PDA

View Full Version : Drilling an extra hole

paddyob
02-15-2013, 01:57 PM
As I rebuild I consider a second drain hole. Beside the first. A couple inches apart.

How risky is it for some who has never done it?

Tips and tricks appreciated.

Proteus
02-15-2013, 02:06 PM
It's pretty easy but I would try to keep it 3" apart. And have another person ther to pour water for lube

paddyob
02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
It's pretty easy but I would try to keep it 3" apart. And have another person ther to pour water for lube

?

Proteus
02-15-2013, 02:13 PM
?

Keep the holes 3" apart. Is there something that you were unsure of.

I rock the bit side to side so that its not cutting flat. And keep water on bit to wash away glass dust
Also use a guide to start hole or it will slide around

daplatapus
02-15-2013, 02:14 PM
It's pretty scary the first time, but actually not that difficult. I usually use plumbers putty, role it in my hands and make a rope with it, and lay it on the glass 1" or so bigger all around the area I'm going to be drilling. Press is down just a bit so it seals up against the glass and fill it with water.
Take your drill (highly recommend a cordless drill) and turn the torque way down. Probably to it's lowest setting or close to it. You should easily, very easily, be able to grab the chuck with one hand and be able to stop the drill. This way if your bit binds in the hole it doesn't grab and break the glass.
I believe the spacing is 2X the hole diameter between holes and/or to the edge of the glass as well.
Hope that helps and if I'm wrong anywhere there, please feel free to correct me :)

Proteus
02-15-2013, 02:16 PM
+1 on clutch setting. Learned that the hard way

paddyob
02-15-2013, 02:19 PM
+1 on clutch setting. Learned that the hard way

This is what scares me.....

Proteus
02-15-2013, 02:25 PM
What happened with me is the clutch was off and when the bit started to break through it tourqed up and cracked glass. So with the clutch at lightest setting and a couple inches between hole it will be ok. Like stated you should be able to hold the chuck very easily

FishyFishy!
02-15-2013, 02:27 PM
It's honestly not that bad at all. Have you tried to practice on a junk sheet of glass yet? If not, I highly recommend doing so. Thats what I did to get started. I drilled 4 holes before even touching my main tank. All came out great in the the Practice runs, so I did my main. Aside from a few small chips on the outside when the bit came through, all went well.

The worst part IMO is getting the hole started. I learned the best way is to brace the drill with one hand on the glass and drill, hold the bit at an angle so that just one tiny part touches the glass first, then slowely start angling the bit so that it's flat and 100% of it is touching the glass. This works great.

I also had a garden hose pouring constantly on the bit/hole for lubrication and it worked great. It also washes away the glass dust.

The Guy
02-15-2013, 02:39 PM
As I rebuild I consider a second drain hole. Beside the first. A couple inches apart.

How risky is it for some who has never done it?

Tips and tricks appreciated.
BRS how to :

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/howto-drill-aquariums-and-install-internal-overflow/

paddyob
02-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Good tip on scrap piece.... Now do I have or can I find some.

It's honestly not that bad at all. Have you tried to practice on a junk sheet of glass yet? If not, I highly recommend doing so. Thats what I did to get started. I drilled 4 holes before even touching my main tank. All came out great in the the Practice runs, so I did my main. Aside from a few small chips on the outside when the bit came through, all went well.

The worst part IMO is getting the hole started. I learned the best way is to brace the drill with one hand on the glass and drill, hold the bit at an angle so that just one tiny part touches the glass first, then slowely start angling the bit so that it's flat and 100% of it is touching the glass. This works great.

I also had a garden hose pouring constantly on the bit/hole for lubrication and it worked great. It also washes away the glass dust.

