PDA

View Full Version : My Half in, half out of wall 330 starfire build.

Jeff000
03-06-2013, 02:25 AM
Huge work in progress, but I feel I am far enough in to start a thread and not have it move too slowly.
I started with a 90g in my condo, and once I bought my house I knew a bigger tank is what I needed, so a 330g 72x32x32. So to start I bought a 220g sump (72x30x22) to house the occupants of the 90g from my condo till I could afford to build the Display.

Started by spending hours figuring out how the basement will look. (Did this before I even had possession.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8531479749_7a6f9a9291_c.jpg
The tank is 2/3's in the living room, and 1/3 in the fish/furnace room.

Walls going up.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8086/8530578856_8bc6a6ab69_c.jpg

Walls kinda up, dry walled and painted the important ones. And put up a two tube 8' T8 fixture.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8529466137_025228fc09_c.jpg
Huge mess, the sump turned temp holding tank is full of water and a bunch of live rock added.

Decided I needed a frag tank, and couldn't find room, so I hung it from the ceiling. You can see my skimmer and diy led fixtures.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8234/8530575256_a72f5524ba_c.jpg

After a few months the money to order the tank was available, so time to build the stand.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8095/8530574128_09ea23cc7b_c.jpg
It's all glued and screwed.

My saltwater mixing station, 20g fresh water barrel on top of a 45g salt mixing station. It's piped to the sump now, not pictured.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8090/8529465539_5759265a5a_c.jpg

Putting the top and bracing on the stand.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8367/8530573262_a06306152c_c.jpg

Because the tank is half in the wall I needed to have a table for them to build the tank on. Tank is 72x32x32.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8514/8529459617_e3345992f9_c.jpg

Tank is built, black vinyl on the sides, black acrylic on the back.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8088/8530571424_d1256fec1a_c.jpg

Bad news though, they scratched the main glass.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8249/8532521912_1d9d275e74_z.jpg
1.5" scratch that was pretty much dead center and eye level. sigh.

Replacement front glass....
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8231/8529455091_9f02df5615_c.jpg
Yup, that's a scratch again. same spot but a vertical scratch instead of horizontal.

How'd that 4 year old get in there?
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8514/8530570218_c92d734d80_c.jpg
Thirt time was the charm for the glass.

External overflow.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8530570652_44c09f2703_c.jpg

Didn't want to take a chance with another scratch.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8513/8530567024_d890c4ba4c_c.jpg
5 bucks worth of painters tape.

And 15 bucks worth of corrugated plastic.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8368/8530566502_3172f5b2ef_c.jpg

Did I mention I hate drywall work?
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8236/8530564812_bec53d134c_c.jpg

A shot of the starting of the of my plumbing, and the hanging frag tank with my sump fish tank.
Just need to finish the plumbing and wait for the silicon to dry.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8247/8530565938_50da8a001d_c.jpg

It'll be and SPS tank.
I have the following fish right now:
Gold flake angel
Chevron tang
Blue throat trigger pair
4 snowflake clowns
5 Lyretail anthias

Want to add:
Purple tang
Yellow tang
Sailfin tang
Magnificent fox face
Blonde naso

I want to put an exhaust fan in the room too, but I need the exhaust to travel about 14'. Is that ok for a normal fan? or should I do an inline type fan?

cuz
03-06-2013, 02:34 AM
looks great!! I'd pull the vinyl off the back, its nice to be able to see everything from the back side, you wont really notice it from the front.

Jeff000
03-06-2013, 02:53 AM
looks great!! I'd pull the vinyl off the back, its nice to be able to see everything from the back side, you wont really notice it from the front.

Thanks.
It's an acrylic panel in the back. I've never seen a tank that I can see through that I liked, so I'll leave it there though.
I'll be able to see top down pretty easy.

Zoaelite
03-06-2013, 03:08 AM
Really excited to see where this goes, subscribed!

Have you run your stand by an engineer yet? I'm no expert but I would be a little wary with 330g of water on top of that beasty.

zum14
03-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Im along for this ride. Looks great so far. I do have to side with above though. But dont take me too literal as I tend to use 2X6's on a 20 gal stand. (not really but you get the idea)

xenon
03-06-2013, 03:23 AM
Very impressive build so far.

What program did you use to sketch the layout of your basement?

Jeff000
03-06-2013, 03:42 AM
Really excited to see where this goes, subscribed!

Have you run your stand by an engineer yet? I'm no expert but I would be a little wary with 330g of water on top of that beasty.

Im along for this ride. Looks great so far. I do have to side with above though. But dont take me too literal as I tend to use 2X6's on a 20 gal stand. (not really but you get the idea)

Thanks, I'm excited too.

As for how much the stand can hold.... Some math borrowed from an engineer.

Facts for the discussion:
-The parallel compression rate of a 2x4 -- 4,800 psi
-The rough end measurements of a 2x4 -- 1.5" x 3.5"
-Number of 2x4 in the pictured stand -- 19

The Math behind the discussion:
The Parallel capacity:

First, we take the end measurements of the 2x4 and figure the contact area. This is

1.5 * 3.5 = 5.25

This gives us 5.25 square inches of contact are per 2x4.

Second, we figure the total area that will be in contact. Remember that we have nineteen 2x4s supporting the frame of the tank. So, we multiply the number of 2x4s by the end area of a single 2x4.

19 * 5.25 = 99.75

We have 99.75 square inches of contact area.

Third, we bring in the compression rate of the 2x4s in relation to the number of square inches of contact area.

99.75 * 4,800 = 475200.

This tells us that the stand in question will vertically support 475,200lbs, assuming all other factors remain constant.

The Perpendicular capacity:

Now you need to look at the Parallel compression of a 2x4, remembering from above, the compression strength was 440 psi.

So we bring back the surface area

19 * 5.25 = 99.75

Then we multiply by the compression strength.

99.75 x 440 = 43,890 lbs

The tank is say 600 lbs. 330g of salt water is lets say 3300 lbs, and lets say I put 500 lbs of rocks in. That's 4400 lbs on the far upper reach of what my tank could weigh. So I have a 10x safety factor, not counting how much the all the cross bracing and stuff adds to the compression strength.

madchild

I'd agree with that too. That thing has gotta be pushing 4000+lbs when full.

Jeff000
Very impressive build so far.

What program did you use to sketch the layout of your basement?

Thanks
Google sketch up, it's awesome.

sphelps
03-06-2013, 04:57 AM
That stand is more than overkill. Keep up the good work. What's that secret room next to the stairs for?
http://forum.ghbsys.net/public/style_emoticons/default/smiley_emoticons_joint.gif

reeferfulton
03-06-2013, 05:09 AM
this build is looking great .. Stand looks pretty bad ass to me .
will be following this thread for sure !

kien
03-06-2013, 05:30 AM
:pop2:

PS. Are you a giant by any chance??

Jeff000
03-06-2013, 01:33 PM
That stand is more than overkill. Keep up the good work. What's that secret room next to the stairs for?
http://forum.ghbsys.net/public/style_emoticons/default/smiley_emoticons_joint.gif

Thanks,

lol, those two small rooms will be a laundry room and a bathroom. they are the only part of the basement I still haven't planned out. Although I am pretty sure that I am going to just do a pocket door from the bathroom into the laundry room, cause who cares if you have to walk through the bathroom getting to the laundry right?

this build is looking great .. Stand looks pretty bad ass to me .
will be following this thread for sure !

Thanks,

:pop2:

PS. Are you a giant by any chance??

Nope, 5'11". Why?

I'll have a bench to stand on behind the tank to make access easier. The top rim of the tank is at 6' tall.

mike31154
03-06-2013, 02:12 PM
The hanging frag tank is one of the coolest ideas I've seen. When was the house built? Looks like some monster beams/joists supporting the upstairs floor.

sphelps
03-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks,

lol, those two small rooms will be a laundry room and a bathroom. they are the only part of the basement I still haven't planned out. Although I am pretty sure that I am going to just do a pocket door from the bathroom into the laundry room, cause who cares if you have to walk through the bathroom getting to the laundry right?

Your basement looks like it's suppose to have two bedrooms on the one side and a bathroom between the two bedrooms. Is your rough in really on the far side by the window? Seems weird to me.

