PDA

View Full Version : RODI in Vancouver?

straightrazorguy
03-04-2013, 03:42 AM
From my research Vancouver water is pretty good. Chlorine is a gas that escapes in a few hours, and nitrates, phosphates and TSS are very low.

This may have been discussed in previous w many Metro Vancouver reefers use RODI water?

Maybe I should start a poll.

monocus
03-04-2013, 06:39 AM
alot of infrastructure is needing replacing throughout vancouver.landslides into watersheds or heavy rains can make the water murky,and all buildings have copper pipes and brass fittings somewhere in the line,even if you have pex.also i believe there is more than just chlorine added to the water.myself i don't mind drinking tap water,but just think of everyone that is drinking filtered or bottled water(even though we supposedly have the best water in the world).as for my tanks,i use a 7 stage rodi system,better safe than sorry

fireguy98
03-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Port moody water last time I tested tds out of tap was 10ppm. Put this in perspective Calgary is around 200ppm+
We do have great water but you still should run it through a rodi. I use a Vertex 100 gallons a day unit. Love it highly recommend it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Rogue951
03-04-2013, 11:08 AM
I've never needed the DI. RO has always been enough.

RuGlu6
03-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Port Moody water last night was 12 ppm, what we don’t know is what these dissolved solids are. Chlorine obviously but also whatever materials our piping system has some of it will be dissolved in water.

My 6 stage RODI lasted me almost 6 years here in Port Moody, and i had to replace all pre-filter sediments and carbon filters as well as DI resin this week.

100 GPD Membrane is still good thanks primarily (I think) to the membrane wash valve installed in my RODY system, that allows me to flash the membrane regularly and keep it clean.

When my RODI was off line for more than 3 month i was using regular activated Carbon 3xstage kitchen filter which still gives same PPM as unfiltered tap water less chlorine. With no visible effects on my SPS reef.

But again it doesn’t mean RODI is bad idea when you have it its nice piece of mind.
Plus you can use 0 PPM water for other things like mixing a coolant for your car, or topping up your car battery electrolyte level.

Normally I try NOT to use my RODI system when I know turbulence is high or there is local water system is being repaired, but you never know what is going on, so you will always get some of the dirty water in you RODI system, so replacing sediment cartridge (Only $9 at J&L) regularly will prolong the life of the rest of the filtering system.

straightrazorguy
03-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks for your replies guys. I'm not worried about chlorine, because I just leave the water to stand for 24 hr in a bucket and the Cl gas escapes. The TDS situation is pretty good with all that mountain water. It periodically gets worse (after the monsoon period, like last week). I was just wondering if I'm missing something...

canadianbudz604
03-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Around a month ago the tap water here in surrey was testing 7ppm. Pretty clean considering the water I was buying from save on was testing 5ppm. Met a few people around here that don't use ro\di water at all, and seem to have no algae problems at all.

Timbits
03-05-2013, 12:27 AM
I've never needed the DI. RO has always been enough.

Really? And u get 0 TDS? I get around 2 before the di

Jakegr
03-05-2013, 12:37 AM
I get O TDS in North Van using only RO with sediment/carbon filters. No DI needed.

spit.fire
03-05-2013, 12:59 AM
What are your phosphates reading w/o DI?

Jakegr
03-05-2013, 01:20 AM
I have never bothered testing for it.