PDA

View Full Version : WET Fish Pellets

straightrazorguy
03-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Hello Fellow Reefers,

This morning, as I was about to feed my fish, I managed to drop a brand new 150 gram container of NLS Marine Formula 1mm pellets in a bucket of top-off water. You see, I am more than a little uncoordinated in the morning!....

Anyway, there are pellets floating everywhere, wet pellets on the floor and a pellet container floating, half submerged! I take the container out of the bucket, strain the water out and manage to save about 2/3 of the pellets. I spread them on a couple of trays; some of them are clumping together. Now my kitchen is very aromatic!

My question to you is: is it even worth trying to dry them? Will they be useable after drying? I hate wasting food, whether human or fish....

My kitchen stinks to high heaven; I think I am about to hurl!...

albert_dao
03-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Toss. You will start to grow bacteria/molds if the food gets any humidity on it.

AquaPin
03-10-2013, 05:31 PM
It sucks to chuck $12 worth of food away, but I agree with Albert it is not worth keeping. My pond food got wet once and never dried out, was mushy, sunk and eventually it started growing some mold/fungus on it.

If you really want to keep it, maybe put it on a cookie sheet in the oven and dry them out completely. Just a thought, no idea if it will work.

JV

albert_dao
03-10-2013, 07:33 PM
It sucks to chuck $12 worth of food away, but I agree with Albert it is not worth keeping. My pond food got wet once and never dried out, was mushy, sunk and eventually it started growing some mold/fungus on it.

If you really want to keep it, maybe put it on a cookie sheet in the oven and dry them out completely. Just a thought, no idea if it will work.

JV

It won't. Unfortunately, adding extra heat beyond anything used to manufacture the food will destroy the nutritional profile. At that point, you might as well be throwing flour into your tank and praying for the best, haha.

Madmak
03-11-2013, 05:52 AM
You could freeze them and they would likely be okay. Still a bit of a PIA for some pellets but I hate wasting stuff too.

straightrazorguy
03-12-2013, 03:00 AM
Great idea Madmak! I tried to dry them at room temperature, but some are still damp/clumping. I'll try freezing the ones that are in OK shape; that way they'll last me until the next BRS order. I just realized it was a 300 gram container...