PDA

View Full Version : Problem Adding "Dead" Rock to Reef Aquarium

chromakey
02-28-2013, 01:23 AM
Good Day:

I recently added one larger piece of dead rock to my 28 gallon nano reef aquarium and I think I might have made a mistake.

I cooked the rock for about 5 days, adding Seachem Stability to seed the rock. I added it to the aquarium and I had some different things happen. I also added a pouch a Purigen for the first time and treated a few aiptasia with Aiptasia-X the same week.

The macro algae, halimeda turned white and I pulled that all out. The caulerpa also started turning white and I pulled that out. The flower pot coral closed and after I did a water test I noticed a rise in nitrates and that was about it. I have done about 2 - 4 gallon water changes so far.

Do you think the dead rock is leaching out a bunch of phosphates and other stuff? It has been almost two weeks since I added the rock. Should I leave it the tank?

Thanks,
Michael

Proteus
02-28-2013, 01:57 AM
Yeah I'd say its leeching. 5 days is def not long enough. It can take weeks with lots of WC to cook the rock. So I'd bet you have amonia and phosphates. Test params and do WC as nutrients come out. Or remove rock and cook it properly

chromakey
02-28-2013, 02:34 AM
Hi:

I thought that might be the issue. I just pulled the one piece out the tank. When people are cooking their rock do you use MB7 over the Seachem Stability?

Thanks,
Michael

ckmullin
02-28-2013, 02:37 AM
Suggest to remove rock asap, treat tank with purigen or your other favorite candy to help clean the mess up and cook the new rock least a month until the phosphates etc are minimal after testing.

Was your nano already cycled and up and running? If so, it was a mistake to add that other rock. If you system is/was stable and just want more 'rock' treat the rock in question with acid. Do that and in less than a week it'll be ready.

chromakey
02-28-2013, 03:04 AM
Hi:

I was adding the rock in increase my biological filtration. I took it out. I think I will just buy two more pieces from the LFS.

However, what is the "acid" technique?

Michael

ckmullin
02-28-2013, 03:17 AM
Perhaps just add dry dead rock and let the tank seed it. I've started a 6 gal nano and it's been running aprox 3 weeks and almost finished cycling. I'm @ the point if I wanted more rock in the tank i'll be dry rock as I don't want to introduce problems such as what you posted and mess with the cycle.

The acid technique is to kill 100% everything on/in rock with a strong acid. I've used Muriatic acid. If you use an acid read and reread on how to handle and proper method as with any strong acid it can be dangerous. I've tested a few small pieces for the sake of learning and when complete the rock is more porous and white as white, very impressed. You don't need to buy more rock if you think that new piece is 'bad' just kill it and let the tank seed it fresh.

If you wanted specific methods, I'd be happy to answer. There is much on Uncle Google about this technique as I'm sure some on this forum.