PDA

View Full Version : New goby at live aquaria. Order

DOO-E
05-19-2004, 07:56 PM
I found this goby on live aquaria and i was wondering if anybody wanted to go in on a order with me. I want to get a few fish so if you need anything tell me what you want. Local only. Unless you are willing to drive to get your fish or to pay for shipping. If shipped a second time no gaurenteed live delivery. Will deliver to Lethbridge, Barnwell, and coldale. http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1727&cc=1

Delphinus
05-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Have you looked into what it's going to take to bring that over the border? Another thing to check is if liveaquariua.com will consider shipping to Canada. You might want to drop them a line and ask if you haven't already done so.

christyf5
05-19-2004, 08:42 PM
As far as I know, those guys don't ship anything to Canada, even drygoods. I had to have some stuff sent to me via a friend in Oregon. :confused:

Christy :)

PS. Just found this on their site We cannot ship any aquarium life to Hawaii, APO addresses, Post Office Boxes, Puerto Rico, other U.S. Territories, or other countries.

Quinn
05-19-2004, 10:38 PM
If we could get livestock from the US easily, we'd all be in heaven.

DOO-E
05-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Ur partly right Teevee if we could get stuff from the states and our dollar value is equal we would be in heaven

Quinn
05-19-2004, 11:11 PM
:lol:

Quagmire
05-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Ur partly right Teevee if we could get stuff from the states and our dollar value is equal we would be in heaven

Another couple years and our dollar will be par to USD,then all we need is a fish smuggler.

Samw
05-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Another couple years and our dollar will be par to USD,then all we need is a fish smuggler.

No need to smuggle fish unless you are trying to save on taxes. Just declare it and bring it across.

Quagmire
05-20-2004, 12:21 AM

No need to smuggle fish unless you are trying to save on taxes. Just declare it and bring it across.

I've never tried to bring anything live across the border.I thought being that its live it would be a PITA ,but if its that easy I may have to make a trip south. Maybe bring some Chaeto up here to. :biggrin:

Delphinus
05-20-2004, 12:28 AM
As long as you can prove it's not listed on CITES you're OK (if you're carrying it yourself). Having stuff shipped to you is quite another matter, however.

DOO-E
05-20-2004, 03:26 AM
I will be a fish smuggler all i need is a side kick any offers. No pay but you get first dibs on fish

Canadian Man
05-20-2004, 03:56 AM
I will be a fish smuggler all i need is a side kick any offers. No pay but you get first dibs on fish

:rolleyes: :neutral:

dirtyreefer
05-20-2004, 04:13 AM
If we could purchase from US sites, I'd be all over The Marine Center's selection, they've got some cool stuff

Quagmire
05-20-2004, 04:27 AM

Hey Doo-e, I was only kidding Its not worth the risk :eek:

Quinn
05-20-2004, 04:44 AM
Unfortunately there aren't a lot of opportunities for getting nice fish in Montana... the Seattle/Vancouver crossing would be better but everything comes into LAX in the beginning anyways so you may as well become a dealer, build up a relationship with the wholesalers in LA, and have the stuff shipped right to you.

DOO-E
05-20-2004, 01:41 PM
I dont think that the border gaurds would care much if you were bringing 4 or 5 bags accross it when you are brining like 10 or 20 accross. Besides where i am at ther is really no border. Our border line is a road that goes between a corn field and a wheat field.

Delphinus
05-20-2004, 03:43 PM
First of all, Teevee's right, you're not going to find ANYthing within a reasonable drive of where you are.

Second of all, when I first posted, I tried to politely suggest to you that you need to do some more homework before you embark on a fool's errand.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I don't really enjoy reading about suggestions of smuggling. This board does not condone breaking the law. Violation of CITES is a major criminal offense, it doesn't matter if it's one bag or a thousand bags. Don't assume the border guards "don't know" ... they know exactly the score. You have something suspicious, they seize the package. Guess what happens to your livestock then? And that's not even the worst-case scenario. If you're found guilty of a CITES violation, it's a several thousand dollar fine, up to 15 years in prison. That's why most, if not all, U.S. retailers will simply not deal with out of country orders. Unless you're a wholesaler, but then you're dealing with orders in the thousands of dollars, which makes going through the hoops and the paperwork worthwhile. Which brings me to one closing point: there are Canadian retailers, and most of them will work with you if you're looking for something specific. They go through all this work to import this stuff, why not support them instead.

Samw
05-20-2004, 04:32 PM
More info from previous threads

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3121

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5605

For most fish, like the mentiond goby, you just declare it and bring it across.

Delphinus
05-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Well, yeah, carrying a non-CITES fish is not smuggling per se, but the bottom line is, by the time you've gone out of your way to get what you want, have you really saved yourself anything? Most retailers (J&L, AI, Big Al's, etc.) will try to look for what you'd like if you ask them nicely.

But the suggestion of smuggling in general, even if it's a joke, is not something to be encouraged. Don't break the law: do so at your own (and your livestock's) peril.

DOO-E
05-20-2004, 07:35 PM
Acutually there is no need to freak out. I have gone to the states many of times and brought fish back. I have told the toll gaurds that i have had live ordemental fish in the vehicle. I have showed them the fish and the reciepts and they have let me across. All they have said to me is to not bring the fish back to america.

Delphinus
05-20-2004, 09:57 PM
Good for you. My point is you made comments regarding smuggling ... even if you meant it as a joke I'm not certain that's very appropriate.

DBM
05-20-2004, 11:33 PM
If you're in Alberta and want that goby call Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton. He can get you one, it may be a bit of a wait but they're the only ones in Alberta that has access to these as far as I know. Another cool fish that's similar in size that you might be interested in would be a Trimma sp.

DOO-E
05-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Well i was planning on getting 2 Eviota's 2 blue neons and 2 of them gold neons.