PDA

View Full Version : Overflow box empties to fast.

2bafish
02-20-2013, 02:47 PM
So I installed a overflow box with a bulkhead and and down facing 90 degree elbow. My overflow box empties fast, makes a gurgling sound, stops the input in my sump, water runs for a bit and the whole process begins again.
I only have a ball valve above my return pump but restricting the performance is a bad idea I heard because i butns out the pump faster. What can I do to fix this? Thank you

Aquattro
02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Do you have an air vent at the top of the stack?

2bafish
02-20-2013, 02:52 PM
It's capped now but I can drill a small hole in it.

Ross
02-20-2013, 02:53 PM
So I installed a overflow box with a bulkhead and and down facing 90 degree elbow. My overflow box empties fast, makes a gurgling sound, stops the input in my sump, water runs for a bit and the whole process begins again.
I only have a ball valve above my return pump but restricting the performance is a bad idea I heard because i butns out the pump faster. What can I do to fix this? Thank you

Your gurgling sound is a full siphon emptying the overflow tube/box.

You must restrict the flow of water into the sump in order to stop this from happening.

Relect
02-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Restricting the inlet of your pump will cause premature wear on pump but shouldn't on outlet side.

Aquattro
02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
You simply need an air hole at the top of your plumbing. Don't restrict anything. Look up durso design, it shows how to use a hole with a valve. I don't use a valve myself, just have a small air hole in the top of the stacks (dual overflow pipes).

subman
02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
post a pic of the setup.

wickedfrags
02-20-2013, 03:39 PM
what he said

You simply need an air hole at the top of your plumbing. Don't restrict anything. Look up durso design, it shows how to use a hole with a valve. I don't use a valve myself, just have a small air hole in the top of the stacks (dual overflow pipes).

2bafish
02-20-2013, 06:48 PM

That was it. Thanks for all your help. So simple but effective.