PDA

View Full Version : Eco Tech frag glue

The Grizz
02-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Anyone know or seen where I can find some in Cagary?

SpikeJones
02-13-2013, 01:29 AM
big als? in edmonton has some so i wouldn't see why not in calgary

The Grizz
02-13-2013, 01:30 AM
Thanks Johan I will check there.

SpikeJones
02-13-2013, 01:32 AM
No problem man

Coralgurl
02-13-2013, 01:38 AM
WAIS carries it as well.

daplatapus
02-13-2013, 01:45 AM
Hey Grizz,
Have you ever heard of P210 adhesive?
I use it for wood working. It's basically a wood crazy glue. There's the glue which comes in several viscosities (I use the thick) and a spray activator that you can use to quicken the set time. For wood working the gel has a set time of 20 seconds or so but if you spray one face with the activator and put the gel on the other it sets in about 2-4 sec.

Anyway, I posted a link to the gel only to Randy Holmes-Farley and after looking into it gave me the green light to use it. It's basically cyanoacrylate. I've been using it for a year now with no issue's.
The nice thing is you can get it in fairly large bottles. I've got a 10 oz bottle.

Under water it sets in under 30 sec. I've never used the glue you're asking about so I don't know how well it adheres to wet surfaces, but with this stuff I do find I have to put a bit of a blob on the piece I need to glue, then when I stick it to the live rock or whatever I'm gluing it it to, I have to smear it around a bit to get it to grab the rock.

Anyway, it's another option in a bigger bottle if you're thinking of trying something. I get mine at a cabinet shop in Nanaimo, but you should be able to get it at any wood working shop.

Baldy
02-13-2013, 02:58 AM
Ive never used coral specific glue, but any thick cyanoacrylate glue would work. i just bought gel crazyglue for 3.99 for a tube at canadian tire. works very well.

unless there is another reason your using eco tech glue

The Grizz
02-13-2013, 03:05 AM
Hey Grizz,
Have you ever heard of P210 adhesive?
I use it for wood working. It's basically a wood crazy glue. There's the glue which comes in several viscosities (I use the thick) and a spray activator that you can use to quicken the set time. For wood working the gel has a set time of 20 seconds or so but if you spray one face with the activator and put the gel on the other it sets in about 2-4 sec.

Anyway, I posted a link to the gel only to Randy Holmes-Farley and after looking into it gave me the green light to use it. It's basically cyanoacrylate. I've been using it for a year now with no issue's.
The nice thing is you can get it in fairly large bottles. I've got a 10 oz bottle.

Under water it sets in under 30 sec. I've never used the glue you're asking about so I don't know how well it adheres to wet surfaces, but with this stuff I do find I have to put a bit of a blob on the piece I need to glue, then when I stick it to the live rock or whatever I'm gluing it it to, I have to smear it around a bit to get it to grab the rock.

Anyway, it's another option in a bigger bottle if you're thinking of trying something. I get mine at a cabinet shop in Nanaimo, but you should be able to get it at any wood working shop.

That's an interesting idea for sure to look into.

Ive never used coral specific glue, but any thick cyanoacrylate glue would work. i just bought gel crazyglue for 3.99 for a tube at canadian tire. works very well.

unless there is another reason your using eco tech glue

I have been using loc-tite gel super glue but I have gone threw 4 tubes of it in a week. I want something that has some volume & works under water

WAIS carries it as well.

Thank Sheena, last couple times that I have been there he was out of stock.

Coralgurl
02-13-2013, 03:10 AM
That's an interesting idea for sure to look into.

I have been using loc-tite gel super glue but I have gone threw 4 tubes of it in a week. I want something that has some volume & works under water

Thank Sheena, last couple times that I have been there he was out of stock.

I have not been in a fish store since the beginning of December, a bit out of touch I guess:redface:

Baldy
02-13-2013, 03:14 AM

Are you using the ones in the crappy plastic grey and blue applicators? i tried a couple of those and you can squeeze all day and only get half the tube out. ive pulled the tube out from inside of them and it was only half gone. you pay 3$ for ****ty packaging. i didnt have any trouble with it underwater though.

if you want to try something in volumes, go to a hobby store that sells rc airplane building supplies and buy a bottle of thick CA glue. should be able to get a decent sized bottle for about 10-15$

daplatapus
02-13-2013, 03:15 AM
This is what the bottle looks like:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-02-12202118_zps834fe046.jpg

The Grizz
02-13-2013, 03:23 AM
Are you using the ones in the crappy plastic grey and blue applicators? i tried a couple of those and you can squeeze all day and only get half the tube out. ive pulled the tube out from inside of them and it was only half gone. you pay 3$ for ****ty packaging. i didnt have any trouble with it underwater though.

if you want to try something in volumes, go to a hobby store that sells rc airplane building supplies and buy a bottle of thick CA glue. should be able to get a decent sized bottle for about 10-15$

Ya I have cut the tube / bottles open but hardly any left inside. Never think of the hobby shops, good ider.

