PDA

View Full Version : treating calgary water

darkreef
02-24-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm sure we all fight with Calgary water.
So I figured a thread on how do you treat your water for your reef and FW and plant setups.
What kind of chemicals and processes you use.
Do you soften your water , use a ro/di or rain water.
What things to avoid and what to recommend!

I use aquasafe plus.
Have not been having much success.

sphelps
02-24-2013, 11:30 PM
RO/DI
Considering what they cost it's kind of a no brainier for me, plus the uses go beyond the aquarium.

You can buy cheaper units on eBay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Reef-Aquarium-Reverse-Osmosis-System-Float-Valve-RO-DI-/230468250463?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item35a8fa6b5f&_uhb=1#ht_8233wt_1159

darkreef
02-24-2013, 11:39 PM
I am looking at all possibilities , since I live in a apartment . Plumbing a ro/di unit would be possible if I pulled it out if I ever moved. But I heard using ro/di unit on hard water would just reck the membrane. Making the cost shoot high since I would have to replace the filter frequently. Correct me if I'm wrong

sphelps
02-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Nope, all of Calgary has hard water. No issues relating to RO membrane life. Count on replacing pre-filters and DI at least once per year and RO membrane should last around 5+ years with proper maintenance.

mrhasan
02-25-2013, 12:03 AM
I don't think calgary water is that bad unlike some part of Canada. I never used RODI water in my 8months running tank and never had any problem with algae that many others who use RODI water goes through.

My point is, the filters shouldn't run out faster in Calgary :)

ckmullin
02-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Calgary has perfectly fine water IMO and I don't consider needing to fight it. Someone wants crappy water go to a 3rd world country. Hard yes but quite suited for aquatic life. Like anything find what works with what you have or be prepared to change the water to suit what tank stock you want.

Calgary water is perfect for many FW fishies and ideal for Cichlids. Their home environment water is almost identical to our water. For water changes on my FW tank, I use straight from the tap ie not treated. However I don't keep sensitive fish or sensitive shrimp. I do keep a fully planted 75gal Cherry shrimp tank and it's flourishing both plant and shrimp. I have used basic dechlorinators in the past but it's a waste of $ for what I have. If you or anyone have any FW questions, I'd be happy to answer anything for you. :smile:

The other side of the coin, SW...you must use proper treated water such as RO water since the ocean and tap water are very very different but this is basic knowledge.

I had purchased a 6 stage RO unit for both for drinking and for the SW tank. The product link which was given for MaxWater was where I bought my unit.

For the point on rainwater this typically isn't recommended even though yes it's straight from the sky. The problem is where it lands (ie roof) isn't always nice and clean.

darkreef
02-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Awesome ! I'm deffinally thinking about getting one. Another thing I'm wondering is , how to choose a ro/di system. Some are really expensive some are cheap. But produce the same amount of water and if anyone have any problems with eBay systems there such a good price that it may be to good to be true ? I'm quite a noob on this

ckmullin
02-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Awesome ! I'm deffinally thinking about getting one. Another thing I'm wondering is , how to choose a ro/di system. Some are really expensive some are cheap. But produce the same amount of water and if anyone have any problems with eBay systems there such a good price that it may be to good to be true ? I'm quite a noob on this

What is your tank size? Larger tank = a larger RO unit needed (to a degree)

mrhasan
02-25-2013, 12:50 AM

If I was buying a RODI, I would get a cheap one from ebay and replace the filters with better one. Or get a 2nd hand good rodi and get new filters. The filters are more important than the device itself (as far I think i.e.).

darkreef
02-25-2013, 01:31 AM
Thanks guies ... I have a 55 gallon right now going to upgrade to 125+ .
One more question if I wanted to use ro/di on a FW tank . Would I just run it threw two phases or but that mineral filter in like the was posted above?

ckmullin
02-25-2013, 01:37 AM
Thanks guies ... I have a 55 gallon right now going to upgrade to 125+ .
One more question if I wanted to use ro/di on a FW tank . Would I just run it threw two phases or but that mineral filter in like the was posted above?

RO water on a FW tank (unless very specific stock) is highly overkill. Treat tapwater with Prime etc and your just fine. For example CRS (Crystal Red Shrimp) which are highly inbred require very specific water so stock like that RO will work best.

What FW stuff did you want to throw in the tank?

I'd think for you a 50gal/day RO system would be just fine.

darkreef
02-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Plan on 55 gallon SW
And a depending on what size I get
Atleast a 150+ for a fire eel. Wanted a sting ray too but not sure if there compatible.

ckmullin
02-25-2013, 01:52 AM
Plan on 55 gallon SW
And a depending on what size I get
Atleast a 150+ for a fire eel. Wanted a sting ray too but not sure if there compatible.

Not sure if they would work out together...my reading says that eel by itself.

I cannot comment too much on that stock but to give FW forum a good look see. I'll pm you a nice FW forum.

subman
02-25-2013, 03:36 AM
The thing you need to remember in an apartment depending on size and age the water may be traveling through miles of copper pipe. I have no idea if this matters but I would run ro at minimum. Just my .05 (no 2 cents anymore lol)

hfp75
03-25-2013, 11:57 PM
If I was buying a RODI, I would get a cheap one from ebay and replace the filters with better one. Or get a 2nd hand good rodi and get new filters. The filters are more important than the device itself (as far I think i.e.).

But will any filter fit in any ro/di system????

you cant tell me that a filter will fit in all the ro/di units on the market....

it would take ages to figure out which filters fit right in which systems... I would bet when you buy a system you are stuck with their filters.

globaldesigns
03-25-2013, 11:59 PM
I don't think calgary water is that bad unlike some part of Canada. I never used RODI water in my 8months running tank and never had any problem with algae that many others who use RODI water goes through.

My point is, the filters shouldn't run out faster in Calgary :)

I agree, Calgary water is some of the better water. I have even done big water changes by just using tap water with some prime.

DigitalWeight
03-26-2013, 12:29 AM
I run RO/DI 4- stage I bought from BRS. Work well. We have a drinking one but I decided to go with one dedicated to the tank. I actually use it with a connection right to my tap as opposed to hard wiring it - that may work for your apartment if you don't want a more permanent install. The BRS one I got had an adapter and then I just went to Home Depot to get the right adapter.

11purewater
03-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Since all salt mixes were designed to to use at least RO water(some High forehead made it that way)I wouldn't risk it.When Calgary starts to put aluminum in the water come spring run off you may want to keep that in mind.If you're downstream from any high populace you're dealing with everybody's medications they're peeing out(still want to drink the water?)If you want to Know what's in Calgary water go to the city waterworks website and check it out.