PDA

View Full Version : Need help with red mangroves

frd72
02-19-2013, 03:12 AM
Hi everyone, just received couple of red mangroves and i need help to set this thing up properly.. Your feedback will be appreciated..:lol:

thank you!!!

kien
02-19-2013, 03:29 AM
Just for clarification, are you wanting to add these to your tank/sump to help with nutrient export or are you just wanting to grow them in a container for fun?

frd72
02-19-2013, 03:47 AM
i want to add it on my sump. The sump is still work in process..
thanks..

Just for clarification, are you wanting to add these to your tank/sump to help with nutrient export or are you just wanting to grow them in a container for fun?

spit.fire
02-19-2013, 03:59 AM
4 simple steps

1. Buy my mangrove refugium
2. Plumb in refugium
3 put mangroves in refugium
4. Constantly dose magnesium

spit.fire
02-19-2013, 04:01 AM
But on a serious note, make sure you monitor magnesium levels and spray the leaves with fresh water once a day to remove salt build up

Madreefer
02-19-2013, 08:49 PM
How is your growth in regards to the leaves Spitfire? My roots grow great but out of the dozen pods I have only one has sprouted any leaves.
But for the Op i'll add that I just put mine in a peice of styrofoam amd have a small koralia with some flow on the roots. I'm actually thinking on taking them out. I find them kind of ugly looking and unless you have a whole whack of them I really see no benefit in having them.

spit.fire
02-19-2013, 09:12 PM
How is your growth in regards to the leaves Spitfire? My roots grow great but out of the dozen pods I have only one has sprouted any leaves.
But for the Op i'll add that I just put mine in a peice of styrofoam amd have a small koralia with some flow on the roots. I'm actually thinking on taking them out. I find them kind of ugly looking and unless you have a whole whack of them I really see no benefit in having them.

I found root growth is quite fast in comparison to leaf growth
Also I've found that its very easy to kill the leaves (not misting, not enough light) but they always seem to recover and the pods themselves are quite hardy

It took close to 2-3 months before I started to see leaves and even now I only have a few leaves on each one after almost a year of having them but I don't take care of them very well

spit.fire
02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Oops double post

Madreefer
02-19-2013, 09:27 PM
I seen your mangrove tank in your for sale thread. Looks as though your using natural sunlight. I've had pods for quite sometime and added a bunch more a few months ago. I have the same amount of leaves as you but only using an LED flood lamp. I did buy the same Zetlight to put over them but have'nt had the chance to set it up. I guess we're not really hijacking. It is a mangrove thread.

spit.fire
02-19-2013, 09:32 PM
I seen your mangrove tank in your for sale thread. Looks as though your using natural sunlight. I've had pods for quite sometime and added a bunch more a few months ago. I have the same amount of leaves as you but only using an LED flood lamp. I did buy the same Zetlight to put over them but have'nt had the chance to set it up. I guess we're not really hijacking. It is a mangrove thread.

I've been using a diy led for the past couple months now and they're looking a lot better now as there's too many trees in my yard to get enough natural light

The light has 3 3w 10000k and 3 455nm 3w bulbs

frd72
06-11-2013, 04:12 AM
It's been almost 4 months now and thank you for all the useful responses..:wink:
Mangroves are growing well and the main key is just patience..