PDA

View Full Version : Zoanthid care

Cubeman
03-02-2013, 07:34 PM
In the past I have added zoas to my sps/lps tanks and they have usually withered away to nothing, although I will admit I didn't give them any specific care. The sps grew fantastically though in the same tanks. I have now started a nano tank and would like to add some zoas.

Can anyone provide me with their proven zoa care routine so I get off on the right foot and have more success. I am not a newbie and had my first saltwater tank in the late 70's so don't need 'aquarium basics' advice - looking more for placement, feeding, current, lighting etc...and anything I should avoid adding that would eat/damage them.

thanks in advance

Madmak
03-02-2013, 10:20 PM
I have almost the exact opposite luck. My SPS corals die and zoas flourish all over their dead skeletons within a few days!

I would think that if you have good success with SPS that you may have too much light or flow for zoas or maybe not enough food or nutrients.

Mine seem to prefer being on the sand without direct flow and with plenty if food to grab daily.

Denny or Levi should chime in and school us all on the zoa tricks.

denny_CC
03-02-2013, 10:24 PM
In the past I have added zoas to my sps/lps tanks and they have usually withered away to nothing, although I will admit I didn't give them any specific care. The sps grew fantastically though in the same tanks. I have now started a nano tank and would like to add some zoas.

Can anyone provide me with their proven zoa care routine so I get off on the right foot and have more success. I am not a newbie and had my first saltwater tank in the late 70's so don't need 'aquarium basics' advice - looking more for placement, feeding, current, lighting etc...and anything I should avoid adding that would eat/damage them.

thanks in advance

not a whole lot of advice to offer but what you may already know , low phos and steady parameters.

light acclimation is very important.

reefsafe fish...ie: no angels or tangs lol

dip all new pieces or qt

keep guard dogs( wrasses,mandarins etc.)

blue spectrum does better(imo)

other than that its a wide variety of species , some do well and some dont.

unlike diamonds............zoas are not forever;)

denny_CC
03-02-2013, 10:25 PM

thanks in advance

the thing about sps tanks is powerfull light, low nutrients and strong flow.....for zoos youll need to dull it down a bit:)

your nano should do just fine.

zoos are better if its a species only tank

Zoaelite
03-02-2013, 11:08 PM
^^^^ Don't think I could of put it better myself. Only thing I would add is that these animals will do much better when fed a small particle food 1-2 times per week.

(Reef roids, Fauna Marine, Acan +, Frozen Cyclopeez for some of the larger morphs...)

Have a read through, I detail some zoa tips in the write up here (http://www.canreef.com/ftotm/apr12/index.php).

mrhasan
03-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Zoas are possibly the funniest coral in this hobby. Like the gurus already said, there's just too many variables when it comes to zoas; different zoa different stuffs, particularly the nicer ones.

Previously my tank was having good success with zoas and bad with SPS and the thing just turned around in the last two months. I think trouble shooting all other corals are possible to some extend but with zoas....oh well Denny and Levy would be the better people to comment on that :P

daniella3d
03-03-2013, 02:27 AM
That's the ting exactly. They are very sensitive to any chimical emitted by other corals and also anemones.

zoos are better if its a species only tank

Cubeman
03-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Some great stuff there guys and gals - thanks very much for taking the time. :biggrin: