PDA

View Full Version : Salifert test kits: good accuracy but terrible quality

mrhasan
03-04-2013, 05:02 AM
So I spent $100 on getting Ca, Alk and Mg test kits from saliferts since I had to start dosing and need accurate values.

Well the accuracy is really good. I am very pleased with that. But I would say after spending $100 on three tests kits, I was expecting great quality.

Well, I have never written any review with such utter disgust but I have to write:

I have NEVER EVER seen such garbage quality stuff during my reefing. Even stuffs from generic non-brand chinese stuffs rank higher in my book than Salifert's equipments! The writings on the titration syringe went off after using few tests. Like seriously?!?!?! The markings on the syringe to pull out saltwater also going away. The droppers are worse than ever, particularly the bulky Ca solution. And about the number of tests written on it? Well I don't want to comment on it yet but I am 111100000% sure those numbers are lies.

Seriously, I have never ever ever been ****ed on any product! Even the test tubes and the droppers of APIs are much much better than these!

In the end, when I spend $100 for three test kits, I have the right to expect it to be top quality.

Salifert's quality is a piece of JUNK! Period!

Accuracy: 9/10 (the chart gives only the even number pointers; have to do average to get the values corresponding the odd number marks)
Quality: -100/10

Aquattro
03-04-2013, 06:04 AM
By your tone, I'd guess you're unhappy with them? :)

mrhasan
03-04-2013, 06:08 AM
By your tone, I'd guess you're unhappy with them? :)

Haha....you guess? :razz:

Well honestly they do what they are suppose to do very well but for $30 each test kit with like 50 tests, I wouldn't want syringes whose markings go away in like 10 tests and has water-unfriendly instruction paper; its just doesn't worth it! Red sea are pretty darn accurate as far I have heard and they give cool QUALITY stuffs for $50 including all big three!

I am pretty upset about the quality. Wasn't this much upset when I even bought Rio nano skimmer!

Aquattro
03-04-2013, 06:14 AM
I guess they've gone downhill then, my kits never had that problem. I use Elos now though, and I'm happy with those.

mrhasan
03-04-2013, 06:23 AM
I guess they've gone downhill then, my kits never had that problem. I use Elos now though, and I'm happy with those.

I will switch to red sea once I am finish using the ones I have already bought. The refills are a huge plus.

StirCrazy
03-04-2013, 01:50 PM
must have gone downhill, they used to be one of the best kits to get. Personally accuracy is more important that quality. your not keeping it for ever, if you were like me you would keep it a couple months, nothing wore out or didn't work.....

to me I guess looking for quality in a disposable item is an oxymoron.

Steve

lastlight
03-04-2013, 02:40 PM
there should be enough quality there for the markings to last as long as the disposable product is supposed to that's his point.

i've always been happy with elos.

Goatman
03-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Salifert has always been hit or miss, they had substantial problems a few years ago. I use Elos or deltec....never had a problem. I never rely on one brand though.

mrhasan
03-04-2013, 03:22 PM
must have gone downhill, they used to be one of the best kits to get. Personally accuracy is more important that quality. your not keeping it for ever, if you were like me you would keep it a couple months, nothing wore out or didn't work.....

to me I guess looking for quality in a disposable item is an oxymoron.

Steve

Yah I am guessing new kits are garbage now. Accuracy are definitely important than quality that's for sure; its a test kit after all. But it should hold itself long enough for the test kit to finish at least! I am not asking it to be like indestructible or anything; just enough to finish the kit. If the quality of the markings are so bad and disappears after a couple of tests, I would say that's total garbage.

marie
03-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Quality must of definitely gone downhill.
When I open a new test kit, I reuse the old syringes from 8 yrs ago and save the new syringes for stabbing aiptasia and squirting algae. All the marks are still readable after years of use.

I have never been able to like elos test kits and wouldn't recommend them to anybody

Madreefer
03-04-2013, 04:20 PM
I too have never had a problem. But unfortunately thats the cost of the hobby. $100 is nothing when it comes to the cost of reefing. One day you'll get to the point where you only test your parameters by judging the looks of your corals.

mrhasan
03-04-2013, 04:29 PM
I too have never had a problem. But unfortunately thats the cost of the hobby. $100 is nothing when it comes to the cost of reefing. One day you'll get to the point where you only test your parameters by judging the looks of your corals.

Yap $100 is nothing for reefing. But its $100 for three test kits that's too much for me :( I can spend that money for the hobby ofcourse but when I spend $100 for something, I look for the quality too. I could have spend $60 to get all the test kits from red sea which are also accurate and very very well built to stand the chemicals it works with. I am very very disappointed :(

phi delt reefer
03-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Yap $100 is nothing for reefing. But its $100 for three test kits that's too much for me :( I can spend that money for the hobby ofcourse but when I spend $100 for something, I look for the quality too. I could have spend $60 to get all the test kits from red sea which are also accurate and very very well built to stand the chemicals it works with. I am very very disappointed :(

i've had the same issue with the syringes but i'll stick to salifert (elos is too expensive. I was able to find replacement syringes locally through a local reefer.

On ebay you can order these;

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10-MVI-Oral-Syringes-Medicine-Droppers-1ml-1cc-Luer-Slip-Tip-/281016644593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416de5b3f1&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1414

the pink tips should fit these syringes (referred to as a Leur slip tip).

Alternatively you can check your local pharmacist/vet to see if they have any ORAL syringes they can give you. They give them to parents who have to give babies/young children medication.

I put some clear tape over the numbers on my syringe (as per suggestions from other reefers) and it seems to hold up well to washing and cleaning.

these syringes were designed for one time use - not 50-100 use. I think salifert should provide an extra syringe with their kits or at least clear coat them so they last the life of the kit. It is what it is and the replacements only cost a couple bucks. Once you tape the numbers they should be good for a long time.

hope that helps.

mrhasan
03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Thank you so much for the link. I have been searching for this syringe but couldn't find the higher division scale like the one in the link.

And yah I also thought about putting on tapes over the markings too. Good to know that its a regular practice haha :razz:

i've had the same issue with the syringes but i'll stick to salifert (elos is too expensive. I was able to find replacement syringes locally through a local reefer.

On ebay you can order these;

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10-MVI-Oral-Syringes-Medicine-Droppers-1ml-1cc-Luer-Slip-Tip-/281016644593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416de5b3f1&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1414

the pink tips should fit these syringes (referred to as a Leur slip tip).

Alternatively you can check your local pharmacist/vet to see if they have any ORAL syringes they can give you. They give them to parents who have to give babies/young children medication.

I put some clear tape over the numbers on my syringe (as per suggestions from other reefers) and it seems to hold up well to washing and cleaning.

these syringes were designed for one time use - not 50-100 use. I think salifert should provide an extra syringe with their kits or at least clear coat them so they last the life of the kit. It is what it is and the replacements only cost a couple bucks. Once you tape the numbers they should be good for a long time.

hope that helps.