PDA

View Full Version : Tlf 550 to be used for both carbon and gfo

rhody605
02-17-2013, 09:43 PM
My current issue is my gfo is turning into a solid clump in my brs style reactor. I use nylons to contain my gfo in the rector. In the same reactor in nylons is my carbon as well.

I have a tlf 550 which is a lot bigger. And may work out better flow wise. But I would also have to hold carbon in the same reactor. I was thinking I
could use the foam pads to separate the two in the tlf.

Thoughts anyone?

kien
02-17-2013, 10:04 PM
This practice is typically not recommended as the two media generally require different flow rates. In addition, one media can easily exhaust faster than the other. For example, if you happen to have high phosphates you could find yourself replacing GFO more often than the carbon needs to be replaced. I would find this a pain to do if both gfo and carbon were in the same canister. How big is your tank? Two smaller TLF150s might suite you better?

rhody605
02-17-2013, 10:21 PM
My setup is a 80g display with 30g sump.

I wish I bought 2 tlf 150 to begin with instead of the brs style reactors. A case of beginner trying to be cheap costing more in the end.

Madmak
02-18-2013, 01:54 AM
SeaChem's Seagel is a Carbon and Phosphate control product mixed together and is good quality. I've had good luck with it run in a Vertex UF-15.

Just an idea...