PDA

View Full Version : Water softener and RO

asylumdown
03-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Turns out the house builder totally messed up and never hooked up our water softener. I was sure this was the case for months, but it was finally just resolved now. The softener only sends water to certain cold water taps in the house, but all hot water taps. Since I was sure the softener wasn't working, I have the taps to my RO unit at 80% cold, 20% hot so that the water going in to the unit is lukewarm (I've heard they're more efficient that way). Now that the softener is working on the hot water taps I'm not sure if I should shut the hot water off? Is softened water bad for RO units?

Madmak
03-09-2013, 01:49 AM
Softened water is much more gentle on the RO membranes. My Kinetico RO system's warrantee was tripled in length since it was installed along with a water softener and dechlorinator.

asylumdown
03-09-2013, 02:28 AM
So what you're saying is, I shouldn't have had the specifically exclude the cold water line to my RO unit from the softened system? Sigh. Times you wish you'd consulted Canreef.

Madmak
03-09-2013, 02:51 AM
So what you're saying is, I shouldn't have had the specifically exclude the cold water line to my RO unit from the softened system?

Ya... Kinda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

asylumdown
03-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Sigh again. Well, maybe I'll make the warm water a higher ratio

11purewater
03-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Maybe put the RO in the basement and cut in a valve on the outlet of the softener.