PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Rena XP1

paddyob
02-17-2013, 06:03 PM
I am trying to run this on my rock tank with some carbon but I cant get it to prime and run.

Culprits are possibly the impeller or seals. The impeller seems to be running. If I plug it in dry it turns freely and no noise.

When run wet... it seems to struggle and when it does run the output is very weak. Yes I cleaned all the parts and tried again.

Next is the noticeable air bubbles it seems to be pumping... which from what I found on the net, could be my problem. It could be a bad seal.

So anyone have any tips? Or best place to get parts in Edmonton?

gregzz4
02-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Pat, I'll ask the dumb questions first ...

Is the gasket still there outside the impeller well ? It sits in the 4-5" circular groove and seals the media basket.

Is the quick-release all the way down ? Wiggle it firmly into place before locking down the lever - it should lock easily.

Have you followed the fill proceedure ?
Open quick-release, remove filler cap on out-take elbow, fill pipe, close cap, open quick-release, then let sit until all siphoning stops.

OK, that's where their instructions end ... but you still have air in the top of the canister.

You can do this while it's running, but I'd suggest not before you get used to doing it with it turned off :wink:

Hold the top down with one hand and, with your other hand, release one or two pump head hold-down clamps, and the system pressure will force out most or all of the rest of the air.
Depending on your system pressure, the air may escape so quickly you'll have to clean up some water :smile:

gregzz4
02-17-2013, 06:49 PM
If that doesn't do it, LMK

paddyob
02-17-2013, 06:51 PM
The ring around the impeller is still there but it does have a break in it. So it's got about a 2-3 mm gap. My suspect seal from the first thought.

paddyob
02-17-2013, 06:52 PM
If that doesn't do it, LMK

I'll try this later tOday.

gregzz4
02-17-2013, 06:58 PM
The ring around the impeller is still there but it does have a break in it. So it's got about a 2-3 mm gap. My suspect seal from the first thought.
I've owned 4 XPs and they all had that gap
I suspect it's there to allow some flow if the media becomes plugged