PDA

View Full Version : FS:SALIFERT TEST KIT - titration syringe replacements (numbers worn)

phi delt reefer
02-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Does anyone else have an issue with the number's wearing off their titration syringes for any of their salifert kits OR are missing the pink tips? Salifert's horrible customer service has never responded back to my three emails and all the threads online requesting replacements have gone unanswered.

This is what my syringes look like (not my pic btw)

http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploader/2012Q3/IMG_0389_2.jpg

i'm in the process of trying to source replacments but they can not be purchased in small quantities. I need to buy about 50 units at minimum. I'm thinking about re-selling in packs of threes at my cost.

tips cost approx $0.25 and i have already ordered 50
syringes are proving to be harder to source but i have a couple leads. only problem is the most promising units are pricey ($1.50-$2.00 a unit). The issue is the tips have a locking mechanism and i need to ensure the syringes i order are compatible. The product descriptions are somewhat vague so i'm waiting for the tips to come in so i can better select a replacement syringe.

I'm thinking 3 complete units plus shipping will be approx $10-$15. Any interest? I'll be able to figure out a more accurate real cost once the tips come in though.

I'll be testing the replacements to ensure accuracy with the current kits.

Please advise if there is any interest. If stores are interested i'd be more than happy to provide them with a larger order (once again at no profit to me)

Aquattro
02-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Doesn't a new kit come with new syringes? Mine have never worn out for the duration of the kit itself.

PurpleMonkey
02-25-2013, 07:21 PM
If you don't want the locking tips, try search for irrigation syringe

phi delt reefer
02-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Doesn't a new kit come with new syringes? Mine have never worn out for the duration of the kit itself.

mine have worn out on my calcium, alk and magnesium kits. I dunno if got a bad batch but i'm not the only person with the issue. I clean them after each use but i only use a paper towel so i dont believe it would be abrasive enough to remove the printing.

Aquattro
02-25-2013, 07:30 PM
I also wash and dry with paper towel and never had that issue. Maybe it's oils on your hand, or salt water? Do you store them in the box?

phi delt reefer
02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes, all the kits are stored in the original boxes after everything is dried.

all the pieces are washed in ro/di water and my hands are thoroughly washed before i do anything in my tank. I generally dont have oily skin so i dont believe thats the issue but i'm only guessing.

all three of my syringes are worn and i have over half the test kits left (Atleast) for all three.

allie_san
02-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Try a veterinary supply pharmacy. There's one by my house here in edmonton and they have tons of syringes for really cheap.

hillegom
02-25-2013, 10:44 PM
mine have worn out on my calcium, alk and magnesium kits. I dunno if got a bad batch but i'm not the only person with the issue.

I have 3 salifert kits and one has the #s all worn out with half the chemicals left. I know what you are talking about.
I use the syringes from the other kits.

kole
02-26-2013, 12:36 AM
I have used salifert for years and have not experienced this issue. They are are very good test kits I hope this doesn't continue to be a problem.

Baldy
02-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Check eBay. I just ordered 20 5 ml syringes for less than 4$ shipped.

Smudge
02-26-2013, 12:48 AM
Had the same problem with the Red Sea syringes. I painted the graduation markings with clear nail polish. Be careful on the first coat as it may slightly smear the lines. So far working great.

phi delt reefer
02-26-2013, 01:40 AM
Check eBay. I just ordered 20 5 ml syringes for less than 4$ shipped.

5ml syringes don't have enough markings on them. You need .1ml accuracy. Also the pink dispensing tips only fit a certain type of syringes.

I've found a local source to try some higher quality syringes. If they work I'll order a box.

phi delt reefer
02-26-2013, 01:43 AM
Had the same problem with the Red Sea syringes. I painted the graduation markings with clear nail polish. Be careful on the first coat as it may slightly smear the lines. So far working great.

I'm gonna use a similar technique once I get a new set. Either clear polish, clear tape or one of those clear screen protectors that's adhesive backed.