Jeff000
03-06-2013, 02:28 PM
The hanging frag tank is one of the coolest ideas I've seen. When was the house built? Looks like some monster beams/joists supporting the upstairs floor.

The house was built in 2012, I got possession May 1, 2012.
Fairly standard beams I think.

The tank is hanging with 3/8 ready rod, unistrut under the tank, and unistrut holding the ready rod (There is aluminium pipe over the ready rod to give it a nicer look and add some rigidity) from the ceiling, the one side of the unistrut is on top of one of the main laminated beams, and the other is on top of the wall I built, and I just reinforced that wall with a few extra 2x4.

I'm actually unsure if I want to keep the frag tank right now.

Jeff000
03-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Your basement looks like it's suppose to have two bedrooms on the one side and a bathroom between the two bedrooms. Is your rough in really on the far side by the window? Seems weird to me.

The bathroom rough in (toilet and tub) are in that room that has no doors. It's not a big deal to tear the concrete up and move the plumbing where ever I need though.
I have main floor laundry right now, and I hate it, it's in kind of a big closet and there is a closet on the other side to hand stuff up. Just not enough room for anything. So I'll turn the big closet where the washer and dryer are right now into an overstock pantry of sorts and the closet normally for handing up wet clothes into a seasonal clothing storage and linen closet.

I bought the house too late in construction to make any changes, but ya I think the "possible basement prints" they had showed 2 bedrooms with a bathroom between them. I don't need any more bedrooms though.

In what is the top corner of my picture (door will be moved to the right as far as I can), that is going to be a bathroom, it'll be 6' wide (wide as I can make it with the electrical panel where it is, and I have seriously thought about moving it, but that's a huge undertaking that I don't think will benefit me enough). So right as you enter the bathroom, the door will open to the left, immediately to the right will be a pocket door to the laundry room/storage room.
When you enter the bathroom there will be a standard size glass stand up shower on the left and then the toilet in the corner, I'll have a half wall between the shower and toilet, glass from the half wall to ceiling for the shower. And then the vanity pushed into the wall of the laundry room, gives me code clearance of the electrical panel and leaves me enough room for a normal sized door. I am just realizing I can not use a pocket door though.

I'd be SO much easier if I could put a tub/shower under the window, but I am not sure you can do that, or if you could how it would look.
I am putting a shower mostly for resale. I have it designed so that I can take the tank out and the walls there, build a wall close to the furnace, and build a wall at the post by the couch, closet going into the furnace room, makes a 12x10 bedroom in the basement and still leaves the rest of the basement open.

lastlight
03-06-2013, 02:49 PM
really nice work so far. even tho i wouldn't have left the stand completely unsupported in the middle i'm sure that will hold the tank just fine. is there a reason it's sorta open in the middle? you have the diagonal piece in there anyways which sorta kills that useable space...

and the hanging frag tank is awesome keep it!

kien
03-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Nope, 5'11". Why?

I'll have a bench to stand on behind the tank to make access easier. The top rim of the tank is at 6' tall.

I'm about as tall as your son there so as far as I am concerned, you are a GIANT! :-)

Seriously though, that depth is going to be ridiculously fun to aquascape I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing that!

sphelps
03-06-2013, 03:00 PM
The bathroom rough in (toilet and tub) are in that room that has no doors. It's not a big deal to tear the concrete up and move the plumbing where ever I need though.
I have main floor laundry right now, and I hate it, it's in kind of a big closet and there is a closet on the other side to hand stuff up. Just not enough room for anything. So I'll turn the big closet where the washer and dryer are right now into an overstock pantry of sorts and the closet normally for handing up wet clothes into a seasonal clothing storage and linen closet.

I bought the house too late in construction to make any changes, but ya I think the "possible basement prints" they had showed 2 bedrooms with a bathroom between them. I don't need any more bedrooms though.

