PDA

View Full Version : water height / weir / pump flow

reeferfulton
02-15-2013, 11:05 PM
first I will explain my setup , then ask the question

I have a few questions regarding return pump flow , weir teeth width and height of DT water.

Currently my tank is setup with a mag 9 with NO bypass option to return part of the flow to the sump, and a herbie overflow. When I initially set the tank up . My wier was to (nonrestrictive) and even with the pump running full bore i could not get the water height to rise slightly above the black trim .

So I i added acyrilic strips behind the wier to prevent so much water from passing through it .
Thus now when the pump is running the water level comes to the height i wanted and I have adjusted the gate valve to match ..

My question is
If in the future i want to add more flow to the tank aka . a stronger return pump. And also want it to pump all of its potential into the display .
Am i not going to have to modify my weir yet again ?

Basically once your wier height is set to a certain gallon per hour flow into the DT .. you are stuck with it ?

any comments on these observations would be great
thanks
jon

Baldy
02-15-2013, 11:09 PM
is it an internal or external overflow? is there a way to adjust the height of the teeth of the overflow?

reeferfulton
02-15-2013, 11:38 PM
internal tank overflow .

no there is no real way of adjusting the teeth height. i made the glass over flow area 22.5 inches tall .
then covered that in acyrilic right to the top of the tank 25"

with teeth cut down from top to the 22.5 inch glass .

Then i added a 1/2 peice of acyrilic all the way around to effectively raise the start of the teeth to 23" ..

How do other people do this ..
I was thinking one day i would upgrade my return pump to a higher flow. but then was stumped , as this would effect my overflow into the wier

Mike-fish
02-16-2013, 07:16 AM
So long as your plumbing can handle the increased flow rate you should be good to go the display tank level may shift a bit. Reef central has a calculator for that stuff just the weir size might be off a bit

mark
02-16-2013, 03:17 PM
simply greater the flow, greater the height of water above the weir.

run the overflow capacity calculator on reefs.org (http://www.reefs.org/library/downloads/) as it setup for a notched weir. Might find the increase height with flow not that much depending on how weir is setup (number of teeth etc).