PDA

View Full Version : Noobie needing tips

jason604
03-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Hi there I'm planning to get my first saltwater aquarium set up and I have a few questions. I'm most likely planning to get a pre-owned set up about 75+ gal with hopefully led lights as I am having coral. I'm from Vancouver so I'm wondering would I need to also get a chiller or will the led light not make it that hot during summer compared to a MH light? Do I need a sump and what is it for? If I get used live rock/coral/ fish if possible do I have to do anything to them first to disinfect them just in case previous owner had bad things living on them? Also if I end up buying live rock that's been out of the water for a long time would they come alive again? Can I add fish and coral right away if live rock is established but totally new salt water?

Sorry for all the noob questions but I want to get everything right the first time so I won't have to make horrible mistakes n lose massive $$ and time. Thanks in advance:biggrin:

Fort
03-08-2013, 10:50 AM
How long have you been in the fish keeping hobby? Salt water can be difficult for the new Aquarist. It sounds like you need to goggle and do some reading, especially on what a sump helps with. There is tons of information all over the net on this subject.
Getting a pre owned tank set up is a good idea you can often find full set ups for a lot cheaper then store bought items. Buying a chiller some say might be necessary really it depends on your set up, whether getting natural sun light, does your residence get extremely hot in the summer.
If you purchase cured live rock you can add fish right away but usually best to wait a day or so and test for Ammonia levels. I don't recommend you add coral, coral is for experienced hobbyists only.
As for the dead rock, if you clean off old live rock and add one piece of cured live rock, the organisms on the cured rock should spread and bring life to the dead rock. The same can happen with sand.
Start with fish only system and give it 8 months or so and see how you do before trying a reef tank. It is a very expensive hobby if one fish gets sick and spreads the disease around.
From your list of questions it sounds like you have a lot of reading ahead of you if you truly want to do it right. :biggrin:

Proteus
03-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Hi there I'm planning to get my first saltwater aquarium set up and I have a few questions. I'm most likely planning to get a pre-owned set up about 75+ gal with hopefully led lights as I am having coral. I'm from Vancouver so I'm wondering would I need to also get a chiller or will the led light not make it that hot during summer compared to a MH light? Do I need a sump and what is it for? If I get used live rock/coral/ fish if possible do I have to do anything to them first to disinfect them just in case previous owner had bad things living on them? Also if I end up buying live rock that's been out of the water for a long time would they come alive again? Can I add fish and coral right away if live rock is established but totally new salt water?

Sorry for all the noob questions but I want to get everything right the first time so I won't have to make horrible mistakes n lose massive $$ and time. Thanks in advance:biggrin:

Welcome to Canreef. Ill try to help but there lots of info and experienced people here. Don't rush. That will cost you
A sump holds all your unsightly equip, plus a fuge and more rock for bacterial filtration.
I would suggest you start with a fish only tank and add corals as your tank matures so you can learn to understand water parameters and how they affect the tank. If you start with a tank full of coral and not understanding how you tank works and what the params mean you will end up with tank full of deadness

Live rock that is out of water for a long time is now dead rock and full of dead organics. It needs to be "cooked" to rid of the organics. ( soaking in water to pull nutrients out)
Even a established tank can give you problems after a move as it gets all stirred up. So

Buy a tank sump and stand that you like. Set it up with desired rock and sand.
Buy your lights what ever you choose. There are benifits and drawback to each
A good skimmer and media reactors will need to come.
IMO buying cheap equipment will cost more in long run so reaserch before you buy

Look in to carbon dosing of some sort

Fish should be quarantine to treat for parasites before adding to DT
Coral can be dipped with coral rx, revive to rid pest

Read read read and lots of Q's if it wasn't for Canreef I wouldn't be in the hobby anymore.

