PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Acrylic Tank with a Magic Eraser

sbcam
02-17-2013, 06:29 AM
Hey guys, I have been fighting with a reasonable way to clean the algae build up on my 140g Acrylic tank. For months I have scrubbed and scratched away with plastic scrapers. The Kent marine with extendable arm is what I have been using the most.. with limited sucess. Today out of frustration I went on the interweb and searched out tricks regarding Acrylic aquarium cleaning and came into a interesting thread regarding the "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (regular). Apparently it used no chemicals, just some technogly which lifts and pulls particals. I ended up buying a pack, and cutting them down to fit in between my Mag Float ( so that the mag floats magnetism would still be effective ). Let me tell you, it worked AMAZINGLY! I am shocked by how affecting it was, even bits of coraline came off by simply rubbing the modified mag float. What use to take me an hour, took me 15 minutes. Here is the original thread : http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/anyone-use-a-mr-clean-magic-eraser-for-algae-removal-154753.html.

I would like to know how well it works on glass... let me know if you guys try it, and what sort of luck you have with it. I will continue to use it and let you all know if there are any negative results!

reefme
02-17-2013, 12:03 PM
How are you cut them to make it nice and straight?

mseepman
02-17-2013, 04:57 PM
I can't believe that this would be safe. I have been busy cleaning my previous home (I moved) and have used a ton of these...everywhere you use them they leave a soapy white residue that has to be cleaned up with water and a towel. I struggle to see how that residue is good for your tank.

Delphinus
02-17-2013, 05:20 PM
I thought there was detergent in them but maybe there are some that do and some that don't. Googling for more info I came across this - http://reefbuilders.com/2009/03/03/magic-eraser-clean/

Ok, so people are using magic erasers in their fish tanks. :eek: mind = blown.

ckmullin
02-17-2013, 05:56 PM
From memory formaldehyde was used in the manufacturing process but not necessary in the product itself. Those 'erasers' are melamine foam and the structure looks almost like steel wool. So that's why it can remove stuff because of it's internal structure. For me I wouldn't use a product like that in such a delicate ecosystem too worried perhaps about what 'might be' during production. One thing that I don't like is that the product actually 'wears down'. Hence you'll now have minute particles of melamine foam in your tank which no doubly some critters will ingest. A few years back there was a story out of China with liquid baby food about someone adding melamine to inflate protein counts and of course went horribly wrong because melamine in any regard should not be consumed. Why the labels say to keep away from kids and pets because it's possible they could ingest the product.

I'm much happier with something like this.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/razor-scraper-with-blades/972573

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/28-500_A1_rgb_4.jpg

my 2c

Reef Pilot
02-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Hmmm, this sounds promising.... I have an acrylic tank, that is very hard to get really clean. But am heading off to Maui in a week, so probably not a good time to try it...

sbcam
02-17-2013, 11:40 PM
I cut them using a fully extended sharp exacto knife. It doesnt sponge down while pressing them like a regular sponge would.. it was actually suprisingly easy to cut... failry straight. They dont have to be perfect.. just about 1/8" thick to allow the magnet to have enough pressure to do its job.

brotherd
02-18-2013, 01:30 AM
I have used the original type (not the kitchen /bathroom one) in a freshwater glass tank in the past, no problems at all with livestock or plants. I would hesitate to use it in an sps tank though...

The Codfather
02-18-2013, 01:33 AM
Guys have been using them for years, they do work incredibly well. If you want some reading there are several threads about them on RC.

Reef Pilot
02-18-2013, 01:49 AM
Had a box of these in our laundry closet and was just reading the instructions. A couple things caught my eye.

"Rinse food contact surfaces with clean, potable water after cleaning."

"Rinse required for surfaces in direct contact with food."

So if it needs to be rinsed off before using with food, is it safe in my SPS tank?

reefwars
02-18-2013, 01:57 AM
i used one on my 110g acrylic tank no ill effects for a long time , that was years ago

Ryan7
08-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Just came across people using these on their acrylic tanks.

Anyone one have any ill effects?

reefme
08-24-2013, 12:19 PM
No, still using it. Make sure buy the original brand.

sbcam
08-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Still working great for me, with no side affects.

I only use it for my heavy cleaning every 2-3 weeks.