PDA

View Full Version : Woodwork helper wanted (Langley/Surrey area)

duncangweller
03-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Hi all,

I am re-skin-ing my stand prior to moving house and am going to make it ADA style. Seeing as I have no tools other than a screwdriver, a spanner and a hand saw, Im not particularly equipped for cutting giant sheets of MDF.

Is there someone local with perhaps at least a circular saw who could help me cut some panels? My experience with the friendly people at home depot and their wonky cuts hasn't been to great and I news dead straight lines. I would be happy to chuck in a couple of tinnies as compensation.

Thanks all,
Dunc

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

monocus
03-09-2013, 03:30 AM
i would stay away from mdf.any water gets in the sides and it swells and disintegrates.if your ever in the burnaby area i can help you with cuts etc.

frd72
03-09-2013, 04:17 AM
It is easy to cut mdf. if you want you can borrow my circular saw??:lol:

Hi all,

I am re-skin-ing my stand prior to moving house and am going to make it ADA style. Seeing as I have no tools other than a screwdriver, a spanner and a hand saw, Im not particularly equipped for cutting giant sheets of MDF.

Is there someone local with perhaps at least a circular saw who could help me cut some panels? My experience with the friendly people at home depot and their wonky cuts hasn't been to great and I news dead straight lines. I would be happy to chuck in a couple of tinnies as compensation.

Thanks all,
Dunc

ckmullin
03-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Seal the MDF...that is key. before you throw it together seal the edges...throw it all together and seal all surface area in + out.

Evilweevil
03-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Don't use mdf it's a sponge, sealed or not sealed use medex it's basically mdf with better glues and different additives to make it water resistant places like Windsor plywood would have this and are able to do a cut list for you ,I would think better then Home Depot also ( maybe)

ckmullin
03-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Someone can use mdf as I've used it more than once. While it isn't my FIRST choice...someone can use it, as said key is to seal. It's also a skin, not structure.

Evilweevil
03-09-2013, 02:35 PM
For relatively the same cost you can get a product that is made to be more water resistant so why wouldnt you ?being a finishing carpenter I wouldn't use mdf myself as I see sealed mdf swelling and falling apart all the time with very little water exposure , but yes you could use it

ckmullin
03-09-2013, 03:04 PM
It wasn't the point of what is the best the OP of this topic asked about mdf not another product. I've been around wood for a number of years too and know in's and out's. :wink:

Evilweevil
03-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Yes I am sure you work with word and that you are very handy with it :lol:

whatcaneyedo
03-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi all,

Thanks all,
Dunc

Doesn't your Home Depot have a large stationary panel saw like ours? Unless the saw is out of alignment or loose on its guides it should be able to make straighter cuts than some weekend warrior with a circular saw. Even the folks at a Windsor Plywood should be able to do a better job on their table saw. I haven't done much finish carpentry during my apprenticeship but when I have I put the circular saw away and set up the compound mitre and table.

I agree about the use of MDF as being a poor choice for use in a wet environment as well. If you're concerned about the appearance and longevity of your finished product why not spend a little more for a higher quality and more durable material like plywood?

Evilweevil
03-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Oh damn I ruined that lol ..... Word , wood ... Mdf ,medex it's all the same

duncangweller
03-09-2013, 08:58 PM
I saw some stuff called Medite at Windsor and asked them about cuts and they said they would do rough cuts but they are designed to be cut again afterwards to finish.

I already have the structure of the stand, the MDF/Medite whatever it may be would just be a skin.

I really like a modern ADA style as this will fit in with my new condo and furniture. So MDF seemed like it was the smoothest finish to accomplish this.

I welcome all your input so thanks for the advice guys and gals.