PDA

View Full Version : Hello All - New member

HarleyC
02-21-2013, 03:01 AM
Just wanted to say HI.
I am about to get in to the reef hobby again after a 15 year break - Scary!!!
I'm sure I will have a fair few questions along the way and know things have come a long way, since my day.
I have purchased a mature, complete system from one of Canreef members - Burgerchow.
It is a beautiful system and I take delivery in a couple of weeks.
I am trying to do everything right and am employing a professional mover to assist me - Ren from Ren's Aquascapes in Abbotsford B.C
I am located in Maple Ridge B.C
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Aquattro
02-21-2013, 03:29 AM
Welcome to the board! Take lots of pics of the move and setup, see how close it looks to what it was :)

The Grizz
02-21-2013, 03:45 AM
Welcome and what he said ^^^^ x2 :biggrin:

madchild
02-21-2013, 04:05 AM
Welcome

reeferfulton
02-21-2013, 04:11 AM
welcome back to the hobby :biggrin:

HarleyC
02-21-2013, 04:28 AM
Thanks All.
First question re water. Heard it best to take as much of the tank water as possible. Then read this interesting article - http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-magazines/aquarium-fish-international/february-2012/how-to-move-a-reef-aquarium.aspx

Thoughts?

kien
02-21-2013, 04:30 AM
Welcome to the mad house. Check your sanity at the door and enjoy your stay :-)

Oh and don't forget to start a build / tank journal! :-D

Dearth
02-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Welcome back

Open your wallet and start crying---anonymous fish hobbyist

HarleyC
02-21-2013, 05:09 AM
I have started crying already LOL. But, I'm sure I'll be crying a lot more if the wife finds out the real costs associated with this hobby. I used to be able to get away with spending on my last hobby (motorbikes), as I could say I had to have it as it was a safety issue.
What excuses can I use now? :)

albert_dao
02-21-2013, 05:21 AM
Thanks All.
First question re water. Heard it best to take as much of the tank water as possible.

No, waste of time. Just premix new. Same goes for substrate.

albert_dao
02-21-2013, 05:29 AM
Sorry, I typed that last response with one hand (pizza in the other).

Here's why you don't want to use old water:

1. It is heavy as f***.
2. Salt is pretty good nowadays. As long as you premix it to the proper temp and salinity (use a refractometer), your animals will welcome the change.
3. When you uproot your tank, you will inevitably allow all sorts of nasty wastes and metabolic byproducts into the water column.
4. Bacteria don't just float around in the water column, they are in your rocks.

As far as substrate goes, just get new substrate. Don't use too much. 1-2 cm of a clean coarse gravel will do. I prefer 5-7 mm grain size. It allows you to max out your flow without making sandstorms and is easy to gravel vac.

Coralgurl
02-21-2013, 05:39 AM
I have started crying already LOL. But, I'm sure I'll be crying a lot more if the wife finds out the real costs associated with this hobby. I used to be able to get away with spending on my last hobby (motorbikes), as I could say I had to have it as it was a safety issue.

It was on sale, smokin deal, offer too good to pass up. I always get busted either going to or coming from the lfs. One time I was in a store and in walks the bf because he saw my car in the parking lot. He called before he came in to see what I would say.......ooops

Welcome to the board! Great people here!

daplatapus
02-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Welcome!
Ditto on starting a tank journal with lots of pics :D

Baldy
02-21-2013, 02:18 PM

Tell her that if you dont buy it, it could flood the floor. Don't know how long you could use that one for though

HarleyC
02-21-2013, 02:21 PM
thanks guys

mseepman
02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Welcome to Canreef...I'm sure you will be glad you are back into the hobby!

Northvan
02-24-2013, 03:01 AM
I saw pics of that tank on craigslist, had a brief conversation with Burgerchow about the Kessil lights that came wih it.
REALLY nice setup, you did good. We are about to buy those same lights, & would really love to see them in person before we buy. J&l only has one in stock right now, we are waiting until they restock, or hoping someone (that would be you) loads some pics of them in action.
When your tank is setup, load pictures! or message me, we would love to come see them, could maybe help with setup of your plumbing etc in exchange.
Welcome back to Reefing!
Cathy & Shane
Text to 604-649-9249

asylumdown
02-24-2013, 03:44 AM
Welcome to the board! You're right, things have changed a lot in 15 years, though the basic principles are all the same - light, flow, nutrients, temp - that's the name of the game, only we have better tools to deal with all of them now.

Sounds like you bought a beautiful system, +1 to you starting a tank thread! pics! pics! pics!

HarleyC
02-24-2013, 06:15 AM
Thanks all. I don't collect until a couple of weeks, but will defiantly put pics up when I get - as I am a photographer, I guess I better pay attention to this portion :)
I have been looking, casually, for a couple of years now, just never saw one that was as good as this. This forum has lots of useful info and I will be asking tons of questions for sure. Once it is set up northvan, you can take a look for sure. Cheers