PDA

View Full Version : power out

mat20040
02-13-2013, 03:57 AM
Just wondering how long would be safe to have no power on a 210 gallon reef before badness starts to happen?

spit.fire
02-13-2013, 04:04 AM
Just wondering how long would be safe to have no power on a 210 gallon reef before badness starts to happen?

I went 28hrs with just an mp40 running and all I lost was a snail although ive lost a giant blue ring angel after 8 hrs

All depends on the system

Madmak
02-13-2013, 04:06 AM
Water temperature is what changes the fastest and is what kills things first. 200 gallons will hold heat for quite a while if the house is still heated. If both don't have power you don't have too long. My guess would be some losses starting at 24 hours and getting worse from there.

If your there and can wrap blankets, add an air stone, etc you might have 48 hours before the badness begins.

Good question.

sphelps
02-13-2013, 04:44 AM
IME when it comes to fish it's low O2 that will kill first, temp unless you have a small tank shouldn't be an issue. Some sort of battery back up for a powerhead or air pump can make a huge difference.

jagermaier
02-13-2013, 05:08 AM
IME when it comes to fish it's low O2 that will kill first, temp unless you have a small tank shouldn't be an issue. Some sort of battery back up for a powerhead or air pump can make a huge difference.

Agree 100%, oxygen is the most important part of keeping your fish alive! Battery back up on power heads most important!

Madmak
02-13-2013, 06:12 AM
I stand corrected. I was thinking more along the lines of coral, which temp is usually the culprit. With fish, especially a heavily stocked tank, O2 is most crucial during a loss of power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD