PDA

View Full Version : the big move, is not so big anymore. *update on my move*

smokinreefer
05-21-2004, 05:40 AM
after doing a walk through of my soon to be home...
ive come to the conclusion that a large tank on the main floor just isnt going to happen... the rooms are too small for a large tank to fit in and not look obtrusive.

so ive (painfully) decided to postpone my upgrade until we a) put an addition in the house, b) tear down the house and build a new one! or c) dont rent the basement anymore. i have the perfect spot for a large in the wall set up that would allow for a large fishroom.

i orginally was thinking of setting up dual 2' cube tanks... plumbed together on a common sump, 1 barebottom high flow tank for sps and another low flow clam/softy tank. but even then the whole unit, stand and tanks would still take up too much space...

one alternative would be to use 1 of the small spare bedrooms to house the tank (the room is above the carport so additional bracing wouldnt be a problem if needed), but i am not fond of having the tank tucked away and having to go out of my way to see my tank. i want it out in the open.

so ive decided (for the moment) to go with a single smallish 2-3' tank, most likely <50G.

i was thinking a 2' x2' x 18"H 45G cube or a 40G breeder, somethin along that line. i am pretty set on lighting it with a single 250W 14k DE MH. because of its size, it will most likely be a "bonsai" reef, as i still want to keep a lot of different corals, which will mean i will have to be diligent in my maintenance/pruning as i am used to just letting things grow however big they want to!

since my 180 is at my parents house and i am attached to my fish, i will probably keep it running for a while... just not in tip top condition, and will probably downgrade the lighting to dual 250W iwasakis or something like that. so the tank may look like ****, but everything will still be growing.

i figure this is the best route for me to take at this time, who knows... i may find the new tank to be way too small for me and end up setting a bigger tank in that spare room. well, time will tell, but for now, this is the direction i will be taking.

i do want to make this little tank look nice. i will most likely hang the MH from the ceiling, build a proper stand/cabinet for the tank and equipment and will probably have the tank situated a little lower than normal, for easy top down viewing.

well thanks for taking the time to read about whats going on.
if you have any ideas/suggestions for my up and coming tank, please feel free to comment. :mrgreen: