PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with ribbon eel

Proteus
02-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Wondering on success rate. And if cover is required

Though about one as I only have one fish and need a little more bioload

Madmak
02-22-2013, 08:47 PM
I had a ghost eel for a while. He found his way into the sump a few times but not sure if they would jump. They will eat whatever they can get their mouths around, including small fish and inverts. Really cool to watch but was only out of the cave a few minutes a day.

Reef Puffer
02-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Seems he only tries to escape a vouple times a month. I would have lost mine had I not had the lid. Overflows and plumbing must all b covered as he will try to swim up the in lines. Mine spends a good part of the day with about 6 inches poking out his hole (which is a large pvc maze I installed under the sand). Mine eats well, maybe some dont? Mine doesnt (hasnt) eat anything live in my tank. He really doesnt come out for a swim very often, I think really only to poo every couple days? Im no expert, is just my experience. I have also only had him with me for a few months.

sphelps
02-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Ghost (white) ribbon eels are easy to keep. Personally wouldn't attempt black or blue ones again, success rate on those I believe to be near zero long term. I don't believe a cover is required if you have a decent size euro brace. If not you could construct something to do the same purpose without completely covering the top of the tank if you're appose to that. The overflow will require pretty good netting, typically two layers of gutter guard type mesh is good choice.

spit.fire
02-23-2013, 01:06 AM
I had a ghost eel for a while. He found his way into the sump a few times but not sure if they would jump. They will eat whatever they can get their mouths around, including small fish and inverts. Really cool to watch but was only out of the cave a few minutes a day.
they tend to bring return pumps to a complete stop

Proteus
02-23-2013, 02:11 AM
Thanks guys. I ended up buying a small school of dispar anthias