PDA

View Full Version : New to dosing

Jaws
02-14-2013, 04:12 AM
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good link for learning about dosing? I plan to start dosing the basics like Ca, Alk, and Mg and add trace elements and phytoplankton down the road. I'm Just wondering what the best mix of supplements people recommend adding. I've heard there are better mixes of calcium, alk, and mag versus others. I plan on having the ability to dose up to 6 different things if necessary too so what would those 6 things be and why? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

nerdz
02-14-2013, 05:54 AM
Here is a great video that should answer most of your questions.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDgQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dqmc 491EbLxg&ei=roscUcOzMuKsiAKen4CwDQ&usg=AFQjCNGJFBy8-luDcd0Ok8MjISo8Z8cdbA

freezetyle
02-14-2013, 02:37 PM
balling lite method.
http://reefbuilders.com/2009/09/11/instructions-fauna-marins-light-balling-method/

I followed the mixtures that they recommend. i was also using their trace minerals but didn't really notice a difference

Royal Aquariums
02-14-2013, 03:01 PM
We supply a full line of bulk additives to supplement calcium, alkalinity and magnesium in reef tanks. These are very similar to BRS additives and are available in Canada. Instructions for each additive are shown in product descriptions.

http://www.royalaquariums.ca/ra-bulk-additives

don.ald
02-14-2013, 03:41 PM
A lot depends on the additives you dose!
Some contain additives while others don't and need additions.
Also, be wise as to what products you choose to dose, make sure there is stock readily available.
For example, I used Fauna For awhile, but ever time I needed to replenish, the supply was not available and I had to wait for stock or order from the U.S. and that usually means substituting something else and there goes consistency.
R.

Reef Supplies
02-14-2013, 04:31 PM
A lot depends on the additives you dose!
Some contain additives while others don't and need additions.
Also, be wise as to what products you choose to dose, make sure there is stock readily available.
For example, I used Fauna For awhile, but ever time I needed to replenish, the supply was not available and I had to wait for stock or order from the U.S. and that usually means substituting something else and there goes consistency.
R.

Well said

Jaws
02-14-2013, 09:12 PM
We supply a full line of bulk additives to supplement calcium, alkalinity and magnesium in reef tanks. These are very similar to BRS additives and are available in Canada. Instructions for each additive are shown in product descriptions.

http://www.royalaquariums.ca/ra-bulk-additives

Thanks everyone.

With a 700G total water volume, minus about 200G for live rock and sand, what do you think my monthly cost would be approximately to run an SPS dominated system? I've done the calculations myself for Bulk Reef Supply but I'm not sure if my math is right. What would your additives cost per month approximately?

donkey77
02-14-2013, 10:24 PM
iam new to dosing too and got the biokit reef from prodibio and wow, very easy to use, got a dendro from the LFS, didm't open for a week and some other corals, used it at night time and by the morning the dendro was open, just so easy to use

Royal Aquariums
02-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone.

With a 700G total water volume, minus about 200G for live rock and sand, what do you think my monthly cost would be approximately to run an SPS dominated system? I've done the calculations myself for Bulk Reef Supply but I'm not sure if my math is right. What would your additives cost per month approximately?

Really tough to say , there's alot of variables that can impact how much you have to dose. Do you know many ml you would approximately be dosing a day for brs additives?

It's going to be very tough to beat our product for price/quality comparison. And you can be sure that it will always be available to you.

don.ald
02-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks everyone.

Have you thought about using a reactor?

Aquattro
02-14-2013, 11:29 PM

Glad you said it, I was just keeping my mouth shut :razz:

eli@fijireefrock.com
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Glad you said it, I was just keeping my mouth shut :razz:
:twised::twised::twised::twised:
just kidding Brad:biggrin:,..I used a reactor for years and loved it and now I find it easier and safer for dosing as it works great for my system as the calcification always changing (by selling and always adding corals)
there is always the individual choice to go either way and its best to be presented with all the choice available with the experience to back it up.
That said and only from my experience I like the dosing regime and of course using the product I carry.(see below)

