PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton technology: giving made in American a bad name

FitoPharmer
03-07-2013, 11:11 PM
I just had the worst Customer service experience of my life thanks to Hamilton technology. I warn anyone to stay away from their products. I received a defective light from them in that the metal ends of the light appear to be made and assembled warped. This makes the light leak out of the sides and top of the fixture. The rivets holding the end caps on were extremely poor in quality with metal burrs sticking out and where the protective paint was chipped off around some of the rivets during installation it was replaced with what appears to be magic marker. There are several spots where they forgot to paint the edges, making it super easy to rust in those spots. One of the reflectors was majorly bent out of place, and this was totally on the inside of the unit. There was also damage to one of the ballasts, the leg was bent in one side making so the unit did not sit upright.

When I opened the unit and found these issues, I called up customer service. Shortly after my refusing a set of free bulbs to make up for the poor quality light we started arguing about if the damage was caused by poor manufacturing or shipping.

Im no physicist, however, in my mind the bending would be impossible duing shipping due to the fact that all the metal is bent outwards and not inwards, like you would expect if it was dropped of smashed. The only item that has this damage was the ballast, which I can see being dropped. They refused to accept any of the damage being theirs, even the rivets, until I gave the customer server agent a: are you kidding me fedex messed up your rivets too? Finally they accepted that some of the damage was caused by poor construction and refunded me the $140 shipping cost, but said the majority of the damage was still caused by shipping. So I put in a fedex damaged goods claim to hopefully recoup the rest of the damages on the unit. Long story short after 2 months later and wasting around 6 hours of my time playing telephone tag the company offered to replace the unit free of charge, which is what I asked for in the first place and they denied.

Sigh,
It just feels a little better to get that rant out.

Bblinks
03-07-2013, 11:15 PM
sorry to hear

Mike-fish
03-08-2013, 04:00 AM
Sooty to hear you had such a bad time. I've been using Hamilton tech for the past six years great units untill last year when the contacts started to fail. But unlike your expierience I had great service and had replacement contacts right away installing the new ones is another story. Nice thing is I haven't had a problem with the ballast unlike other brands

JCharles
03-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Made in America was ever a good name? :lol:

Buy German.