In what is the top corner of my picture (door will be moved to the right as far as I can), that is going to be a bathroom, it'll be 6' wide (wide as I can make it with the electrical panel where it is, and I have seriously thought about moving it, but that's a huge undertaking that I don't think will benefit me enough). So right as you enter the bathroom, the door will open to the left, immediately to the right will be a pocket door to the laundry room/storage room.
When you enter the bathroom there will be a standard size glass stand up shower on the left and then the toilet in the corner, I'll have a half wall between the shower and toilet, glass from the half wall to ceiling for the shower. And then the vanity pushed into the wall of the laundry room, gives me code clearance of the electrical panel and leaves me enough room for a normal sized door. I am just realizing I can not use a pocket door though.

I'd be SO much easier if I could put a tub/shower under the window, but I am not sure you can do that, or if you could how it would look.
I am putting a shower mostly for resale. I have it designed so that I can take the tank out and the walls there, build a wall close to the furnace, and build a wall at the post by the couch, closet going into the furnace room, makes a 12x10 bedroom in the basement and still leaves the rest of the basement open.

I always just recommend people consider resale when they develop their basements, that's a lot of space to use for just a laundry room and bathroom and honestly potential home buyers are not likely going to be overly thrilled about the layout although I understand this is hardly ever the concern of the current new home owner.

I'd consider one bedroom in the top right, could be used as office or storage but a spare room on a different floor for the in-laws is quite handy :wink:. Keep the bathroom in the middle, could easily do a bathroom/laundry room combo in that space. Push the cabinet out a bit towards the pool table and put door for the bathroom between the poll and the stairs. Also a a second door from the bathroom to spare room would be a good idea. This way it's developed the way it should be, and future buyers could easily put up another wall to frame in the second bedroom if they want.

Jeff000
03-06-2013, 03:11 PM
really nice work so far. even tho i wouldn't have left the stand completely unsupported in the middle i'm sure that will hold the tank just fine. is there a reason it's sorta open in the middle? you have the diagonal piece in there anyways which sorta kills that useable space...

and the hanging frag tank is awesome keep it!

I think you are looking at the wrong picture. I had to build a table of sorts for them to build the tank on, and then slide the tank onto the actual stand.

I'm about as tall as your son there so as far as I am concerned, you are a GIANT! :-)

Seriously though, that depth is going to be ridiculously fun to aquascape I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing that!

I'm excited and scared to aquascape it, lol. One of my main live rock pieces is 45lbs and large. I'm half thinking of swimming to do the aquascape. lol

I always just recommend people consider resale when they develop their basements, that's a lot of space to use for just a laundry room and bathroom and honestly potential home buyers are not likely going to be overly thrilled about the layout although I understand this is hardly ever the concern of the current new home owner.

I'd consider one bedroom in the top right, could be used as office or storage but a spare room on a different floor for the in-laws is quite handy :wink:. Keep the bathroom in the middle, could easily do a bathroom/laundry room combo in that space. Push the cabinet out a bit towards the pool table and put door for the bathroom between the poll and the stairs. Also a a second door from the bathroom to spare room would be a good idea. This way it's developed the way it should be, and future buyers could easily put up another wall to frame in the second bedroom if they want.

I plan on being here for 14 years (till the kid is 18). I'd rather get 14 years of enjoyment and then worry about the next guy at that point. It'll probably be due for a reno by then anyways.

Can't push the bar out to the pool table anymore, otherwise I lose the clearance needed to play pool.

I have thought about leaving the bathroom where it is though and putting a door between the stairs and the pole, just make the bar shorter so the door could open, so you would have to kind of open the door and then go left a bit to get into the bathroom. And then make the room with the window a laundry room that could later be made into whatever.
But then I thought having the door to the bathroom into the main area like that is kind of strange isn't it? Or is that the norm?

sphelps
03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
The wall next to the stairs the way you have it now is strange, it needs a door there. You could also do a pocket door which means a little rework on the framing around the stairs but simple stuff.

While obviously you don't have plans on selling anytime soon the basement development is likely going to be in the $40-50K range so if you want this money to add to your house value you have to consider other people would consider value as well. A 14 year reno would be along the lines of changing flooring and bathroom fixtures and cabinets, knocking down walls, jack hammering concrete and moving plumbing would be a little extreme for a 14 year old house reno.

But anyway enough about basements, lets see some more tank progress :biggrin:

lastlight
03-06-2013, 08:08 PM
I think you are looking at the wrong picture.

