that why you realy need to overdrive it IMO)
Colour Temperature:20000 k
rapid reignition:4000v
capacitor for 50hz: 45

stephane
08-07-2002, 11:34 AM
I know that you are trying to sell people these SonAgro ballasts but have you ever tried to test the bulbs after 6 monthes with a color spectrom meter? compared to new bulb. I think that if you did this you would then see a big difference and realize that overdriving them will shorten the life span considerably. Thanks<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jayson you seem to be obsed because I have offer people the radium half you normal price but YOU are trying to sale stuff I dont try anyting more here than help people save money
I pay the agro ballast 85$ and offers it at 90$
you LFS symply alway doulbe the price so dont try of accused me of anyting

I respect you and tink you try to help to but could you show us a bit more about you ballast
what are the spec of that ballast

As for testing the bulb with a spectrometer I have not and will not because I dont care as long as my coral will look happy the rest is only useless but did you tested it ?

Anyway the ballast you offered is a good deal and if he is good as you said I WILL recomend people
to buy and I will even orther you tree for my tank but for now the best for my $ are the agro show us a bit more about it than said that
he is the balast Radium recomend and show us pic and comparison between agro or blueline whith it

Tank

[ 07 August 2002, 07:48: Message edited by: stephane ]

Jayson
08-07-2002, 01:37 PM
Jayson you seem to be obsed because I have offer people the radium half you normal price but YOU are trying to sale stuff I dont try anyting more here than help people save money

I am not upset that you are doing this. What you decide to do is your business. I have an overhead to maintain. I dropped my price down to $134.99 because I received a better buy on the bulbs by purchasing quantity. I charge what I charge based on service. Are you going to take the bulbs back if they fail? Are you going to deal with warrenty issues?

I pay the agro ballast 85$ and offers it at 90$
you LFS symply alway doulbe the price so dont try of accused me of anyting

I do not double my price on my balasts or bulbs. I have not accused you of anything. Where are you reading this?

I respect you and tink you try to help to but could you show us a bit more about you ballast
what are the spec of that ballast

I will post the specs of the ballast later. I will have to find them again.

As for testing the bulb with a spectrometer I have not and will not because I dont care as long as my coral will look happy the rest is only useless but did you tested it ?

I myself have not tested it. I am going on tests that have been conducted by other people in the industry.

Anyway the ballast you offered is a good deal and if he is good as you said I WILL recomend people
to buy and I will even orther you tree for my tank but for now the best for my $ are the agro show us a bit more about it than said that
he is the balast Radium recomend and show us pic and comparison between agro or blueline whith it

I can not show you a comparision pic to a Blueline ballast as I do carry these ballasts. I will not be carrying these or the Son Agro. The only way that I will be able to do pics is if you send me one of your ballasts.

Jayson
08-07-2002, 01:44 PM
From the info that I have received the ballasts will power all the German/Euro bulbs out there with no problem. It is in the way the ballasts are designed. The bulb is brighter than on a regular 400 watt ballast. The color difference is a much cleaner looking whie blue. As far as comparing it to other ballasts I have yet to do that due to not having any others at this time. Thanks

Aquattro
08-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Jayson, you're saying then that the "Blue Wave" ballasts are the correct or at least close to correct ballast for Radium bulbs? I've never heard of this company (doesn't mean much ;) )...are you aware of anyone using these ballasts that has posted pics of their system? Have you opened one of these ballasts to see who really manufacturs the guts?

Doug
08-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Being a new moderator, and the only one here for now, :D , I hope I am writing this correct.

Stephane, I would say even though you mean well and your bulb and ballast sales are well recieved and needed, I would say your posts on this topic,{both posts} are bordering, {if not already], commercial posts.

When you were selling the bulbs in private on the for sale forum, that was fine, but in this post, and the other, you say your making a profit,{albeit very small}. I know this is just to cover your costs and appreciate it. We had the same situation on RC, with someone selling 250 watt Iwasaki,s of which I bought some. Neither him, nor you, are doing anything wrong, IMO.

