PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Purigen & Macro Algae

chromakey
02-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Good Day:

I added to a package of Purigen to my 28 gallon JBJ reef aquarium two days ago and today the macro aglae (halimeda) I have in my display tank has turned white. Will the Purigen strip my water to the point that it will affect the macro algae?

I am running an Aquamaxx skimmer and also GFO & carbon in my media basket.

Also, I just added a pouch to my Nuvo 8 gallon reef tank. Is this overkill for this size? I have the same macro algae in there as well.

Thanks,
Michael

Picture from two weeks ago.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=784&pictureid=5766

ckmullin
02-20-2013, 09:27 PM
I have a dyi pouch in my 6 gal nano....no 8 gal isn't over kill either.

By itself it wouldn't however dunno about the other equipment will have on TOTAL algae count. Still learning about the whole process with all the equipment.

chromakey
02-20-2013, 11:45 PM
I also treated the tank with Aiptasia-X for a few aiptasia. Do you think that would affect the macro algae?

freezetyle
02-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Halimeda is a calciferous algae, so i would probably check your calcium level. the purigen shouldn't have done anything to it, nor should the aiptasia x. What are your other water parameters?

chromakey
02-21-2013, 03:24 AM
Hi:

I just did all my test with API test kit:

s.g.: 1.025
PH: 8.2
Ca: 420
Nitrite, nitrate, ammonia: 0
kH: 8
PO4: 0

I don't usually dose with any additives. I just do water changes every two weeks. I do have some older additives around so I added a bit for Ca & hardness buffer.

In my other tank the "grape" macro algae turned white and went mushy. I removed it all. I am not sure what causes this.

Thanks,
Michael

ckmullin
02-21-2013, 03:42 AM
Is it NEW Purigen or old? I can see problems arise if bleach was still in the beads after a regeneration.

chromakey
02-21-2013, 03:49 AM
Hi:

It is brand new. This is the first time I am using Purigen.

I added one piece of dead rock last week. I soaked it for 4 or 5 days. I don't think should have done too much.

freezetyle
02-21-2013, 04:19 AM
In my other tank the "grape" macro algae turned white and went mushy. I removed it all. I am not sure what causes this.

Thanks,
Michael

Sounds like the caleurpa went sexual and released its spores.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

ckmullin
02-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Hi:

It is brand new. This is the first time I am using Purigen.

When it's time to regenerate, 50/50 water/bleach and then when it turns back to somewhat original color it's done. (or at most 12-24 hrs) After that rinse a few times in water and then use 2x dose for a dechlorinator. Swish often and leave until the bleach smell goes. (again 12-24 hrs) Don't use a declorinator that says 'added slime coat' type of thing as Seachem says this additive will clog the micro pores of Purigen.

I've used for a while so if you needed tips, glad to help.