FishyFishy!
02-15-2013, 02:43 PM
I have plenty if I was in edmonton!! haha. I'm sure you can find someone up there that has tonnes of them lying around.

gregzz4
02-15-2013, 02:51 PM
If it hasn't already been mentioned, try to drill from the wet side
This way any glass chipping won't be against your bulkhead seal

Proteus
02-15-2013, 03:06 PM
I have lots of glass if you want to meet me this weekend ill give you some

rhody605
Hey pat I have a bunch of old glass that you can practice on. Just let me know if you need it.

reef-keeper
The best guide I found was to drill through a wood like. 1x4 long enough to hold on to while I started the hole in the glass. Then tossed it aside once I was 1/4 way though the glass. Then you'd finish. Sand the rough edges then DONE. Mission accomplished.

reefwars
02-15-2013, 03:18 PM
pat , drill on fastest setting . , drill from both sides so not to shell the glass when it breaks through.

put tape over the other side to stop the puck from falling if you have to drill down.

round out your hole by moving the drill around in circles as your drilling, that ways the bit doesnt wedge in the glass hole and the hole ends up just slightly bigger than your bit.

not much water is really needed if the glass is thin , its more for not wearing your diamond bit down , on glass 12mm and over water must be used as the glass gets hot and could split.

when first staring start on an angle like fishy fishy mentioned , then slowly lift your drill up straight , this way the bit doesnt throw you while you start and leave a mark in your panel or chip it.

gl

:)

2pts
02-15-2013, 03:43 PM
The way I have done it is to predrill a piece of plywood with a wood bit the same size or slightly larger, clamp that piece of plywood to the front with the hole lined up where you want to drill your new hole. It will give your glass hole saw a guide so your not having it spin off and cracking the glass.

Clamp an undrilled piece of plywood to the back of the glass and dont forget the water running on the hole as your drilling.

That said, after reading this thread, I would probably switch the plywood around part way through, and drill from both sides.

Also you need to find out if that pane of glass is tempered, if it is, all this is a no go.

e46er
02-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Put a towel or cardboard or something in the tank so when the piece falls out it doesn't crack the other side of the tank

paddyob
02-15-2013, 05:25 PM
The way I have done it is to predrill a piece of plywood with a wood bit the same size or slightly larger, clamp that piece of plywood to the front with the hole lined up where you want to drill your new hole. It will give your glass hole saw a guide so your not having it spin off and cracking the glass.

Clamp an undrilled piece of plywood to the back of the glass and dont forget the water running on the hole as your drilling.

That said, after reading this thread, I would probably switch the plywood around part way through, and drill from both sides.

Also you need to find out if that pane of glass is tempered, if it is, all this is a no go.

If the tank was previously drilled... Is it safe to assume not tempered? Already three holes when I bought it used.

Back drilled.

FishyFishy!
02-15-2013, 06:51 PM
If the tank was previously drilled... Is it safe to assume not tempered? Already three holes when I bought it used.

Back drilled.

Yeah you're good to go then.

reefwars
02-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Yeah you're good to go then.

not necessarily , they drill the holes before tempering the glass .

are the edges polished pat?

spit.fire
02-15-2013, 07:52 PM

I've never seen a factory drilled tank that was drilled on the back let alone tempered on the back

But that being said there are always exceptions

I'd say 80% chance it wouldn't be tempered

That being said your statement is correct in lots of cases, like by rr 72 bowfront

Factory drilled bottom with tempered bottom which I find to be real common on bowfronts

paddyob
02-15-2013, 07:57 PM

Not sure what you mean by polished. I thought all tanks were polished. It's not a custom tank or anything.

Is it common to have tempered glass all around? I thought it was usually just the bottom.

reefwars
02-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Not sure what you mean by polished. I thought all tanks were polished. It's not a custom tank or anything.

Is it common to have tempered glass all around? I thought it was usually just the bottom.

no not all tanks have polished edges. i doubt they would temper your tank and if they did it would be probably on the bottom panel only.

i also doubt they would temper all panels , cost is too high unless it was to use a smaller thickness in glass.

what company made your tank?