PDA

View Full Version : Ideas-tricks to get designer clowns to host anemone

ruslicus
03-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Hi

I've got a pair of designer clowns and have GTBA and Elegance coral. Clowns have been in tank for about couple of weeks. Is there any trick or ideas how to get the clowns to host anemone? I've read about pictures, strainer and other ideas, but I thought to see if there is any other tricks.

Say if I get a wild clown, or a clown paired with anemone, do you think my designers will follow it?

Thx

Madreefer
03-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Your going to see all kinds of tricks posted. Don't waste your time stressing or trying. Brutal honest truth. Best trick is patience. It'll happen. Just give it time.

Ross
03-01-2013, 10:01 PM
I recommend getting a bunch of those crazy arm inflatable men, setting them up near the front of your tank, and then dressing up like a clownfish and show them how its done.

Most important part is to youtube it for the rest of us as a training video.

Either that or just wait.

input80
03-02-2013, 07:41 AM
I had the same issue, then bought a black clown with an anenome. The new clown went str8 to an rbta I had in the tank, then the 2 went to it also. Unfortunately, they appeared to push the black one out & it eventually died ?
Not too sure why/how though, I never really saw any aggression nor injuries. It was as if it was depressed. Now the 2 original clowns host the nem (that I bought with the black clown) all the time.

Evilweevil
03-02-2013, 04:25 PM
I am with Ross on this one

Trevor W
03-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Now perhaps I am wrong,..but I personally dont see how a "designer" clown would be any different than a "regular" clown when it comes to hosting an anenome. If your meaning how to get a captive bred clown to host a nem well its all just patience. My "designer" clown hosts my frogspawn. Or you could always just throw in a larger aggresive fish and my guess is they would host the nem pretty darn fast at the risk of your fish dieing so I in no way support this idea (its just more of a joke, sorry) lol. But that would be why a wild caught clown would host a nem faster, they come from the wild with a ton of dangers and predators so they have to rely on the nem for safety captive bred fish dont have those dangers so it just may take a little longer but my guess is that eventually there instincts and desire to host a nem will kick in. They have only been in your tank a couple of weeks so I would just give them some time. Or you could take Ross' advice.

paddyob
03-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Designer clowns have never seen an anemone before. They get bred like a dog if you know what I mean. They lose natural instinct over time.

Mine have been alone with an RBTA for a few weeks but no go. It might take time. As mentioned.

spit.fire
03-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Put Gucci or true religion tags on the anemone

One thing I've found that helps is spot feed the clowns near the anemone although some just wont host

Also some clowns are raised in flower pots (like clay ones, not the corals) maybe put a flowerpot near the anemone

ruslicus
03-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Yahooooo, It really worked..... My clown was in bubble coral today. I saw him for 20 sec. I hope he liked it and will be hosting it soon. Will take a picture if see him next time.

Thank you guys for tips and advise, it really worked - PATIENCE :)

ruslicus
03-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Sorry for bad quality it is with my WiFi IP camera.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8509/8529768418_2bd774b663_b.jpg

paddyob
03-04-2013, 09:57 PM
What worked?

ruslicus
03-04-2013, 10:06 PM
What worked?

Well, as I said patience. I was just thinking to do something to stimulate them to host anemone, but never did. And today the large clown started to host, this is why I said it works - patience :)

Thx

daniella3d
03-05-2013, 01:29 AM
Patience and the right type of anemone. My black ice love sebae anemones. Took them a few hours to adopt this anemone when it was tiny and bleached...

Problem is to find a healthy seabe, not easy!

when I got the bleached thing..3" in size

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/103_1708s.jpg

and the other problem is, seabe get huge!

now it's 12"!

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/_K4H4807s.jpg

Evilweevil
03-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Wow what a nice tank you have daniella3d

ruslicus
03-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Very nice tank! Thx