Wow I totally was. Your stand is def a strong one. Ignore me!

reef-keeper
03-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Following!!! Great build!!

zhasan
03-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Looks like an awesome build! Looking forward to learn a few things from your experience.

Zoaelite
03-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Wow I totally was. Your stand is def a strong one. Ignore me!

I was thinking the exact same thing, actually PMed our resident engineer to make sure that would hold but he pointed this out to me as well :razz:.

Bblinks
03-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Nice build. Tagging along.

Evilweevil
03-07-2013, 12:40 AM
Nice build ! If I had that much room at the back of my tank I would consider a shadow box for a backdrop ,and judging by your stand you seem handy enough to pull it off

Here's a link to what I am talking abouthttp://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825

zum14
03-07-2013, 02:20 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing, actually PMed our resident engineer to make sure that would hold but he pointed this out to me as well :razz:.

Yup. Me too. (the looking at the wrong stand. not the engineer thing)

Jeff000
03-07-2013, 03:04 AM

I'm still looking for an exhaust fan that can go about 12 feet though.
Any ideas?

The wall next to the stairs the way you have it now is strange, it needs a door there. You could also do a pocket door which means a little rework on the framing around the stairs but simple stuff.

I'm not really sure I have the vertical clearance. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. I think I would rather leave the bathroom where it is, and have the door from the main living room part, as long as that's not weird.

Nice build ! If I had that much room at the back of my tank I would consider a shadow box for a backdrop ,and judging by your stand you seem handy enough to pull it off

Here's a link to what I am talking abouthttp://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825

Hmm, had I seen that before I probably would have done that. But with the external overflow and plumbing it's a little too late. That and the acrylic that is on the back is glued on.

Jeff000
03-07-2013, 03:10 AM
Few more pictures too.
Only progress I have made so far is second mudding and painting the drywall above the tank.
FYI, even white paint makes a bad mud job look worse... Thank go it's not visible to anyone.

I do have a few supplies for when I start the tank up.

A small skimmer. Salt bucket for scale (I do not use that salt ever, it's just a bucket)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8092/8534972379_e9ea2897bb_c.jpg
Vertex Alpha 300

Also got the motorized cleaning lid. No idea how it works yet, but excited.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8226/8534972055_84cf7f28a6_c.jpg

Also two media reactors, the RX-U 2.0
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8522/8534972831_17f42ebf2d_c.jpg
Not sure where to put these yet.

A little bit of salt, and 360lbs of sand.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8243/8534971691_2de8e108e2_c.jpg

HaZRaTTy
03-07-2013, 03:21 AM
A little bit of salt, and 360lbs of sand.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8243/8534971691_2de8e108e2_c.jpg[/QUOTE]

Omg - Hoe My Gawd

That's a lot of salt..

Jeff000
03-07-2013, 03:22 AM
Omg - Hoe My Gawd

That's a lot of salt..

I have 1.5 more boxes in the fish room too..... :twised:

I had a hard time finding reefers best a few months ago, so split a large shipment with someone else. I'd probably buy more if I could find it. It doesn't go bad, lol.

HaZRaTTy
03-07-2013, 03:24 AM
Whats your address.. you don't need that stuff I will come pick it up for you and haul it away free of charge... It would look better in my basement anyways...:mrgreen:

Ps... Does your back hurt?

sphelps
03-07-2013, 03:46 AM
That is a lot of salt but that's also a lot of sand :surprise: Going deep?

Jeff000
03-07-2013, 04:23 AM
Whats your address.. you don't need that stuff I will come pick it up for you and haul it away free of charge... It would look better in my basement anyways...:mrgreen:

Ps... Does your back hurt?

lift with your legs, not your back.
I had it all sitting just inside the door until like 20 minutes before company was coming over, so had to rush it down the stairs, it was a lot of work. lol

That is a lot of salt but that's also a lot of sand :surprise: Going deep?

240 lbs of it are for a 2" cover in the tank. The rest is for a remote deep sand bed. I have more sand in the garage for the remote deep sand bed too.

subman
03-07-2013, 05:01 AM
Sweet looking setup!
Are you planning on running full zeo or just like reefers best salt?

Jeff000
03-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Sweet looking setup!
Are you planning on running full zeo or just like reefers best salt?

I won't be running any additives. I'll have a calcium reactor once I have enough sps to require it.

reefme
03-09-2013, 11:31 AM
If you have extra sands left over I can buy it of you.

Jeff000
03-09-2013, 11:29 PM
So working on my plumbing here before I start to fill it.
And I can't figure out how to plumb the media reactors in, more where to put them without the lines being really long.
The reeflo hammerhead return pump to the tank will go up just to the right of the overflow. I'm planning to T off to a bulkhead of sorts to feed everything else. but no idea how to do this.
I'm also not sure where to put my remote deep sand bed now either. It was going to go under the tank just left of the center though.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8227/8543658976_81337432f5_c.jpg

Jeff000
03-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Looks like the hanging frag tank is going to be coming down. I can't get my skimmer into the sump with it there. Sigh, anyone looking for a frag tank?

gregzz4
03-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Maybe others have better luck than I, but I had too much trouble adjusting reactor flow rates off of one common pump
Adjusting one would mess with another, or the return flow
This would be an even bigger issue during maintenance

Mine hang in the sump, and I ended up using individual powerheads and a T with valve on each for flow adjustments

Jeff000
03-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Got a little more work done and started to fill it.

I put up some drywall on the ceiling above the tank.
This is the last screw.... and how close it made it before my last of 8 batteries died and I couldn't find a screw driver (left my tool bag at work).
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8230/8553934646_6755b025ac_c.jpg
Of course right. I ended up using a robertson and a hammer to get it to a point I could mud over it.

Look water is finally going in!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8515/8552832327_88a419efa9_c.jpg

After about 24 hours
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8521/8553931076_9b54ed66ba_c.jpg

And a little look at how the show side of it is turning out. And yes I know I need some staples for the electrical.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8527/8553931524_6f2f7abd6e_c.jpg

I have a heater in it right now with a power head, I want to start getting the salt where it needs to be and the temp so I can put a couple rocks in there.

I need to finish the plumbing, but waiting on some vibration isolation to mount the pump on.

lastlight
03-13-2013, 07:40 PM
looking great.

that ductwork above the tank isn't exposed inside the canopy is it?

Jeff000
03-13-2013, 08:06 PM
looking great.

that ductwork above the tank isn't exposed inside the canopy is it?

Thanks,

I have drywall above the tank, and it's just the cold air return shiny cardboard stuff.
I'll take another picture today.

Jeff000
03-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Got lots done now, fish are in the tank, and everything is coming together, just a massive mess right now.

Here are the drains finished.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8382/8578945022_98deb1b629_c.jpg

Overflow kinda finished, the right pipe is my emergency pipe, I have a T on it right now because I cut the pipe a 1/2" too short.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8520/8577840673_a8a9e15e62_c.jpg

Gap between the tank and the wall above it, I think I'll use that pond spray foam to fill the gap?
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8381/8578331167_7dbf197b9f_c.jpg

All the fish in, and my first aquascape, most fish still hiding.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8093/8579497659_289fb4c5df_c.jpg

Vertex Alpha 300, this is a big skimmer, dual pumps, but dead quiet.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8373/8582265797_e9433d724b_c.jpg

Looking into the sump... not sure I like just having a bunch of live rock in there, but not sure what else I would do.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8582266699_be91aa03de_z.jpg

Vibration isolation mounts for my pump, started with a hammerhead, but that pumped just too much water for my overflow weir to handle, this barracuda flows a much more appropriate rate.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8086/8583367610_bc04a8792d_c.jpg

And the current aquascape, not sure I am really happy with it still.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8374/8583099425_3cea90aaf7_c.jpg

And a couple fish shots here.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8245/8584199316_24da5aa3f4_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8384/8584200028_5f72ed0136_c.jpg

reef-keeper
03-24-2013, 12:45 AM
This build is just fabulous. It's close to the same as what I'm planing with my 135.

Delphinus
03-24-2013, 12:49 AM
Looks great so far!

I like those mounting rails you're using for the pipes, and the clips - where do you find those?

