PDA

View Full Version : Purple hornets

canadianbudz604
03-02-2013, 07:36 PM
I've got a nice colony of purple hornets. Some have alternating skirt colors and some don't. What are these things worth? I know in the states they are worth a pretty penny. They grow fairly fast too.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/canadianbudz604/image_zps7a90bbb5.jpg

reefwars
03-02-2013, 08:40 PM
for these ones ......about $20 for 10-20 polyps;)

reefermadness
03-02-2013, 08:46 PM
The orginal purple hornets have alternating skirts....hard to tell if yours has that.

http://www.rarezoanthids.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/purple-hornet11.png

canadianbudz604
03-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Some do and some don't have alternating skirts. I think it says that above. 20$ for 10-20 polyps so they are no better than brown ones with a Orange centre. Anyone wanna trade me for some regular brown palys with the green centre?

reefwars
03-02-2013, 09:07 PM
The orginal purple hornets have alternating skirts....hard to tell if yours has that.

http://www.rarezoanthids.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/purple-hornet11.png

also short skirts not long ones. they are a small zoanthid

reefwars
03-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Some do and some don't have alternating skirts. I think it says that above. 20$ for 10-20 polyps so they are no better than brown ones with a Orange centre. Anyone wanna trade me for some regular brown palys with the green centre?

no sense getting mad bud , you never posted a price and i told you what they were worth since you had asked.

dont shoot the messenger:mrgreen:

canadianbudz604
03-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Well ain't that a bitch I guess I got myself some more common zoas again.

Scythanith
03-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Frag out the ones with the alternating skirt colour and try to grow them on their own. Some people won't care if the skirts are longer as long as you charge a fair price for them.

milano07
03-02-2013, 09:36 PM

Who cares if they are common and no name if you like them.......

canadianbudz604
03-02-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm not getting mad, here in Vancouver I haven't found a person yet that will sell me 20 heads of zoas for 20$ unless they are brown and orange or green and brown. Maybe get 7-8 polyps. That makes me mad.

canadianbudz604
03-02-2013, 09:51 PM
I need to go to concept aquatics :lol:

reefwars
03-02-2013, 09:56 PM

not really , may not be " true" but are still very nice all the same. small frags will sell for slightly more money.

i use these types of corals to trade for others , whether its a true hornet or not is only in the eyes of the beholder.

i currently have true blues,reds and purples.....i also have many fakes of the above...to me they are all just as nice:mrgreen:

good luck with your sale they are a very nice zoanthid for sure and i would not say " common "

cheers

denny

reefwars
03-02-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm not getting mad, here in Vancouver I haven't found a person yet that will sell me 20 heads of zoas for 20$ unless they are brown and orange or green and brown. Maybe get 7-8 polyps. That makes me mad.

i know what you mean there , funny how i have about 60 zoo frags home that i cant sell for $10, some are collector......sad how the market fluctuates from city to city.....in ontario i could probably sell these for $20-30 a frag(assuming anyways lol )....here i give them away for free lol

somewherebeyondthesea
03-02-2013, 11:35 PM
What!

I paid $35 per polyp for those!:yell:

daniella3d
03-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Those are not purple hornet, just some plain african blue, very common and not expensive.

Purple hornets are very small, grow about one polyp per month on average and have very very obvious alternating tentacles. YOu can easily see it with bare eyes.

I've got a nice colony of purple hornets. Some have alternating skirt colors and some don't. What are these things worth? I know in the states they are worth a pretty penny. They grow fairly fast too.

paddyob
03-03-2013, 03:18 AM

Just curious, but why are you asking for advice if you seem to know the answer already?

Seeing you have experience buying them, as you just stated, maybe just post your price. Interested parties will contact you. The others won't.

It almost seems like you are getting mad by msking poor comparisons. Maybe trying to irk some people or something.

Canreef does state prices required in sell forums.

Probably worth more than $20 to some. Less to others.

paddyob
03-03-2013, 03:20 AM
Those are not purple hornet, just some plain african blue, very common and not expensive.

Purple hornets are very small, grow about one polyp per month on average and have very very obvious alternating tentacles. YOu can easily see it with bare eyes.

Plsin African blues? Like the ones that have mass die off rate making them all said and done... Scare?

milano07
03-03-2013, 04:03 AM

Did you actually buy them as purple hornets or do you think that they are purple hornets. At the end of the day it does not matter what they a as long as you like them.....unless your intention is to make money by selling them as purple hornets. I personally don't think that what you have are real purple hornets.....but that's just my opinion.

maron6977
03-03-2013, 04:54 AM
Pm'd you

canadianbudz604
03-03-2013, 05:05 AM
Wasn't trying to make money off them, was asking what they go for. I'd by ppl on 2 different sites. Danielle3d maybe they are African blues. They don't look anything like them but hey you see what you see. I do like them, and whatever irk means I wasn't trying to **** ppl off. And if I knew what they where I wouldn't have asked. Did you see them in the buy And sell forums?

reefermadness
03-04-2013, 12:08 AM
ya...there are a lot of these types of morphs out of Africa. I LFS here got a bunch too. They arent crappy but maybe not worth what a true purple hornet is worth.

And worth is a funny statement cause maybe one isnt even nicer than the other but Im betting you didnt pay huge money for that rock were as most people have paid a big buck to get a true purple hornet so I dont blame them for wanting more when they go to frag.

Basically I base what I sell my frags for on what I had to pay to get my original frag. If I found a wild rock of rare collector zoa and payed peanuts for it I personally wouldn't have the gull to mark it up high.

canadianbudz604
03-04-2013, 12:28 AM
I know what u guys are saying. I did pay a bit for the rock. I didn't want to mark up the price to make huge money, I wasn't even Selling them. I thought I had purple hornets, and I was wondering what they sell for here in Canada. It's all good. I'm still looking for someone to sell me 15-20 polyps of non brown zoas for 20$ though :lol:

canadianbudz604
03-04-2013, 12:47 AM
What!

I paid $35 per polyp for those!:yell:

According to what I've been hearing I think u might have got ripped off:lol:

albert_dao
03-04-2013, 02:32 AM
I know what u guys are saying. I did pay a bit for the rock. I didn't want to mark up the price to make huge money, I wasn't even Selling them. I thought I had purple hornets, and I was wondering what they sell for here in Canada. It's all good. I'm still looking for someone to sell me 15-20 polyps of non brown zoas for 20$ though :lol:

>___>

I did this a while back:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92065

Just sayin....

canadianbudz604
03-04-2013, 02:54 AM
When are you doing it again? :lol:

albert_dao
03-04-2013, 04:54 AM
I dunno, I still have a lot of those things kicking around. My tank's a bit of a disaster lately due to work, so I haven't advertised.