PDA

View Full Version : what lighting would you use?

icy.bing
02-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Hi guys,

I am currently in market for LED lights for my tank

Just want to get some opinions on what and where should I use and get my lighting

The tank that the lights are going to shine in is the ADA 8.6G shallow.

60-F (W24×D12×H7) is the dimension. I am not going to hang the light from the ceiling so prefer ones w/ legs =D

Thanks!

mrhasan
02-17-2013, 01:31 AM
What sort of corals are you thinking of keeping? And what's your budget? LEDs can give a big swing in terms of price so those two things are very important ;)

icy.bing
02-17-2013, 01:36 AM
zoes, mushrooms, brain corals, birdnes =D

I am new to this so going to start of with easier to keep corals..

price... umm.. anywhere up to $500 can be managed :razz:

mrhasan
02-17-2013, 01:39 AM
zoes, mushrooms, brain corals, birdnes =D

I am new to this so going to start of with easier to keep corals..

price... umm.. anywhere up to $500 can be managed :razz:

Get a Radion. No question asked and you wont go wrong with it :P In that case, you are all checked in terms of light :)

icy.bing
02-17-2013, 01:48 AM
ummm... looks fancy lol

how about one's w/ legs that i can just put ontop of the tank?

any company makes those kind?

mrhasan
02-17-2013, 01:52 AM
ummm... looks fancy lol

how about one's w/ legs that i can just put ontop of the tank?

any company makes those kind?

You best bet would be:

http://www.modularled.ca/custom-hanging-bracket/

BTW, radios would be a total overkill for your tank. I am suggesting this since you have a big load of budget for light. And you can use this when you will be upgrading your tank :)

icy.bing
02-17-2013, 01:57 AM
that's awsome! i guess i can really pay my way out of things LOL

thanks for the reply

mike31154
02-17-2013, 01:58 AM
IMO a Radion would be way overkill for a tank this size. It's a shallow nano! You'd have to hang the Radion 5 feet above the tank to keep from cooking the livestock with photons, or keep it at the dimmest possible setting. Not a wise way to spend over $600. OPs budget is $500 or less and furthermore, he'd like something with legs. The Radion has no mounting option aside from a hanging kit that costs extra.

There are plenty of other more cost effective LED options out there for a shallow nano that won't break the bank, including diy. You might even get by with closely placed strips of 5050 or 5630 SMD LEDs that are available on eBay or other vendors in 5 meter rolls for less than $30 considering the corals you intend to start out with.

Check out some of the nano specific forums/threads to get a better idea of what's out there. Nanos were actually at the forefront of the LED revolution & there's plenty of experience to draw on there.

mrhasan
02-17-2013, 02:01 AM
IMO a Radion would be way overkill for a tank this size. It's a shallow nano! You'd have to hang the Radion 5 feet above the tank to keep from cooking the livestock with photons, or keep it at the dimmest possible setting. Not a wise way to spend over $600. OPs budget is $500 or less and furthermore, he'd like something with legs. The Radion has no mounting option aside from a hanging kit that costs extra.

There are plenty of other more cost effective LED options out there for a shallow nano that won't break the bank, including diy. You might even get by with closely placed strips of 5050 or 5630 SMD LEDs that are available on eBay or other vendors in 5 meter rolls for less than $30 considering the corals you intend to start out with.

Check out some of the nano specific forums/threads to get a better idea of what's out there. Nano's were actually at the forefront of the LED revolution & there's plenty of experience to draw on there.

Yap that's why I already wrote it will be an overkill. Legs shouldn't be a problem since mounting legs are available through modularLED.

Anyway...on a serious note....I think this light will do excellent for the tank:

http://www.qpaws.ca/zetlight_nano.html

Or you can simply use Par38.

mrhasan
02-17-2013, 02:08 AM
Get a Radion. No question asked and you wont go wrong with it :P In that case, you are all checked in terms of light :)

BTW I am terribly sorry for suggesting radion. 7" is just way too shallow for radion. The other one (zetlight) should be great for this tank.

mike31154
02-17-2013, 02:11 AM
Since your tank appears to be 24" in length, the following might work nicely.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ld-mlrb1824/Marineland+Reef+Bright+LED+Light+with+Timer+%2818-24+Inch%29.html

... and while the vendor is not quite in your neighbourhood, a drive to Burnaby might not be a bad idea. You can get a first hand look at what you'd be buying.

