PDA

View Full Version : Tyree Space Monsters GRVD

JCharles
02-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Hi, I fragged these 2 weeks ago and they’re healed and ready to go, tried to get an assortment of big and small.

Have the following:

2p 70
2p 70
2p 70
3.5p 115
4p 120
4p 120
6p 145
7p 155
6p of Pinwheel zoas, 15

Some have small babies and others have buds, but anything that’s grown since I fragged hasn’t been counted here.

I’ll trade the smaller ones for Candy Apple Reds or a mini-colony of colourful birdsnest (the ‘sharp’ phenotype, not sure if it has a name…)

Text 6048803413 or PM, I’ll be around this afternoon.

Thanks!

Jason

(Bad picture warning)
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/spacemonsters3.jpg

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/spacemonsters4.jpg

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/spacemonsters1.jpg

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/spacemonsters2.jpg

JCharles
02-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Trades pending...

Jeff000
02-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Those don't look like Tyree's
Do you have the lineage?

JCharles
02-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Those don't look like Tyree's
Do you have the lineage?

Yes, they were acquired from someone on this board who got them from a vendor here. Anyone can PM me for details.

They look sort of like the ones you posted for more $$ a few weeks ago, but more pink. Maybe because I have a lot of blue LED on them (3:1 with white).

Thanks for posting this in my thread instead of PMing me though, stay classy.

Jeff000
02-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Yes, they were acquired from someone on this board who got them from a vendor here. Anyone can PM me for details.

They look sort of like the ones you posted for more $$ a few weeks ago, but more pink. Maybe because I have a lot of blue LED on them (3:1 with white).

Thanks for posting this in my thread instead of PMing me though, stay classy.

Unless they are from Tyree then they are not Tyree Space Monsters. I did not list mine as Tyree space monsters. I also listed mine at 30/head. Your's are listed at 35/head.

Your white balance and saturation is way out to lunch so I can not tell what colors yours truly are. You know, staying classing bringing my thread into it. I also use 3:1 blue to white cree 3w LED.

I could have pm'ed. But if you had Tyree space monsters you could have said so and everyone that doesn't know as much could have seen too. But you just said you do not have Tyree space monsters, you just have space monsters. So your title is misleading and now the thread contains the clarification.

Cheers

Proteus
02-18-2013, 12:06 AM
^^^ Marko?^^^

Free bump for nice pieces

reefermadness
02-18-2013, 04:05 AM
Look legit to me....dont know what the bickering is about.

ScubaSteve
02-18-2013, 05:39 AM
....dont know what the bickering is about.

Ah, ya know... it's Sunday night, Family Guy is over, nothin' else to do... might as well start an internet battle. 'm I right? Especially the ol' Tyree ****ing match; no better time killer than that...

In fact... I got a bone to pick you you, Mr. Vanacker. I challenge you to an internet arm wrestle. You and your tank are making the rest of us look bad :razz: (One day I will be needing some frags from you)).

Back to the OP:

Those look like all the Tyree SM I've seen in person. I'd love a frag if I wasn't so damn poor right now.

BTW, I'm also in Kits. If you're ever looking for SPS frags come stop by. I make some from time to time. Where are you in Kits?

JCharles
02-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Unless they are from Tyree then they are not Tyree Space Monsters. I did not list mine as Tyree space monsters. I also listed mine at 30/head. Your's are listed at 35/head.

Your white balance and saturation is way out to lunch so I can not tell what colors yours truly are. You know, staying classing bringing my thread into it. I also use 3:1 blue to white cree 3w LED.

I could have pm'ed. But if you had Tyree space monsters you could have said so and everyone that doesn't know as much could have seen too. But you just said you do not have Tyree space monsters, you just have space monsters. So your title is misleading and now the thread contains the clarification.

Cheers

Gee, I would hate to be the guy who buys Tyree space monsters, frags them in half, and then has to sell them as non-Tyree space monsters because he didn't receive them directly from the Hands of Tyree.

My price averages to $26.80/polyp which is cheaper than everything I came across. I also made large frags for better survivability and to give people an option, which COSTS ME A LOT OF MONEY. I would be way better off selling them 1p at a time.

I brought your thread into it since you have the motivation to downplay anyone else selling these, to keep your prices high.

You'll notice that I put a bad picture warning, and also there are some Sunny D's (true Sunny D's, I got them from D himself!) in the first pic if anyone is concerned with colour-rendering.

In Summary: DERP

I work from home and anyone who wants to come by and take a look without committing to buying is more than welcome. I challenge you to come see these and leave without a frag! :biggrin:

ess
02-20-2013, 05:15 AM
Just brought home a handful of frags from this guy and they look great. Thanks! :)

kien
02-20-2013, 05:20 AM
:pop2:

JCharles
02-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Just brought home a handful of frags from this guy and they look great. Thanks! :)

Glad you're happy! Nice meeting you.

Jeff000
02-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Gee, I would hate to be the guy who buys Tyree space monsters, frags them in half, and then has to sell them as non-Tyree space monsters because he didn't receive them directly from the Hands of Tyree.

