PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Wrasse Jumped...

hfp75
02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Well,

I went upstairs in my house for an hour and came down to find my wrasse on the floor not breathing. I knew that he wasn't out an hr ago so I tossed him back in. He was a darker color and 1/2 curled.... he has settled at the bottom rite side up and started breathing.... heavy breathing but breathing.

I dont know how long he was out. Any experience with how long they can live out of water? or if the breathing means good things? or is it just part of the transition to the fish-nether-world?

Hes been just breathing heavy for 15 minutes and not swimming.

Proteus
02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
I had a coris wrasse do this. Found him dry. But thought ill try. Held him in front of power head to get flow through gills and 20-30 minutes later he was good to go

Chief Hill
02-24-2013, 07:03 PM
I had a coris wrasse do this. Found him dry. But thought ill try. Held him in front of power head to get flow through gills and 20-30 minutes later he was good to go

And after reading stuff like this it makes ya wonder.
To keep a fish alive that you buy at the lfs How long do you really need to acclimate a fish for? Lol.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Proteus
02-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Sometimes I don't. Check salinity if it the same float bag for temp

hfp75
02-24-2013, 07:11 PM
well, just an update, I held him in front of the power head for a while and he was moving around....... I let him go and he swam really weird under a rock. This is where he still is , just sitting there with the heavy breathing.....

time will tell how he does.

Coralgurl
02-24-2013, 07:24 PM
well, just an update, I held him in front of the power head for a while and he was moving around....... I let him go and he swam really weird under a rock. This is where he still is , just sitting there with the heavy breathing.....

Hope he pulls through. I had one do the same thing, I held him in a power head for a bit and then just in my hand for about 15 mins. He swam off on his own and hid. Next day was like nothing happened and he was back to normal. After that he would always swim in my hands when I was in the tank.

naesco
02-24-2013, 07:24 PM

He is major stressed.
Turn off all your lights on the tank and in the room for 24 hours and do not approach the tank to see how he is doing

He will jump again unless you cover your tank

hfp75
02-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Well he is still in hiding and still has the heavy breathing. I did turn the day lights out and will just run the dusk/dawn (blue) lights for the rest of today.

We'll know tomorrow.

I would love to know how long he was out of the water for? 0-60 minutes....

He was dry on the outside when I put him back in.

He jumped once before and strange enough I caught him! Then this. My tank is a 55 with a Tec5 light over it, so it is an open top... don't know what the best option is for covering it up a bit?

hfp75
02-25-2013, 11:49 PM
Well this morning when I got up he was still in hiding.

This evening when I got home (30 min ago) he is out and swimming.

Swimming weird, but out and swimming.

Lets hope he can pull it off and there was no brain damage done while he was carpet surfing.