This is what the bottle looks like

I'm sure they would carry that at Windsor Plywood as well.

Edit: had to remove the pic cause that drives me nuts when someone else quotes a pic :lol:

Evilweevil
02-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Hi grizz yes it is definitely at Windsor plywood

The Grizz
02-13-2013, 05:28 AM
Hi grizz yes it is definitely at Windsor plywood

Sweet thanks man, BTW what was the mane of that material that is similar to melamine but only better?

Evilweevil
02-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Medex they have that at Windsor also it looks just like mdf but its made to me water resistant

rzadun
02-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Can 2P-10 be used to glue live rock together underwater or coral frags or will it kill stuff.

lastlight
02-13-2013, 04:42 PM
If you can't find a sponsor carrying it and you're in a bind I saw some at Pisces.

kien
02-13-2013, 05:30 PM
I was at Wai's over lunch yesterday and saw a rack full of Coral Glue.

Wouldn't it be easier to just run to walmart and pick up some loctite superglue gel though?

http://www.rapidonline.com/catalogueimages/module/M080245P01WL.jpg

The Grizz
02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
It would be but that's what I was using, it doesn't last long when you have 100 frag to glue down and half that much to mount on plugs.

Stay clear..... This Bear bits off limbs!!

kien
02-13-2013, 05:58 PM
It would be but that's what I was using, it doesn't last long when you have 100 frag to glue down and half that much to mount on plugs.

wow, ya, that's a lot of frags dawg!

.. i mean bear!

Ross
02-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Most dollar stores carry gel glue. Works well for me. and at $1 for 3-5 ml your not buying $50 worth of glue that hardens before you get to it.

I've used Extra thick Glue from the Hobby shops before, but its still too thin to build up a decent size glob that can then be taken under water.

Ecotech glue is suppose to be the cats ass though.

Concept stocks it.

lastlight
02-13-2013, 07:29 PM
it's definitely the best glue i've used as well. but if you glue-epoxy-glue combo anything you glue down it doesn't seem to matter.

Baldy
02-13-2013, 07:57 PM
I was at Wai's over lunch yesterday and saw a rack full of Coral Glue.

Wouldn't it be easier to just run to walmart and pick up some loctite superglue gel though?

http://www.rapidonline.com/catalogueimages/module/M080245P01WL.jpg

if you buy these bottles, your paying too much. You can get the same quantity as this out of the fancy packaging for 2.50-3.00$ less and the plastic container only allows you to squeeze half as much out. They're terrible.

lastlight
02-13-2013, 08:14 PM
whenever i've bought the loctite bottles i always crack the outer casing off and inside is an easy-to-squeeze foil tube. you can use all of the glue in this way.

tim the toolman
02-13-2013, 11:02 PM
I had a large birdsnest colony that had been bumped free from its current place in my tank so I grabbed my tube of ecotech glue. I have only had it for about 4 months or so. I turned the tube pride down to glob some on the base of the colony and a bunch of runny liquid came purging out over the colony. Seems that the glue had serrated or something like it. Anyways the spots on the colony that the liquid ran over are now losing all their tissue and I am starting to fear the worst. This just happened today, and I am wondering if any ecotech glue users have had this happen before? Sorry if this is off topic, just thought I would share. I have always used dollar store gel superglue before this and I will continue to do so from here on out.

That is all.

The Grizz
02-14-2013, 03:13 AM
wow, ya, that's a lot of frags dawg!

.. i mean bear!

Just a few, there all zoa frags to boot mostly in my nano. :biggrin:

daplatapus
02-14-2013, 04:13 AM
The 2P10 adhesive is has been totally safe for my use so far. I've glued dozens of frags by drying the bottom of the frag plug by dabbing it with a towel, adding enough of the gel to create a nice thick blob and down into the water it goes, smear it around a bit on the live rock and hold still for a count to 20 or 30 and voila!
No skimmer issues, nothing ever has reacted negatively to it. I've even had a hermit crab go exploring a new frag not 1 min after I let it go and it never got bothered by the glue.
The bottle I have is "thick" but I believe there's one even thicker than this. I've had this particular bottle over a year and it's still as good as the day I got it. The only thing you have to watch is the tip. But it comes with 6 replaceable tips and the main drip tube is probably close to 4" so you can cut it down if it plugs at the tip. But if you wipe any drip-age off there's no issue.
Yes, if you get this stuff on live tissue, that part wil die, it is cyanoacrylate, pretty strong stuff. But like I said this is not very runny, but if it's too runny for you, try the "extra thick".
Someone earlier asked if you can glue live rock together. Little chunks, maybe. But I certainly wouldn't be trying to make a bommie or bonsai formations with 20 lbs pieces of live rock with it :)
FYI, it's made by Fastcap
http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=12826&idcategory=6

Sorry I don't know who the Canadian distributors are.

