PDA

View Full Version : Aquaclear 5000 pump

JoJo
08-15-2002, 04:42 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with an Aquaclear 5000 pump? How does it compare to the Mag7? Thanks!!

clintyiu
08-15-2002, 04:57 AM
Danny,

I am using these for a DIY needle wheel skimmer pump and two more for circulation. They are very sturdy, well made and have high flow at lower pressure. They make a clicking sound when used as 0 header circulation pump though. Sounds like there is cavitation happening. Still much quieter than a Mag.

I am using the same mag 7 in my pond for over 5 years now. This pump seems to be able to pump better at pressure. Had another mag 7 as a return for my reef and the noise was unbearable.

I got AC 5000 powerheads for about $70 at Oranda btw.

HTH.

Clint

JoJo
08-15-2002, 05:36 AM
Thanks Clint,

You mentioned a DIY needle wheel pump for you skimmer, what did you do. The reason is Ace had bought a T1000 skimmer from Achilles awhile back. It had a Rio 2500 with slits cut into the impeller blades to work somewhat like the needle wheel. The pump is on the way out so Ace is looking for an alternative. Do you think your DIY will work in his case? The AC 5000 is going for around $60 at KingEd. Thanks for your info!!!

clintyiu
08-15-2002, 01:31 PM
I don't think anyone else would attempt this...My fiancee thought I was crazy. But I was not about to pay for a euroreef pump.

My DIY needle wheel was made with a flat sheet of styrene and small styrene rods. These are available from model hobby shops. Styrene comes in variety of thickness and diameters and it's not a brittle plastic so the needles don't break off that easily. A special glue/solvent was used to bond/fuse the pieces together.

I used a dremel tool and a dremel press to cut the circular ring plate and drilled the holes to receive the rods. The ring plate fits snuggly at the base of the AC 5000 impeller (take the impeller off the magnet and shaft) and the two are Krazy glued together. I also cut the vanes off the impeller to reduce water flow.

IMO this is a lot more efficient than using a beckett injector. You don't really need a needle wheel if you use an intake venturi but the bubble size is not as consistent and it will be noisier.

clint

reefburnaby
08-15-2002, 02:28 PM
Hi,

I have two aquaclear 5000 running in my tank smile.gif Yah...its a bit much for a 90 (they are rated for ~1000 gph each), but I run them at 50% duty cycle (12 hours each day).

They are pretty good pumps and they are quiet...but not as quiet as a Maxijet, but more quiet than a Mag 5 (I don't have a Mag 7...just a 5). I haven't tried to put these pumps on a wavemaker....so I don't know if they will hold up. Parts are hard to get hold of...maybe I'll try Oranda and see. If you used them, I would not recommend submerging them in saltwater as is. The impeller housing uses stainless steel screws (which can strip if you aren't careful...but that's a different problem) to bolt it on to the main motor housing -- kind of like a Mag.

I am not sure if the pump will work well with head pressure since I run them closed loop.

I bought the pumps over the Mag 9.5 because they use less power (60W a piece), I didn't need the pressure capability and they are quieter. I bought them at King Ed's for $60.

- Victor.

JoJo
08-15-2002, 05:42 PM
Thanks Guys!!!