PDA

View Full Version : Baby tank question - T5

Aquattro
02-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Just wondering who's had success with SPS under 4 2ft T5 bulbs. By success I mean you have to trim them more than you'd like, with great color :)

I've got 4 bulbs in 2 fixtures on a 12" deep frag tank and they in no way look bright enough. It is possible the bulbs are 2yrs+, given to me so no idea. I just don't want to replace bulbs if it's not enough and then buy a new LED. Thoughts?

ckmullin
02-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Thought t5's should be changed every 6 months. Might have dim bulbs.

lastlight
02-21-2013, 03:07 PM
I know bulbs have an overlapping effect with their spread but if you placed more bulbs to either side of those 4 do you think the corals directly under your fixture would get that much more light? T5 shine mostly down without too much spread away from the length of the bulb I think.

Worst case I think maybe towards front and back of the tank they might not get enough but I'd think you should be fine right underneath the fixtures?

Aquattro
02-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Thought t5's should be changed every 6 months. Might have dim bulbs.

Yes, they don't last a long time. I just don't want to replace them at a cost of ~$100 if it's still not going to be enough, then have to spend more on another light. Honestly, these bulbs could be 5 years old :)

Aquattro
02-21-2013, 03:09 PM
but I'd think you should be fine right underneath the fixtures?

Not with the current bulbs. Water is 10" deep, light 3 inches of surface. Not nearly enough. Just curious what other people have SPS success with, I don't mind getting new bulbs but not if they still aren't going to work.

As a reference to what my frags are used to is AI sol at 100/100/95, 6" OWL

don.ald
02-21-2013, 03:12 PM
I am a big fan of T5 lighting. In my experience corals do NOT grow fast...less pruning, but good colour!
R.

lastlight
02-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Not with the current bulbs.

Yeah I was talking more about the setup itself. If they're old or crappy bulbs to begin with it won't work out for you. Not all T5 bulbs are created equal of course when it comes to PAR.

I'm assuming you've got decent reflectors too but maybe that's not the case in a 2-bulb fixture.

Aquattro
02-21-2013, 03:31 PM
I am a big fan of T5 lighting. In my experience corals do NOT grow fast...less pruning, but good colour!
R.

That's not a big plus in a frag tank :)

Aquattro
02-21-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm assuming you've got decent reflectors too but maybe that's not the case in a 2-bulb fixture.

They're not ideal, just a couple of HagenGlo fixtures. Nice shiny reflectors, but not sure how they rate to other types.
Unless I get some great feedback from people with similar lighting, I'll liekely go with another SOL. Just need to find someone that can make me a bracket for mounting :)

canadianbudz604
02-21-2013, 05:08 PM
You defiantly need better bulbs. Go with kz nex gen and kz super blues. From what I've read on RC and other sites u will get decent growth and nice color

Proteus
02-21-2013, 05:14 PM
In reality change the bulbs twice over a year and you have paid for a used sol

Aquattro
02-21-2013, 05:31 PM
In reality change the bulbs twice over a year and you have paid for a used sol

Ya, pretty much thinking the same thing :)

freezetyle
02-21-2013, 08:05 PM
if you used one of the GE 6500k bulbs and the ATI blue+ and aqua blue special you could probably get some pretty good growth. WHen its time to sell swap out the GE bulb with another blue+/actinic for colour.

Aquattro
02-21-2013, 08:10 PM
I've ordered a new Sol, problem solved :)