Oh and plan on being broke. Lol

jorjef
03-08-2013, 12:09 PM
No you won't need a chiller, do not put your tank in direct sunlight. No do not put fish in right away even with live rock unless you want to use it as a canary. There are very basic corals available is you want to give the a try. Experience is not a necessity. Start your tank as you want to have it a year down the road as an example don't buy fish now that are not compatible with corals if corals is what you want down the road. If FOWLR is what you want it's not so much of a worry. A sump for the most part is a storage compartment for equipment you may want to add down the road to keep your display tank uncluttered its not a necessity I don't use one any don't have any problems.

Dearth
03-08-2013, 02:35 PM
First off welcome to the forums and reefing

A few months ago when I was still fairly new to reefing I posted about basics for a nano reef most will apply to you but there are others here better suited to tell you about larger setups as I am a nano reefer and sumps are out of my realm of knowledge.

Nano reef basics
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91423

Any questions you have there are many experienced reefers here that are willing to help and many in the lower mainland area that can offer knowledge as well. A good LFS is J & L aquatics that can help you as well.

pinkreef
03-08-2013, 03:27 PM
SHOPPING LIST ONE
TANK STAND SALTMIX POWERHEAD SKIMMER LIVEROCK HEATER THERMOMETER
ALSO SAND IF YOU WANT

SHOPPING LIST TWO
ANOTHER POWERHEAD LIGHTFIXTURE

WATCH IT GROW AND CYCLE (THIS IS AN INTERESTING PART)

SHOPPING LIST THREE
TURBO SNAIL CERITH SNAIL ASSORTED SMALL HERMITS
(NO TO BLUE KNUCKLE )
MUSHROOMS XENIA ZOES LPS

IVE PROBABLY LEFT OUT SOMETHING BUT YOU GET THE IDEA
HAVE FUN

kien
03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
so I won't have to make horrible mistakes n lose massive $$ and time. Thanks in advance:biggrin:

Welcome to Canreef! Great answers to your questions already. I will add though that even the most seasoned hobbyists still make mistakes and lose massive amounts of time and money :-) It's just part of the game :lol:

jason604
03-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Thx for all the tip guys. I don't have any saltwater experience. I do have a koi pond which is very easy to take care of.

kien
03-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I do have a koi pond which is very easy to take care of.

Nice. Pics? :-)

jason604
03-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Here u go

kien
03-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Here u go

Wow! Very nice! :-)

asylumdown
03-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Welcome!

ah gate way dru... um, I mean Koi.

1. If you can find a complete system, that's great. If you can't get a whole package and you've got some patience and willingness to stay on top of the FS board on here, you can probably piece together most of a system in a couple of months.

2. Titus mentioned it, but buy the best equipment you can possibly afford, specifically the best skimmer and best lights you can afford. $150 bucks might look like a steal compared to a better, $300 unit, but 99 times out of 100, you'll end up replacing the bargain piece of equipment in 6 months because of poor performance. It effectively turns your $300 purchase in to a $450 purchase.

3. Make friends with at least a couple of forums. They're an invaluable repository of experiential knowledge, but always keep in mind that as good as they are, you can't always trust the quality of the information. The number of "old wives tales" that get repeated as fact on the internet may actually dwarf the good information, so you have to develop a way to critically sort through what you're reading while making decisions about products, methods, and inhabitants. It gets easier with time.

4. There are 90 ways to skin every cat, but there are some things about reefing that you can't avoid. You need an intentional system to deal with nutrients (phosphate, nitrate). There's literally dozens of methods and accompanying products that range in terms of maintenance, cost, and simplicity. They all have their proponents, drawbacks, success stories, and horror stories. They also all have their groupies and haters. Research a few of them in depth and pick a system that makes sense to you, works with the kind of tank you want to keep, Then, understand how and why it works, and set up your tank around that. Not tackling nutrient export with the same care and intentionality as how you choose your lights and plumbing will cause you no end of headaches.

5. And lastly, know that 'reef safe' is a relative term ;)

pinkreef
03-08-2013, 08:14 PM
NICE!

