PDA

View Full Version : Future of reef keeping hardware

stellarfly
03-06-2013, 04:54 AM
Hey guys,

I was pondering this topic the other day. What does the future hold when it comes to reef keeping hardware? Here are some of the questions:
Will running carbon and gfo still be mainstay in the next ten years?
Will protein skimmers be around? ( they have been for sometime already with very little change)
Will something replace led or is this technology just getting started?
Quieter return pumps?
Will new media be invented?
More automation making controlling tanks a breeze?

Floor is open. Would love to read what are people's thoughts on this.

reeferfulton
03-06-2013, 05:16 AM
I think pumps will remain virtually the same .. maybe a bit more efficient versions of the DC pumps already out .

I think the LED lighting will continue to advance slowly each year .and $1200 light today will be a sump light in 10 years .

cant comment on the rest .

JmeJReefer
03-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Light Emitting Plasma fixtures becoming affordable.

11purewater
03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Low temp LEDs you could mould right into glass or acrylic eurobracing.I like the look of sleek and uncluttered tanks.Also I think dosing will replace water changes eventually.

kien
03-06-2013, 03:08 PM
nanobots that can be programmed to attack and eradicate any tank nuisances. That is all.

sphelps
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
I think ultimately all our ocean reefs will either become endangered or destroyed resulting in zero wild caught livestock. Supply and demand will then cause aquacultured livestock to skyrocket in price making marine aquariums unaffordable to the general public and thus halting any further advancement in technology due to the lack of market for it. :sad:

reeferfulton
03-06-2013, 03:50 PM
wow there is doom and gloom for ya .

This is likely to happen , but not in our lifetime .. and by then you will be able to 3D print a live tank inhabitant :mrgreen: lol just kidding