PDA

View Full Version : Calcium, KH, Mg Out of whack

Kevotron
02-14-2013, 03:10 AM
my Ca is about 390
KH is high 13dkh
Mg is 1000ppm

I am running a calcium reactor at the moment and bubble count is around 1 per second, im scared to increase it to 2 bubble per second because of the high KH
what oh what should i do ???
:neutral:

FragIt Dan
02-14-2013, 04:35 AM
Dose a bunch of Mg and a bit of Ca to bring things back into balance, or do a water change or two. With your Mg that low is it safe to assume you haven't done a WC in a while? Are you using Mg media in your reactor?

Dan

whatcaneyedo
02-14-2013, 04:49 AM
A calcium reactor can only maintain your levels. You may have to adjust them periodically by adding liquid supplements like the two-part people do. Depending on your tank volume a few tsp of Calcium Chloride added over the course of a day or two will bring your calcium up to 420ppm or where ever you want it. Some Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate will do the same for the Magnesium. If you've been at this since 2009 I assume you are aware of the 'reef chemistry calculator' and articles by Randy? If not I or someone else can find you some links.

Bubbles of CO2 per second isn't a very reliable way of gauging what your calcium reactor is set to. A pH controller set to maintain the internal pH around 6.5-6.6 would make your life much easier because then all you would have worry about is how much flow passes through the reactor.

I've been using a calcium reactor for around 6 years and I find that I also have to manually boost the calcium and magnesium content of my water change water in order for my reactor to keep my aquarium's chemistry optimal. I mainly use Instant Ocean salt but rather than add calcium chloride to it I just add a small amount of a more expensive brand of salt with a higher calcium content. I also add some magnesium salts to my water change water because I find nearly all brands to be low in magnesium.

gregzz4
02-14-2013, 06:01 AM
I'd suggest you get your Mag inline first, then work on getting your Ca and Alk balanced

Once your mag is 1350-ish, you will have an easier time keeping your alk and ca balanced

mark
02-14-2013, 12:22 PM
agree with above, reactor great to maintain levels but need to get them there by dosing first. When doing water changes, supplement the mix if need before adding to tank. Start Mg first as will hold back the Ca as if low won't be able to hold the the Ca up (~3:1 ratio)

Found when running reactor if pushed it, alk would just spike.

StirCrazy
02-14-2013, 01:55 PM
the only one out of wack is the Mg, adjust that first then tune the others, you'll probably find you Ca comes up ager adjusting your Mg, but if not 390 is a perfect level for Ca.

you can raise levels with a Ca reactor also, but it depends on your media your using and how hard you can run the reactor with out your PH dropping in the tank.

Steve