madchild
02-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Coral Glue is probably one of the best bang for your buck too. Even at bigger LFS like Pisces and Big Als', the 75g bottle is $30

You're paying about $.40/gram for a very good product, and is cheaper than buying the little 3 gram tubes of loctite or krazy for $3

Evilweevil
02-14-2013, 05:06 PM
If 2p10 is safe then it's the best bang for you buck at 50$ for 283 grams if you are using that much plus if you put it in the fridge or somewhere cool it lasts a long time like over a year

The Grizz
02-14-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm going to try out the 2p10 stuff as I can get it local and it's a much better value cost per gram wise.

madchild
02-14-2013, 05:25 PM
2P10 should be safe, its cyanoacrylate

Here's the MSDS: http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/catalog/docs/msds-2P-10-adhesives-2011.pdf

It also comes in Gel form. Im going to swing by Windsor Plywood and see if they carry the GEL version.

The Grizz
02-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Windsor plywood carrys it, I just called the red deer store. Your looking for the thick formula.

Baldy
02-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Grizz,

Definitely report back after you give it a shot. I dont have as many frags as you but it would be good to hear how it works.

rzadun
02-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Hey greg. Did you try the 2P-10 yet. I would like to try it but am wondering how well it works underwater. I want to glue frags directly to some large rocks without moving the rocks.

The Grizz
02-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Hey greg. Did you try the 2P-10 yet. I would like to try it but am wondering how well it works underwater. I want to glue frags directly to some large rocks without moving the rocks.

Hey Bob, yes I did try it on a couple little frags that where constantly falling off the rocks last night and I can say that they are still solid in place this morning.

Stay clear..... This Bear bite's off limbs!!

Pan
02-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Hey Bob, yes I did try it on a couple little frags that where constantly falling off the rocks last night and I can say that they are still solid in place this morning.

How much was the stuff?

The Grizz
02-15-2013, 05:32 PM
I bought a 2.5 oz bottle for $17 but I think it will go a long way for frags and can be used on so many other things around the house too.

daplatapus
02-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Grizz,

Definitely report back after you give it a shot. I dont have as many frags as you but it would be good to hear how it works.

Not to seem petty (I'm having a really lousy day) but given the responses I've posted and the fact that I was the one who originally told everyone about this product, I'm not sure if I should be offended or not. :(

The Grizz
02-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Not to seem petty (I'm having a really lousy day) but given the responses I've posted and the fact that I was the one who originally told everyone about this product, I'm not sure if I should be offended or not. :(

Dont be offended dude!! Your the main reason I went and bought some to try out and that should be all that matters. :biggrin:

I have noticed that not everyone reads every single post in a thread :noidea:

Baldy
02-15-2013, 10:31 PM

There was no offense intended. I forgot about your original post suggesting it. The more opinions the better anyways. how does it work for submerging the bottle? theres lots of rock that i cant pull out of my tank and i apply the glue in the water, can you easily do that with this glue?

rzadun
02-16-2013, 08:05 AM
Can it be done without pu;;ing the rocks and frags out of the water?

Chief Hill
02-16-2013, 01:08 PM
I always use the thick or gel type Ca glue. Ca glues all have the same active ingredient. Buying one that says it's made specifically for corals is a joke and a waste of money. Because they charge a ridiculous amount of money for the exact same thing you can buy at the doller store.
Just make sure you buy thick or gel ca glue. Don't waste the money because it says Eco Tech. It's no better than any cheap glue.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

The Grizz
02-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Can it be done without pu;;ing the rocks and frags out of the water?

One or the other has to come out Bob. I pull out the frag, dry off the bottom, put some glue on it, let it set a bit & then place back on rock.

Mandosh
02-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Buying one that says it's made specifically for corals is a joke and a waste of money. Because they charge a ridiculous amount of money for the exact same thing you can buy at the doller store.
Just make sure you buy thick or gel ca glue. Don't waste the money because it says Eco Tech. It's no better than any cheap glue.

Around here, Dollar Store glue is $1 for 3mL (0.33/mL) and loctite/lepage is $6-$7 (1.6/mL) for 4mL. Ecotech is $22 for 75mL (0.29/mL) or $55 for 295mL (0.19/mL). So who charges more for the exact same thing?

I'm not sure about hobby store glue.

Chief Hill
02-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Around here, Dollar Store glue is $1 for 3mL (0.33/mL) and loctite/lepage is $6-$7 (1.6/mL) for 4mL. Ecotech is $22 for 75mL (0.29/mL) or $55 for 295mL (0.19/mL). So who charges more for the exact same thing?

I'm not sure about hobby store glue.

Hobby store glue is great. I get 2 oz bottles for 8 bucks.
2oz lasts a very long time.
I do use these as well.
http://www.penblanks.ca/CA-Instant-Adhesive-8-oz/
Hard to beat these prices. 250 ml for 20 bucks.