Jeff000
03-24-2013, 02:29 AM
This build is just fabulous. It's close to the same as what I'm planing with my 135.

Thanks

Looks great so far!

I like those mounting rails you're using for the pipes, and the clips - where do you find those?

Thanks.

Those are called unistrut or just strut. I used aluminium strut for those, it's about 20 bucks for 10'. And the clamps are called P-clamps or cobra clamps. You buy them for the size of pipe you want.
You can get it any electrical wholesaler, probably plumbers too. But I am a sparky so I go with what I know.
My water mix station is made from normal strut that I painted. And the frag tank is hanging with ready rod from strut, and there is strut under the frag tank.
You can get hundreds of different connecting parts for strut too.
http://www.unistrut.us/

Jeff000
03-28-2013, 01:46 AM
Added a couple chairs.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8530/8595744473_96c26edd03_c.jpg
Finally at a point I can kick my feet up and enjoy it. Need a few more fish, a lot of corals, and still lots of little things to do, but at least I can kick my feet up now and then.

Kryptic4L
03-28-2013, 04:28 AM
Beer fridge most defiantly need. A beer fridge. Looks good. Where did you get your fresh water bins from ?

Jeff000
03-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Beer fridge most defiantly need. A beer fridge. Looks good. Where did you get your fresh water bins from ?

The wet bar construction is what I am starting next :)

They are from polyramaplastics.com here in Edmonton. They don't sell to the public anymore though. I have a spare large one if you ever come up this way. I think it was 65 bucks from them with the lid. Would sell it for 40. And if you wanted more Josh at Marine Aquaria can get them in for ya.

Myka
04-01-2013, 03:00 AM
I like the general idea of your aquascape. I think you need some variety in the rock shapes though, I think that's why you're having trouble. The pile on the left seems to consist of very similarly sized round rocks.

The fish look happy!

Jeff000
02-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Forgot I had this build thread here, so here is a little update.

Here is a video of my new Magnifica
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8b7h9uobk7n49f/VID_20140217_121444.mp4

Anothre picture, with the three clowns that are just loving it.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3679/12599777224_7b31fa18ff_c.jpg

And my new frag tank rack
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5518/12599770444_ce929a7f62_c.jpg

Wish my couple Blue throats would come out and eat. And stick around for a picture. lol

Currently have the following.
Flame Angel
Multifasciatus Angel
Chrysurus Angel
Chevron Tang
Purple Tang
Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Diamond Back Gobby
Cryptic wrasse
6 Lyretails
3 snowflake clowns
Blue throat trigger pair
Queen angel (I know, bad, bad)
Shark fin Noako's fairy wrasse
McCoskers Wrasse
Lubbocki Wrasse

Jeff000
02-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Thinking about switching out my hammerhead return pump for a pair of fluval sea sp6 pumps. Partly because I have so little head pressure that I need to throttle the flow back with a valve. But mostly because I'm out of town for work so often that I want the built in backup of having two pumps.

Madreefer
02-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Where'd you get that frag rack and what's the dimensions?

Wheelman76
02-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Thinking about switching out my hammerhead return pump for a pair of fluval sea sp6 pumps. Partly because I have so little head pressure that I need to throttle the flow back with a valve. But mostly because I'm out of town for work so often that I want the built in backup of having two pumps.

I just bought a fluval sea sp4 for my new build , I haven't tried it out yet but it looks like its built well.

J_T
02-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Where'd you get that frag rack and what's the dimensions?

Krakensreef.com

I recognize the piece :)

I can look up the measurements if you need.

Jeff000
02-20-2014, 01:16 AM
I just bought a fluval sea sp4 for my new build , I haven't tried it out yet but it looks like its built well.

I've heard the fluvals are super quiet too, not that the hammerhead is very loud for how large it is.

Krakensreef.com

I recognize the piece :)

I can look up the measurements if you need.

Yes, was a great price too. Wish I had a few more holes in it, but that's my fault. Lol. It gives great room for grow out, which is what I wanted.