But you own a lighting company and bring the bulbs in. If sold for any profit, I dont see how its not a commercial venture. Others such as Jayson, AJ, and JL Aquatics,{just to name a few}, cant advertise theirs products and your competing against them. I would say unfair. Plus Canreef is also a company that must compete against all the above and they do own the board.

The other posts regarding buying cheaper, was for sure heading that way. I left it there, because, first, I am unsure, and second the excellent points made by some of the aquarists about supporting their lfs.

I am questioning this not only as a moderator, but as an interested aquarist, who has bought many things private and will continue to. But fairness must be maintained on the boards.

Perhaps I am wrong on this, darn newbie moderators, ;) , and if so, I apologize, but after going over the rules and mulling over these posts since the start, I do see how.

Anyhow, lets just keep them non-commercial.

Aquattro
08-07-2002, 02:59 PM
After browsing http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aquarium/products/ballasts.shtml
I notice the Blue Wave ballasts contain one of three possible ballasts. The come with either an Advance, Magnatek or Venture.
I can't believe that any one of these three is the "correct" ballast. I don't see an option to choose the one you want.
So which one is the right one??

Doug
08-07-2002, 06:41 PM
Thank-you Stephane.

Knowing you, I know it was not your intention and that you make hardly diddly-squat smile.gif and that your selling of these bulbs & ballasts, is as a favour to other aquarists, {which we appreciate, believe me}. smile.gif And as I mentioned before, IMO, its not really commercial, but perhaps getting into a grey area. :D

stephane
08-07-2002, 07:05 PM
You always know what to said to get us on track :D that why you are the moderator ;)

stephane
08-08-2002, 04:08 AM
doug
Sorry if you take this like that but it was not my intention of doing anyting comercial here or again's the rule
I could not even pay the butter on my toast whith the money i take on those ballast I do it at first to help people around if I dont I will stop
my buisnes is not a lightning compagny and selling bulb and ballast are not part of it but just give me access to buy them.

I have talk about the price of the ballast here only for one reason it is because Jayson have tell me 'you try to sale sale you agro ballast'
and I dont try to sell anyting to anyone I only try to help

As for the other post after reading it in all is content yes he was sound like someting commecial
but it was not my intention i was just trying to tell people who much profit LFS do on our head
and hate to see them get the price lower only when this happens but I delete all the post that should not be there

Anyway I will be more carful on my post to not talk about it anymore

[ 07 August 2002, 12:52: Message edited by: stephane ]

clintyiu
08-10-2002, 08:39 PM
I got a few bulbs from stephane and my tank is lit with one now. All the hype about the Radium is true. Best lighting I have seen in person.

BC_Grl
08-11-2002, 10:08 PM
And Clint- you are using a Blueline for the ballst- is that correct?? We are thinking of going to the hydroponics store to get a ballast. Hopefully we will be getting our bulbs (from Stephane) tomorrow.

clintyiu
08-12-2002, 03:30 AM
Jeanna,

I didn't do any research/reading on whether a Radium bulb will work well with any core and coil ballast. You may want to make sure the one you get from the hydropinics place is the same as those others use.

Clint

Taoism
08-16-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Reef_Raf:
Jayson, you're saying then that the "Blue Wave" ballasts are the correct or at least close to correct ballast for Radium bulbs? I've never heard of this company (doesn't mean much ;) )...are you aware of anyone using these ballasts that has posted pics of their system? Have you opened one of these ballasts to see who really manufacturs the guts?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We may want to prod Doug into posting, but I know that he has the single version of the ballast and when he fired it at home for his tank he thought it was very, VERY nice. Which is good, since I have bought 2 of the dual ballasts from Jayson for my up and coming tank smile.gif

4 @ 400W Radiums over my 6' tank.... woo, that's gonna rock smile.gif

Cheers,
Keith.

[ 16 August 2002, 04:58: Message edited by: Taoism ]