PDA

View Full Version : Cutting 20 gallon tank in half.

AdamsB
02-28-2013, 04:00 AM
So I've got my 90 gallon SW set up, an now I'm in the market for a quarantine tank. I'm limited for space though and with my girlfriend moving in I can't just put a tank wherever I want like I have been doing :)

So I have an old 20 gallon kicking round and I'm in a basement suite with a 6 inch shelf along one wall beside my 90 gallon. So my plan is to cut my 20 gallon in half, reducing it from a 12 inch width to 6 inches. Giving me close to 10 gallons and allowing me to position the tank where I need it.

The plan. To seperate the tank and clean all the glass. Ill then cut the 2 sides to the desired width along with the bottom. Silicone them back together and possibly use scrap glass to make a centre brace.

My concerns. I'm just unsure if the bottom is tempered. It's a tetra brand and I tried googling with no success. I found that the 15 gallon isn't tempered. But If I have to buy a piece to suite that's fine. Do I need a centre brace or would the tank hold ok by itself being rimless? I've used type 1 silicone to fix up tanks before but was suggested not to use it to construct a tank. Would it be fine for this size?

Just like my 90 gallon it was my first time drilling glass, thi will be my first time cutting glass and building an aquarium.

Any and all advice accepted :)

monocus
02-28-2013, 05:15 AM
it would be a lot less work to get some glass from a glass shop and diy

ckmullin
02-28-2013, 05:26 AM
Sell the 20 on kijiji and throw that $ into new glass. You know 100% what you have ie tempered/non-tempered.

daplatapus
02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Hmmmm, to bad you can't set something up semi-temporary for the 20gal. 6" tank depth isn't a whole lot and I'd be a bit worried about keeping fish you plan for a 90 gal in there for 8-12 weeks, possibly more if you end up treating it for something. It would kind of be like sticking someone in a closet for 2-3 months, especially if it's a larger fish that would otherwise be ok for your 90 gal.
Any way you can set up your 20 on a rolling cabinet (with good castors) or coffee table? Maybe you'll even get the GF hooked and end up having in permanent :D