Jeff000
04-22-2014, 05:34 AM
Changed out my DIY LED lights for new DIY LED, and decided to make the drivers wiring a little less ghetto. It's still got a ways to go as far as cleaning up. But a good start.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2919/13962049862_9ff2809df0_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/13962047111_50c1d0ef99_b.jpg

I have a couple din rail mounted timers coming in, and might replace the wall wart 10v supply with a din rail mounted piece.
And yes the covers are on now, was just adjusting the current.

Thinking I might add a few more LED's to my array, although it's bright now even though I only added 12 led's over my last one.

kien
04-22-2014, 06:06 AM
wow, that looks BOSS!

Jeff000
04-22-2014, 07:19 PM
wow, that looks BOSS!

Thanks, makes me want my drywall finished more. Lol.

Jeff000
05-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Painted the floor and put a utility sink in the fish room here.
I would highly recommend doing both of those before the tank is even in.

Painting the floor was pretty simple, but the area where my overflow was splashing the tiniest amount seems to have left a salt spot that I just can't get out of the concrete and will need a second coat for sure.
The paint makes a HUGE difference. I would highly suggest painting the floor being the first thing you do to a fish room if you aren't going to tile it.
Did make my skimmer pull about 3" of water over night, which seems odd, but everything looks great.

edit, just realized this photo is real blurry, lol. I have a few touch ups to make, but one coat seems to be ok.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7411/14138332904_5a8c0d15bd_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7375/14114916916_5cf3ce2642_b.jpg

Seriak
05-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Painted the floor and put a utility sink in the fish room here.
I would highly recommend doing both of those before the tank is even in.

Painting the floor was pretty simple, but the area where my overflow was splashing the tiniest amount seems to have left a salt spot that I just can't get out of the concrete and will need a second coat for sure.
The paint makes a HUGE difference. I would highly suggest painting the floor being the first thing you do to a fish room if you aren't going to tile it.
Did make my skimmer pull about 3" of water over night, which seems odd, but everything looks great.

edit, just realized this photo is real blurry, lol. I have a few touch ups to make, but one coat seems to be ok.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7411/14138332904_5a8c0d15bd_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7375/14114916916_5cf3ce2642_b.jpg

Oh! Don't show that picture of the sink install to a city inspector. The plumbing for the drain is a no no. :)

Jeff000
05-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Oh! Don't show that picture of the sink install to a city inspector. The plumbing for the drain is a no no. :)

It's temporary, right lol.
It should have a trap, and probably it's own tie in. But the inspector saw it and passed me. I said it was a temporary installation.

But is a trap all its missing? Easy to add, just didn't think it was needed since there is a trap in the floor drain.

Seriak
05-08-2014, 05:42 PM
I just know that Tony tried something similar here in Calgary and he ended up failing his inspection.

Delphinus
05-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Wow, I got my whole plumbing permit failed because I had a sink draining into a floor drain like that (maybe I just had a big meanie of a plumbing inspector, or maybe Edmonton inspectors suck less than Calgary inspectors). I had to jackhammer the floor to tie into the main drain line AND tie the drain into the nearest vent to the ceiling. (And have a trap, but the main concern was that it didn't have it's own tie-in and venting) - apparently code only allows for "clear water" (aka furnace and A/C condensation) secondary drainage like that (I think that was the term he used for that anyhow) and anything else has to have a trap, tie-in and vent. (Pure awesome sauce.)

waynemah
05-08-2014, 05:51 PM
This setup is fantastic. :biggrin:

Jeff000
05-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Wow, I got my whole plumbing permit failed because I had a sink draining into a floor drain like that (maybe I just had a big meanie of a plumbing inspector, or maybe Edmonton inspectors suck less than Calgary inspectors). I had to jackhammer the floor to tie into the main drain line AND tie the drain into the nearest vent to the ceiling. (And have a trap, but the main concern was that it didn't have it's own tie-in and venting) - apparently code only allows for "clear water" (aka furnace and A/C condensation) secondary drainage like that (I think that was the term he used for that anyhow) and anything else has to have a trap, tie-in and vent. (Pure awesome sauce.)

If he would have said anything I would have closed off the water valves, disconnected it and said I'm just storing it it here.
I think he knew that so let it slide.

This setup is fantastic. :biggrin:

Thanks,
Still a work in progress, but getting closer. I need someone to come in and do a good cleaning. Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk