PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic manufacturer

Ginu
03-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know a affordable manufacturer for acrylic tanks? I'm looking for a sump measuring something around the lines of:

18"l * 18"w * 20" h

Anyone have any ideas whats a good and affordable company to deal with somewhere in Vancouver/Burnaby/North Shore area?

Thanks,

ScubaSteve
03-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Does anyone know a affordable manufacturer for acrylic tanks? I'm looking for a sump measuring something around the lines of:

18"l * 18"w * 20" h

Anyone have any ideas whats a good and affordable company to deal with somewhere in Vancouver/Burnaby/North Shore area?

Thanks,

I'm not sure if they do tanks but check with associated plastics. They do awesome work.

mseepman
03-06-2013, 11:52 PM
I won't say they are especially affordable, but Interior Plastics and Paints has made some sumps for me before.

Ginu
03-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Well I just got a quote from Peregrine for 591 for a 18 by 17 by 24 with one divider... Basically I want to make a fuge with a portion of the tank for rodi water and $591 b4 taxes seems steep.

Mike-fish
03-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Honestly I wouldn't bother with getting it out of acrylic as it looks like its going to run you a crazy amount of money. Way cheaper to get a glass one made. Even if it needs to be shipped

ScubaSteve
03-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Heck, build your own tank! Get the acrylic cut to size and assemble yourself. Intimidating but not as hard as you think.

Ginu
03-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Well I would much rather prefer an acrylic over glass for a fuge.

I was thinking of getting the pieces cut to size then gluing it myself; I'm assuming this will save some serious cash. Now if I would want to purchase the precut pieces and doing it myself, how do i determine the exact size of the divider?

sphelps
03-07-2013, 04:21 PM
You should be about to source 1/4" cast pre cut with jointed edges for around $5-6 per sq foot.

For 18x18x20

Front and back = 18x20
Bottom = 18.125x20.125
Sides = 17.5 x 20 (x2)
Divider = 17.5 x desired height.

The bottom is a little bigger so you don't end up with the seam right on the edge or overhanging, that can be problematic for the glue. You do the same idea for the sides, sit them slightly inwards and directly on edge. The can router off excess material with a trim 3 flute bit.

The glue or solvent you want is weldon 4

sirruckus
03-07-2013, 04:41 PM
try laird plastics in delta for anything made out of plastic sheet or tube

msjboy
03-07-2013, 06:05 PM
HI Ginu,
if you are interested, you can assist me with doing up a sump as I have 2 sets of 3/16 acrylic already cut up.... plastic is free for you but you will help each other for the build... needs 2 hands and time. I have a new 80 tooth blade ( no table saw but I think I can borrow one) , weld-on 4 ( though I need to buy a hypo needle applicator, thin piano wire, a couple of clamps, and 3 quick squares.

The sump is 20 by 17 by15H though. I was going to make it something like: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/63045-sump-refugium-rsm-130d-2.html for my red sea max 130.
Also see

Did you see if northwest plastics in North Vancouver can do it?
Also check for plexiglass on craigslist... 1/4" is best but 3/16 should work for tank of that size with baffles for bracing.

also see
http://www.melevsreef.com/tools.html
http://www.melevsreef.com/29g/sump/design.html

msjboy

Ginu
03-07-2013, 07:12 PM
msjboy - I would love to give you a couple of helping hands for the experience at least :) and then go from there. I will PM you for more details.

I tried North Shore plastics but they are expensive as well, thanks for the suggestions.

KevinK
03-08-2013, 02:24 AM
msjboy - I would love to give you a couple of helping hands for the experience at least :) and then go from there. I will PM you for more details.

I tried North Shore plastics but they are expensive as well, thanks for the suggestions.

i would brace the sides in the midel, as it wil bend.

I build this sump last year, se http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88919

i had the bottom 1 inch wider all around, and put a 1 inch strip around ( so the sides have in fact 2 sides to put the weld on, and than a 1/2 inch rod on the inside, making it a 3 double weld.

Than 1/2 way up I put a 1 inch strip, as you can se, and than a top brace

sobe
03-10-2013, 12:42 AM
It's cheaper to go with a glass sump from used tanks. I've built 2 already one from a 20g and another from a 40g

Ginu
03-12-2013, 10:59 PM
i would brace the sides in the midel, as it wil bend.

I build this sump last year, se http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88919

i had the bottom 1 inch wider all around, and put a 1 inch strip around ( so the sides have in fact 2 sides to put the weld on, and than a 1/2 inch rod on the inside, making it a 3 double weld.

Than 1/2 way up I put a 1 inch strip, as you can se, and than a top brace

Too expensive for me :(

I might have found a alternate option though. Order the sump from US and have it shipped at the border, or to get it even cheaper I can have the panels cut to size and shipped to the border (this option will involve buying proper glue and making the sump myself)