My price averages to $26.80/polyp which is cheaper than everything I came across. I also made large frags for better survivability and to give people an option, which COSTS ME A LOT OF MONEY. I would be way better off selling them 1p at a time.

I brought your thread into it since you have the motivation to downplay anyone else selling these, to keep your prices high.

If they at one point came from Tyree then they are Tyree. But he is not the only one that gets space monsters, my LFS has space monsters that were maricultured. I am sure he is not the only place that got these non Tyree Space Monsters. They can look as close as you want them to, but they are not Tyree unless they came from his lineage.

Two things, one, the GF posted those for sale, and I didn't know about it until after my post.
two, I'm not trying to keep prices high, like you they are listed for what you think you can get, but I'd take any reasonable offer really. As I am sure you would too.

albert_dao
02-21-2013, 01:07 AM
I have a question for you guys, why WOULDN'T you want to keep the price high?

FragIt Dan
02-21-2013, 05:43 AM
I have a question for you guys, why WOULDN'T you want to keep the price high?

There are a lot of people on here selling frags that are just trying to pay for the hobby and not turn a profit. Bringing prices for really nice stuff down to more reasonable levels gets great looking stuff in a lot more tanks and is good for everyone. The more tanks that are up and going, the more ppl shop for gear at stores.

Dan

albert_dao
02-21-2013, 06:13 AM
There are a lot of people on here selling frags that are just trying to pay for the hobby and not turn a profit. Bringing prices for really nice stuff down to more reasonable levels gets great looking stuff in a lot more tanks and is good for everyone. The more tanks that are up and going, the more ppl shop for gear at stores.

Dan

Okay... But there's lots of good looking stuff that's already reasonably priced.

FragIt Dan
02-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Okay... But there's lots of good looking stuff that's already reasonably priced.

Good point. I just think the more the better. If you have harvested a rare coral from a reef and there is limited qty available then sure, price it up. If I am growing out a frag into a colony and splitting it up into a bunch of frags then I think it's a different story. I am fine making $15 or $20 for doing that and am happy to keep more coral back out on the reef. My signature used to read "Save the Reef, buy a Frag!" That is my fragging tag line. Just my $0.02 :),

Dan

albert_dao
02-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Good point. I just think the more the better. If you have harvested a rare coral from a reef and there is limited qty available then sure, price it up. If I am growing out a frag into a colony and splitting it up into a bunch of frags then I think it's a different story. I am fine making $15 or $20 for doing that and am happy to keep more coral back out on the reef. My signature used to read "Save the Reef, buy a Frag!" That is my fragging tag line. Just my $0.02 :),

Dan

Lowering the price does not increase availability of exciting corals. It removes the incentive for people to bring in and distribute nice stuff if the next guy growing it is happy just having it pay for his next pack of mysis. Stores are a different beast, but since when have stores stocked nice stuff?

FragIt Dan
02-21-2013, 07:13 AM
Lowering the price does not increase availability of exciting corals. It removes the incentive for people to bring in and distribute nice stuff if the next guy growing it is happy just having it pay for his next pack of mysis. Stores are a different beast, but since when have stores stocked nice stuff?

You make some good points. Perhaps we should continue this over a beer :). Apologies to the OP for dragging this OT. You have some nice looking Zoas that I would like to buy if I had a bit more money ;). (All in good humour),

Dan

JCharles
02-21-2013, 03:04 PM
You make some good points. Perhaps we should continue this over a beer :). Apologies to the OP for dragging this OT. You have some nice looking Zoas that I would like to buy if I had a bit more money ;). (All in good humour),

Dan

No worries, drag it wherever you want! I think it's an interesting topic. The problem is that it's very difficult to come up with a price. There is barely anything to reference, and even then it may be half way across the country for a comparable piece.

I definitely waver between both of your viewpoints. Albert is right that it doesn't help anybody to drive down the price artificially. However, just because a zoo was once rare doesn't mean it will be so forever, and I think we would expect the price of space monsters (for example) to slowly come down as more people have them, more information is shared so people get better growth, etc.

albert_dao
02-22-2013, 03:11 AM
No worries, drag it wherever you want! I think it's an interesting topic. The problem is that it's very difficult to come up with a price. There is barely anything to reference, and even then it may be half way across the country for a comparable piece.

I definitely waver between both of your viewpoints. Albert is right that it doesn't help anybody to drive down the price artificially. However, just because a zoo was once rare doesn't mean it will be so forever, and I think we would expect the price of space monsters (for example) to slowly come down as more people have them, more information is shared so people get better growth, etc.

Supply/demand. Easy, lol.

I sell Space Monsters for $50/pp and I have no issues getting rid of them. Given that the market will still bear that price and I can't even keep up with the number of people on my waiting list, I see no incentive to discount the coral.

11purewater
02-22-2013, 03:28 AM
Umm... sorry to interrupt,but could I have some space monsters?I don't care who the Daddy is.:neutral:

albert_dao
02-22-2013, 03:33 AM
I will politely duck out of this thread now since OP has corals to offer and I... have yet to fulfill my waiting list.

JCharles
02-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Supply/demand. Easy, lol.

