PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Cleaning

Steve...
02-22-2013, 03:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

Right now, I clean my skimmer cup with tap water and remove all the gunk in the neck. Some people where saying if you clean the cup this way, there will be a break in period before the skimmer can work 100%. Any thoughts here?

ultreef
02-22-2013, 03:54 AM
I think that's the only way to clean. Never heard of any other method. Cleaning whatever way will remove the slime coat.

I find a freshly clean neck works the best. I don't see why you would worry. They make a automatic neck cleaner just so your skimmer will perform at its peak. Am I missing something?

Aquattro
02-22-2013, 04:15 AM
I scrub mine with a bottle brush very well under hot water. In fact, just cleaned it about 10 minutes ago and it's skimming as usual already.

apexifd
02-22-2013, 04:19 AM
I think that's the only way to clean. Never heard of any other method. Cleaning whatever way will remove the slime coat.

I find a freshly clean neck works the best. I don't see why you would worry. They make a automatic neck cleaner just so your skimmer will perform at its peak. Am I missing something?

+1 on the skimmer net cleaner. I invested on a Vertex Vectra and it probably one of the best investment in the system. it helps to keep the skimmer to perform at constant level.

Steve...
02-22-2013, 04:25 AM
How much is a Vertex Vectra? Are they a universal unit? I have a SWC Skimmer right now for my 220.

apexifd
02-22-2013, 04:45 AM
How much is a Vertex Vectra? Are they a universal unit? I have a SWC Skimmer right now for my 220.

yes they are. they have the motor assembly with the wiper blade and few selections of common size pre drill skimmer led.

you drill your existing lid but vertex replacement lid isn't expensive to get.

Azzkr
02-22-2013, 04:58 AM
avast marine also sells a skimmer neck cleaner its only like a $150, and you can get different size cleaning blades for different size skimmer necks