Reef Pilot
03-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Good advice from everyone, and lots of reading available on the internet with some google searches. I just got started with SW a few years ago myself, and learned a few things the hard way. So here is my tip for you.

Set up a quarantine tank right from the start. It can be simple to keep running. Just use an old canister filter, and change water using the old water from your display tank after a water change. Keep the tank bare with maybe a bit of live rock. When you get new fish, QT them for a min of 2 months using the hyposalinity method. Here is a good write-up for that.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23131-hyposalinity-treatment-process.html

You can indeed start off without a QT, but after a year or less, and a couple of episodes of Marine Ich, you will very much regret that decision, I'm sure. Marine Ich is very different from FW Ich, so don't get complacent if you previously dealt with it easily with FW. That will not be the case with SW.

Good luck, and look forward to seeing your progress.

somewherebeyondthesea
03-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Welcome to Canreef!:Banane27:

Looks like you got great feedback from some great canreefers!

Here is a site that i started with, and currently still use when I have questions:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/sort/beginner

Also I don't think it has been mentioned, but beware of the canreef bristleworms (aka internet trolls) They can sometimes be a little harsh:director: but they usually mean well, just don't take their insulting posts to heart.

My favorite thing about canreef as opposed to other forums, is that this one is relatively local and saltwater specific :biggrin:

One last thing, if you think something is wrong, ask as quick as you can, most things you can catch and save if you send out a post quickly to diagnose it! Don't be shy!

Cheers,

Steve :plane:

jason604
03-09-2013, 04:49 AM
it seems i found a very active and friendly group of ppl in this forum that is willing to instantly give tips and years of experience worth of advice.

i have a small 50gal tank should i start putting some live rock and sand in it to start the water system then move everything into my new hopefully 75g+ tank once i find an awesome setup for cheap on here?? will that work so i dont have to wait so long for the system to cycle?? all i have so far is my old tank and an overflow filter.. will that be enough to start the cycle?

also here is a few better pics of my kois jsut for the hell of it =)

also how do u post pictures that ppl dont need click the link to see?

lockrookie
03-09-2013, 05:13 AM
If you don't have one get a photobucket account or something similar. Each picture is given 4 different links. Use the IMG link in your post if you click on it in photobucket it auto copies for you

This is what it looks like on my iPhone when I select the pic

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/1671CB9B-8413-495C-A97F-B3B623EC1B4C-11855-000010C695432C6B.jpg

This is what it looks like when you post via website when you paste the link. Now you can add the brackets to your URL too if you so choose

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/03B82F9F-BE09-468F-A5EE-F79FADA63164-10485-00000AA6C41D2E77.jpg

And the result after you hit enter is this

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/14D91675-507F-41EB-ADCF-FDB297BF8FE1-7734-00000778415F35D5.jpg

Now keep in mind while building a tank make sure you have helpers lol

asylumdown
03-09-2013, 05:53 AM
If you don't have one get a photobucket account or something similar. Each picture is given 4 different links. Use the IMG link in your post if you click on it in photobucket it auto copies for you

This is what it looks like on my iPhone when I select the pic

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/1671CB9B-8413-495C-A97F-B3B623EC1B4C-11855-000010C695432C6B.jpg

This is what it looks like when you post via website when you paste the link. Now you can add the brackets to your URL too if you so choose

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/03B82F9F-BE09-468F-A5EE-F79FADA63164-10485-00000AA6C41D2E77.jpg

And the result after you hit enter is this

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/14D91675-507F-41EB-ADCF-FDB297BF8FE1-7734-00000778415F35D5.jpg

Now keep in mind while building a tank make sure you have helpers lol

"No Brain, No Pain!"

But yes, got a photobucket.com account, then one the photos are uploaded you can get links that display your images in text forum posts

Ram3500
03-09-2013, 06:03 AM
Start small thing big :)