I sell Space Monsters for $50/pp and I have no issues getting rid of them. Given that the market will still bear that price and I can't even keep up with the number of people on my waiting list, I see no incentive to discount the coral.

That's fantastic, and there must be some markets I'm not aware of, because I've still got some left!

dc4
03-16-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm back from dead... :mrgreen:

Anyways, just wanted to clear things up for jcharles.

These are Tyree Space Monsters, I acquired them in the states from the a respected member of another forum and the brother of Procorals.com owner. Anyone that had dealt with me before knows the quality of corals that I had and now jcharles has.

Btw, these may also be the same that Albert has. :wink:

milou
03-16-2013, 06:01 PM
so DC4 how do you bring corals from the state across the border? is there a size limit? there are so much nicer variety down south that I want to buy but am afraid to deal with custom issue

SoloSK71
03-17-2013, 12:30 AM
so DC4 how do you bring corals from the state across the border? is there a size limit? there are so much nicer variety down south that I want to buy but am afraid to deal with custom issue

Add me to this question, I have been researching CITES permits and am more confused than when I started, but the selection online in the US beats anything I have seen in Canada and usually at half the price. I would even look at a group buy on a full box of coral to get the selection I want and frags at actual cost.

Charles

albert_dao
03-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Add me to this question, I have been researching CITES permits and am more confused than when I started, but the selection online in the US beats anything I have seen in Canada and usually at half the price. I would even look at a group buy on a full box of coral to get the selection I want and frags at actual cost.

Charles

LOL, what? Canadian selection is wicked and most pricing I have seen is very reasonable. Don't confuse photoshop or BS naming conventions with selection...

SoloSK71
03-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Please show me then an online, amazing selection that has pricing similar to that in US online stores? I am relatively new to the hobby so maybe I missed some sites.

Charles

reefwars
03-17-2013, 01:56 AM
I'm back from dead... :mrgreen:

Anyways, just wanted to clear things up for jcharles.

These are Tyree Space Monsters, I acquired them in the states from the a respected member of another forum and the brother of Procorals.com owner. Anyone that had dealt with me before knows the quality of corals that I had and now jcharles has.

Btw, these may also be the same that Albert has. :wink:

alot of the ones in calgary and in edmonton came from dc4 i must have sold those frags to about 20 different people who i know have fragged them too, they grow fast.

Jeff000
03-17-2013, 04:55 PM

Charles

With one box of corals and permits and shipping you are looking at about 500% of list price for each coral. Probably even more. Looking at 10 boxes, now you are down to 200% of list price if you're lucky.

There is a reason that every coral shop in Canada doesn't fill their tanks with the cheap american frags, it's because by the time they get here even their cost is far higher than pretty much everyone is willing to pay. And that's before they make some money to cover their time to get the corals, to unpack the corals, sell the corals, and then a little to keep the lights on, and a little bit of lunch money for the owner.

LOL, what? Canadian selection is wicked and most pricing I have seen is very reasonable. Don't confuse photoshop or BS naming conventions with selection...

Show me anywhere in Canada with some of the nice sps frags you can find easy in the states, silly names or not, find me corals that look like the ones with the silly names. The only one that was close was reefraft, and he's gone. I had almost a thousand bucks worth of coral I wanted from him, but he up and left in the middle of me trying to order a bunch of stuff.

91Atrac
09-22-2013, 02:00 AM
I agree that these aren't true space monsters: I currently have some and they look similar but not the same. Price is good and they still look nice. If you take pics from your phone use Snapseed to reset it as close as possible. That's what I do and it turns out not bad sometimes.

GLWS

Jeff000
09-22-2013, 03:56 AM
I agree that these aren't true space monsters: I currently have some and they look similar but not the same. Price is good and they still look nice. If you take pics from your phone use Snapseed to reset it as close as possible. That's what I do and it turns out not bad sometimes.

GLWS

6 months.

It's been 6 months since the last post in this thread.....

Why did you bump it? Why am I bumping it again?

davej
09-22-2013, 04:05 AM
6 months.

It's been 6 months since the last post in this thread.....

Why did you bump it? Why am I bumping it again?

Lol here's another bump

In response to the cites question
You don't need a cites permit to bring zoas across the border.
Just did it this last week. Informed border guard I had aquatic animals for my aquarium called zoanthids. Had an email from the aquatic Animal Health Veterinarian stating:

"Hello Dave,
thanks for your enquiry,
CFIA currently does not require Aquatic Animals import Permit for Cnidaria to which Sea Anemones (zoanthids) belong."

Showed it to the customs agent and after she read it was waved thru.

Just need to do your homework, know the regulations and its quite simple.

Proteus
09-22-2013, 04:40 AM
Bump.

Hahaha

JCharles
09-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Finally 91Atrac weighs in and I can stop checking this thread! :lol:

All gone anyway. It's almost as if phenotypes of organisms are affected by their environment huh guys! :neutral:

91Atrac
09-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Haha sure did :) had to say something about em. You following my Instagram?

Just just posted pics of mine. Won't post em on this thread. Not respectful.

Glad they all sold :D