This is a recipe that I use and recommend to everyone.1st knowing where your chemicals come from and their quality as this recipe is best suited for these Chemicals,I have tried other product being sold out in the market as they all work but it stands to how its graded,each chemical has a difference in ion exchange and weight,..
1st you need to keep a constant husbandry of doing your recommended water changes 5%/week or 10%/every other week or 20%/monthly.
2nd test your water prior and a day after your water change.by doing so you will find out the readings of your salt added to your tank.Do another reading the day after to find out how much your system uses,accommodating your system accordingly to the recipe below or your own.
3rd adding chemicals shouldn't be hard but enjoyable
Below recipe is for normal PH reading (8.1 _8.3) measuring of chemicals is best as weight instead of using a measuring cup.
1a)Calcium chloride dehydrate,dilute 500grms (aprox.2.5cups) in a 1 gallon of RO water.
1b) Soda Ash,dilute 593grms (aprox.2.25cups) in a 1 gallon of RO water.
3c) Magnesium,by weight totals 64oz ratio 3/5.Mix 5 cups of Magnesium Chloride with 3 cups Magnesium Sulfate in a 1 gallon of RO water.
Now on to the addition of chemicals.
In my experience and with the fluctuation of PH in some systems it is best to add all chemicals during the night time of the system and in this sequence 1st magnesium then Soda and last calcium,you could have this added in one setting or throughout the night witch what I do.

For having a balanced chemicals and ion exchange you need not to play too much with individual chemicals as the extra ions of one chemical will have effects on your system in the long run(again I must push the husbandry of water changes)

Adding your chemicals
After doing the initial readings and finding out your tank needs you need to bring all readings to specs.first add magnesium mix to have a reading of 1350ppm. Second add calcium chloride to have 400 to 450ppm and last Soda ash to have reading of your choice between 7 and 11 DKH.bring your tank parameters to specs should be accomplished slowly and within few days especially Soda ash (as it has the most affect on your PH)

Here is the guidelines to be used on a daily basis
Low demand tank
use 0.3ml/gallon(tank water)/day calcium chloride
0.3ml/gallon(tank water)/day Soda ash
Medium demand tank
use 0.5ml/gallon(tank water)/day calcium chloride
0.5ml/gallon(tank water)/day Soda ash
Heavy SPS demand tank
use 1.0ml/gallon(tank water)/day calcium chloride
1.0ml/gallon(tank water)/day Soda ash
Very important,when adjusting parameters make sure adjustment made to Calcium is equal to Soda ash adjustment and vise-versa.

Now magnesium addition goes for any of the above guidelines
For every one gallon of Soda ash and Calcium chloride added to tank add 610ml of the magnesium recipe.

I hope that explains a little about chemical addition to a saltwater tank.

Jaws
02-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Really tough to say , there's alot of variables that can impact how much you have to dose. Do you know many ml you would approximately be dosing a day for brs additives?

It's going to be very tough to beat our product for price/quality comparison. And you can be sure that it will always be available to you.

My calculations based on their 1mL/G formula I would be dosing 500mL a day of both Calcium and Alk, and about 80mL a day of Mag. If you break that down to actual costs of the powdered supplement I get the following:

80mL of Calcium per day
62mL of Alk per day
15mL of Mg S per day
25mL of MgCL per day

I'm hoping my math is right but I think that sums up what I'd be dosing in powder version each day.

I've always used a reactor and I'm not a huge fan to be honest. I hate that you have to use CO2, I always had to dose extra alkalinity because the reactor never kept up, and I'll have to dose magnesium anyways so I figure I might as well just dose everything. It seems much simpler to dial everything in without the fluctuation in pH from using CO2.

don.ald
02-15-2013, 01:09 AM
I have a 90g and have never used a reactor but I am considering it?
Kinda why I asked.
Currently I dose manually with seachem, but I have followed the balling method, and have used various chems and dosing regiments. My experience is that the dosing pumps (which i used for over two years) also need regular maintenance such as pump tube replacements, adjustments, and those tubes clog regularly...for me it was high maintanance that why I gave them up for manual dosing daily.
But back to your original question, fauna Marin website has great information on dosing, or just search for the "balling method" here on canreef.

.http://static.faunamarin.de/manuals/manual_balling-methode_eng.pdf

Royal Aquariums
02-16-2013, 04:21 AM
Alright so, for calcium/alkalinity which is the main part of your dosing

at 500ml a day

3785ml in 1 Gallon of solution

3785/500= 7.57 days of dosing per 1 gallon of solution

1 Gallon of RA Calcium Chloride powder makes up 8, 1 gallon mixes of solution.

1 Gallon of RA Soda Ash powder makes up 10, 1 gallon mixes of solution.

In conclusion there are roughly 4 weeks per month, calcium portion will cost you 24.99 every two months and alkalinity portion will cost you 24.99 every two and a half months. For a large tank like yours you really cannot argue with the cost savings using our bulk additives give.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, did not realize there were replies.