PDA

View Full Version : LF: captive bred seahorses (North Van)

Jakegr
02-28-2013, 05:04 AM
I'm seeing a lot of net pen raised seahorses in local stores, but no captive bred. Send me a PM if you know a breeder, are a breeder, or have some captive bred sea horses for sale :)

Species doesn't matter much as long as they are tropical (H. erectus, breviceps, barbouri, comes, kellogi, kuda, reidi, etc).

Not interested in dwarfs.

spit.fire
02-28-2013, 05:09 AM
King eds usually has some, pretty sure they're captive bred

rayjay
02-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately, most seahorses sold in North America are "tank raised", but often called captive bred.
They are raised in large cement vats with water piped from the ocean, without proper filtering and treatment to take care of pathogens coming with the water.
True captive bred would be those raised using commercial salt water, like another hobbyist would use, or, by ocean water that is properly treated and filtered for pathogens.
Aquamarine International in Sri Lanka is one of the few breeders producing true captive bred, but in the last year or so, their quality and shipping size has deteriorated.
Seahorsecorral.com in Florida ships H. erectus to Canada but at the moment the only store getting them is Sea U Marine, in Markham Ontario near Toronto.
Sea U does ship across Canada.

Jakegr
02-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks! I'll send them an email.

Jakegr
03-02-2013, 12:40 AM
If anyone in the Vancouver area is interested in a group buy I think I'll be purchasing several from RayJay's suggested source.

rayjay
03-02-2013, 02:00 AM
FWIW, the quality of these erectus is probably the best of any seahorse species I've purchased over the last ten years.

Jakegr
04-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Just wanted to bump this as I will be making an order from Seaumarine next week for some H. erectus seahorses. If anyone is looking for high quality, true tank bred sea horses, this could be a good way to save some money on shipping.

Black H. erectus: $90 each
Yellow H. erectus: $130 each

They also have H. zosterae (Dwarves) but I am unsure of price.

Jakegr
04-08-2013, 07:46 PM
One last try, if anyone is looking for sea horses contact me ASAP as I will be placing an order this week.