PDA

View Full Version : Green spotted puffer keepers. Help me out

91Atrac
02-18-2013, 06:01 PM
So I'm thinking for my new tank to keep my pistol shrimp and watchmen goby but I wanna maybe change my clowns to a GSP.

Who thinks the puffers are not safe in reefs? Will or have you experienced them attacking other fish or coral. Hermits and snails?

Let me know cuz I'm getting pretty serious about getting one!!!

Reef_Geek
02-18-2013, 06:11 PM
I had one in a quarantine tank, but it kept taking chunks out of other fish tails.

91Atrac
02-18-2013, 06:13 PM
I had one in a quarantine tank, but it kept taking chunks out of other fish tails.

Heard that's normal. I had the brackish figure 8 puffer and it tried nipping but I think cuz I had 2 of them they kept to each other. Maybe I should get 2? Add then at the same time..

Reef_Geek
02-18-2013, 06:22 PM
up to you. I sent mine back to the LFS.

it was taking chunks out of actively swimming fish in a 25 gallon quarantine tank.

about reef safe... likely not invert safe, coral compatibility unknown.

kien
02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
I had a green spotted puffer once that loved to chew up all my inverts :-(.

They have beaks that are quite well suited for nipping at just about anything and EVERYTHING. Also, they will tend to want to keep their beaks shaved down and won't hesitate to use corals for this purpose.

91Atrac
02-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Yea that's my fear so kind of why I wanted to see what others have noticed with there GSP keeping

toytech
02-20-2013, 03:00 AM
They will bite you too , keep that in mind . Mine did , and my snails, shrimp , and some of the hermits that where a little too slow . It was a cool fish but never again , a clean up crew is worth 10x any fish .

91Atrac
02-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Oh snap! Didn't know they would do that. My figure eights would just run there lips against my hand. That's about it.