PDA

View Full Version : Led light issues.

AdamsB
02-12-2013, 10:21 PM
So I posted on another forum that my evergrow it2080 came last week, but I thought if post here also on a more reef specific forum. Since then I've got my rock, sand etc in and finally the waters cleared enough that I can test the unit out properly. And I'm a little disappointed. My rock is white (key largo dry rock) an my background I black. If my light is on even just 1% on the colour channel it causes a hologram or 3d without the glasses kind of effect on the edge of all my rock and even where the substrate ends and the background starts. I don't know how else to describe it and can't take a picture so it's not very good to ask advice on I know. I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen or heard I this issue. Also I'm not find of the green or red and the guy I bought it from ha offered to switch them out free of charge which is fantastic. But with the Chinese New Year it'll be a while before he can order bulbs.

I'm also at a loss as to which bulbs to change out to eliminate this unwanted effect. My colours are as follows.

channel 1; 16 7500k cool whites, 8 3500k warm whites, 4 480nm blues, 4 520nm greens, 4 450nm royal blues, 4 660nm reds, and 8 410-420nm violets. Channel 2; 48 450nm royal blue.
Channel 3; 3 480nm blue moonlights, for a total of 99 3 watt LEDs.

I was expecting all the colours to blend a lot better than they have, I'm certainly seeing that disco ball effect. I'm running 90 degree lenses also.

fixerupper
02-12-2013, 11:47 PM
I have this effect on my IT2040 as well. It's only really pronounced closer to the surface. The "3D glasses effect" is a great way to describe it:smile:. The IT2040 has only 2 red and 2 green which seems more than enough. As a quick test I stuck on pieces of masking tape on the splash shield under those leds and it solves the issue but looks tacky and the coral colours looked a bit less vibrant. I'm going to try to remove the 90 degree optics from all the red/green to see if it blends better. Have you tried that yet?

AdamsB
02-13-2013, 12:02 AM
I have tried removing the lenses, it reduced the colour spotting but as you would guess it spills green an red into the room so I ended up puttin them back on. It also means breaking the seal on the screw (it has a sticker) which may void the warranty. Whoops. I'm thinking of just switching out the red and blue for more 7500k or even 10000k. I'd like more of a halide look. It bothers me that I can see the individual colours in the tank. I don't know if the 3500k would bother me when mixed with the extra whites.

As far as the blurry 3d effect I spoke of, I believe it may be just glass distortion. I've never had a tank this large so I'm not use to being able to see through such a large surface area and I believe this I the issue. If I look at the rock in my 20 gallon from the very corner of my tank I get the same issue.

nrosdal
02-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Having seen quite a few of these lights in quite a few different color combinations i think there are a few ways to help. Mostly it is finding a middle ground where you find the color pleasing still but have little to none of the blurred effect you are describing.

Like fixerupper said, i agree there is a hint of it and i would blame the red LEDs. But on the lights that also have the warm whites included. I think that they exaggerate the effect even more then with the reds alone.

So you could try covering the reds and 1 warm white at a time until you are happy. Or just start with the warm whites and see how it is with all of them covered and the reds still going. But remember that if you are replacing the lights with cool whites you may want to stop while you can still see a bit of the effect happening because the cool whites are quite strong and you might go from too much color to being a bit washed out if you are not careful.

Or since you are quite close to the guy that sells these, i am sure that he would happily change them a few at a time and then let you try so that you can make adjustments along the way. :) Or If you just wanted play with putting some 120 degree leds to see if colors get spread out more he could drop some off for you next week (but that would also increase the light spill from the fixture and i am not sure that is what you would want).

ScubaSteve
02-13-2013, 01:14 AM
The problem you are describing is called colour separation and is due to the distance between the different colour emitters. Since the emitters (LEDs) of different colours are shining on the rocks at different angles, you end up with multicolour shadows and thus the rainbow effect. This is a fundamental design flaw that you can't do a whole ton about. Taking the lenses off makes the light less focused, which blurs the different colour shadows together a bit but there is another solution you can try. Look for a transparent, light diffusing film (slightly more transparent than a frosted film). This will help blend the colours together and give you a 'flat' light look like what T5s give. This will cut down on the output a bit, but you can turn the LEDs brighter to compensate.

daplatapus
02-13-2013, 01:20 AM
The problem you are describing is called colour separation and is due to the distance between the different colour emitters. Since the emitters (LEDs) of different colours are shining on the rocks at different angles, you end up with multicolour shadows and thus the rainbow effect. This is a fundamental design flaw that you can't do a whole ton about. Taking the lenses off makes the light less focused, which blurs the different colour shadows together a bit but there is another solution you can try. Look for a transparent, light diffusing film (slightly more transparent than a frosted film). This will help blend the colours together and give you a 'flat' light look like what T5s give. This will cut down on the output a bit, but you can turn the LEDs brighter to compensate.

+1 ^^^^^^

This is why you'll see the high end fixtures (Mitra's etc) and good DIY fixtures with really closely laid out LED's in clusters rather than an evenly spread layout.

Mike-fish
02-13-2013, 01:24 AM
as to the light diffusing film scuba Steve mentioned you can get it at a theater lighting supply place. its sold as a light diffuser gel

AdamsB
02-13-2013, 03:53 AM
I have a glass lid on the tank and I have noticed when there is condensation the light blends a lot better. Still not perfect, but better. If there is no condensation the light seems to actually focus more and I get spotting. Ill look into the diffuser route, that sounds like a perfect option. Which stores sell them? Sorry I'm not from canada and I have zero idea where to get it :)

Mike-fish
02-13-2013, 04:30 AM
I deal with axe music in Edmonton they sell online too so that may work. Another place you could try is production lighting. There are several online stores that you can get it from as well

nrosdal
02-13-2013, 04:30 AM
have you tried taking the glass top off to see if that is magnifying it?

when trying a light with exact layout i did notice the effect you speak of a bit but did not see the color separation at all (i did have it raised up about 7-8" off tank so that might be the difference).

Just to be safe i would see how it looks with no glass top to make sure that is not what is making the problem for you.

AdamsB
02-13-2013, 05:33 AM
Without the glass top I get way more shimmer but also more colour separation. With the glass lid as long as there's condensation fogging it up the light blends more but is still noticeably separating. The light is at 8 inches above the glass so about 9.5 inches above the water line. I've tried covering the red an green which eliminates those colours from appearing but the 3d kind of look remains. Without any proper comparison it's hard to know what the problem is. But right now I'm more happy with the look from my 24 inch 2 bulb t5 unit (pictured)

AdamsB
02-14-2013, 12:49 AM
So trying to find diffusion film online I stumble across this forum topic. I've ordered the same stuff he used. Coming from the states so I should have an update some time next week. Thanks everyone who commented :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/296282-great-diffusion-material-tested-only-5-light-loss-through-water/