PDA

View Full Version : ZeoLite stones

Werbo
02-14-2013, 03:58 AM
Read up on Zeovit and Brightwell's websites about the zeolite stones so I have an idea about the premise.

My question is:

1. What differences do you notice in your tank that tells you its time to replace the stones?

2. With fresh zeolites what benefits do you notice?

Thanks

Delphinus
02-14-2013, 06:20 AM
I have a very hard time noticing a difference when they get old. My zeolites right now are so far past overdue for replacement it's not even funny.

I think I notice my water is clearer the first few days after a zeolite changeout though. It's not so much the water seems clearer, but the lights seem brighter, which I attribute to the water being clearer.

Aquattro
02-14-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't really pay attention to it, it's just part of the system I run. I change out a bag per month. I feed tons, I forget to clean my skimmer sometimes and I still have great colors. Good enough for me.

Werbo
02-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Tony you'll have to change your stones and let us know what you notice.

Sounds like setting up a regular routine and following the directions is best. The stones really seem to be something that work (ammonia absorbtion & bacteria growing surface) but nobody knows how they work.

Aquattro
02-14-2013, 03:01 PM
but nobody knows how they work.

I'm sure somebody knows how this works :)

fencer
02-14-2013, 03:09 PM
zeolites must be chnged on a regular basis ....like carbon. Most of the binding sites on the zeolites get saturated very quickly. Do they work I can't tell. IMHO i think water changes are more effective. More recent stuff has replaced the zeo method

sphelps
02-14-2013, 03:22 PM
I think it depends on how strictly you follow the guide/procedure for a zeovit system. I know when I use to use it I got really good results when following proper schedules and keeping up with the exchanging and dosing. If I would slack off for a while it was noticeable which is why my favorite product soon became Zeospur2. Using the proper reactor and pumping it daily is key IME and often neglected by many users.

So really you get what you put into it, and like everything else constancy is key. In Doug's case if the stones are exceptionally old chances are they aren't doing much but switching them out now may not produce instant results and it may take a few regular changes to get things back on track to 100%. However that said 100% is a relative term as people set their own standards.

Some info from Zeovit.com

Zeolites
Think of these as porous man made rocks that absorb something, specifically reef toxins (I would say nitrate and phosphate but nobody knows for sure if these actually remove them or help bind them so your skimmer can easily remove them). Zeovit uses a mixture of different zeolites that have been found to best reduce toxins in a saltwater system. Exactly how they work has been much debated; from a theory of bacterial colonizing to locking-up or removing ammonia, to a transformation process of nutrients to a different ion. Sorry, I have no idea of how it works just that it does.

The zeolites are stored in a reactor, which looks a lot like a Calcium reactor without all the extra do-dads on it. It is a single chamber with a second chamber inside the first with a handle that protrudes out of the top. The Zeolites are placed in the second chamber and once a day the second chamber is ‘pumped’ to clean the zeolites of mulm (algae build up). This mulm is said to actually feed corals.

Zeolites are changed out at approximately every six to eight weeks (I have never had good results with zeolites lasting past eight weeks). I assume the exchange rate is based on the amount of nutrients you have in your system much like activated carbon.

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10354

Werbo
02-14-2013, 04:50 PM
I love it... "Nobody knows how it works it just does"

Doesn't that guy own Zeovit?

waynemah
02-14-2013, 04:53 PM
I replace my rocks once every couple of months, likely past due as far as the recommended schedule but I've also never noticed a difference after replacing them...

sphelps
02-14-2013, 05:01 PM
I love it... "Nobody knows how it works it just does"

Did you know the same thing can be said about an aerofoil?

Delphinus
02-14-2013, 05:22 PM
I don't think it's anything particularly mythical, they are basically a very porous substrate that yields a high surface-area-to-volume ratio which means it is an ideal growing ground for the bacteria, which if dosed alongside will colonize the substrate and aggressively scavenge the organics which would otherwise biodegrade into nitrates and phosphates.

It's essentially the same idea with biopellets except those are polymer based and dissolve slowly over time as they are themselves consumed by the very bacteria they host .. except since the zeolites are more mineral based, once they are clogged then the bacterial growth is limited. For aggressive nutrient reduction the bacteria has to be able to grow in population so therefore it does make sense to change out the rocks on the set schedule.

I just suck at sticking to my schedule because I have to completely lay the reactor on its side to get the pump chamber out of the reactor as it is literally shoehorned into my sump under my tank stand.

There was a horizontal reactor released to market about a year ago that I was really keen to try because it would be a HUGE improvement in ease of access for me but the cost is a bit prohibitive so I never quite connected to the idea.