The Grizz
02-17-2013, 02:17 AM
Personally I would do a SOL, but it 12-14" above your tank with a hanging arm from Modular LED, you can get both the SOL & arm there & get a chocolate bar too. I have a SOL on my nano & I love it. plus if you upgrade to a larger tank you can get another SOL if required.

The Grizz
02-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Since your tank appears to be 24" in length, the following might work nicely.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ld-mlrb1824/Marineland+Reef+Bright+LED+Light+with+Timer+%2818-24+Inch%29.html

... and while the vendor is not quite in your neighbourhood, a drive to Burnaby might not be a bad idea. You can get a first hand look at what you'd be buying.

I tried one of these & they really suck, not powerful enough even for 7"H tank & not worth the money.

icy.bing
02-17-2013, 02:20 AM
i've actually talked to the vender for the zetlight nano, and he suggested having 2 of them side by side so that there are enough light spread from one end of the tank to another...

what you guys think about that?

or are there any other options?

subman
02-17-2013, 02:27 AM
Watch the buy and sell here for a good deal. Like Grizz said a sol will do nicely and there are lots for sale. I also saw a sol Nano for sale here in Edmonton, maybe the seller will ship.

The Grizz
02-17-2013, 02:27 AM
I'm a big believer in you pay for what you get & @ $80 per zetlight it could be very cheaply made. Requiring 2 of these would mean they only have a spread for 12" where a SOL has a spread of 24" x 24" and could be used on a bigger tank.

canadianbudz604
02-17-2013, 02:28 AM
Rock a par38 with a gooseneck clamp u won't be disappointed

icy.bing
02-17-2013, 02:32 AM
well what really going through my mind is that since my tank is rather shallow i do not require a strong light right?

mrhasan
02-17-2013, 02:33 AM
I'm a big believer in you pay for what you get & @ $80 per zetlight it could be very cheaply made. Requiring 2 of these would mean they only have a spread for 12" where a SOL has a spread of 24" x 24" and could be used on a bigger tank.

Zetlight does have a good reputation for that price but yah, the spread is not something to be bragged about.

icy.bing
02-17-2013, 02:35 AM
sorry for my noobieness, what's SOL?

The Grizz
02-17-2013, 02:39 AM
http://www.modularled.ca/ai-sol/

True you don't need a strong light but most of us reefers will tell you as ways think ahead because you will upgrade your tank once your hooked.

Here's one in Victoria for sale

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=94752

mike31154
02-17-2013, 02:40 AM
As I mentioned, take a drive to J&L in Burnaby & have a look around. Nothing like seeing a light in person rather than something ordered through the interweb. If you do plan to upgrade at some time, then yes, get a more powerful light, but if not, no sense going overkill with more light than you need. Seems to me the Marineland fits your bill, you can get either the 18-24 inch or the next size up. It comes with the mounting option you want & the newer models have integrated timers. Should be plenty of light for soft coral and possibly some easier lps/sps if they're mounted higher in the tank. Beats ordering something unseen & waiting for the mailperson to deliver.

mrhasan
02-17-2013, 02:42 AM
sorry for my noobieness, what's SOL?

Ai SOL....that's another major brand of LED.

icy.bing
02-17-2013, 02:42 AM
o LOL this unit! My wife have one for her cube... LOL

ok... i guess i will be walking down the same path as my wife then.. cus i was thinking for shallow tank i don't need that strong of LED hahahah

icy.bing
02-17-2013, 02:44 AM
As I mentioned, take a drive to J&L in Burnaby & have a look around. Nothing like seeing a light in person rather than something ordered through the interweb. If you do plan to upgrade at some time, then yes, get a more powerful light, but if not, no sense going overkill with more light than you need. Seems to me the Marineland fits your bill, you can get either the 18-24 inch or the next size up. It comes with the mounting option you want & the newer models have integrated timers. Should be plenty of light for soft coral and possibly some easier lps/sps if they're mounted higher in the tank. Beats ordering something unseen & waiting for the mailperson to deliver.

i will prob head down to JL sometime next week to check out some stuffs as my wife prob needs to do some shoping for her tank too... will definitly take a look at the lights availible..

Nano
02-17-2013, 03:33 AM
Personally I wouldn't waste your cash on a marineland led fixture. Cheaply made to say the least. Id go with an AI SOL or even some ecoxotic panorama pro modules would work great in my opinion :)

Martin @ modularled.ca is a wicked guy to deal with and could give you tons of options on a shallow tank. Great service, free chocolates with any order what more could you ask ;) lol
Good luck in your hunt for lights