PDA

View Full Version : New tank idea...opinions?

Son Of Skyline
05-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Now that the 120gal sps is going, I've decided to keep my rose and keep a "rose only" nano. Here's my idea...

10 gal tank
175w 10k MH lighting
Roughly 5lbs LR
2" aragonite sand
No sump
No skimmer
1 rbta
xenia
2 small clarkiis or ocellaris (I have 2 clarkiis and 1 ocellaris currently)
5-6 astrea snails
Aquaclear 150 for circulation

Does this simple setup sound feasible for the rbta? This is going to be a first for me. Will there be any alk/ca demands? I don't want to have to keep dosing a 2part to maintain it. Think I can get away with just topoff and a bi-weekly 2 gal water change? I won't be feeding heavily. I'm thinking one small fish feeding every day or every 2 days, and feeding the rose once a week for now.

Opinions? Thanks in advance!

DOO-E
05-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Well the ten gallon is a bit too small for the clarkii's i have mine in a 40 gallon and are getting rid of them because the tank is too small. I would go with the ocellaris or the percula clowns even a a pair of pink skunk clownfish.

Son Of Skyline
05-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Well the ten gallon is a bit too small for the clarkii's i have mine in a 40 gallon and are getting rid of them because the tank is too small. I would go with the ocellaris or the percula clowns even a a pair of pink skunk clownfish.

Well the clarkiis right now are quite small (Wendell's babies). Within 3-6 months I'll probably go back to my old 27gal as well. I love my clarkiis and I don't want to give them up. They're my babies now :cool:

I see what you're saying though. It's too bad I got rid of my 20gal tanks not too long ago. Otherwise I'd set one up instead of the 10gal.

Thanks!

Son Of Skyline
05-19-2004, 08:00 PM

Actually now that I think of it, even if my clarkiis were happy in the 10gal, I'd imagine that they're going to grow pretty fast. Hmm...what to do...

Samw
05-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Go with a 20G. Use the money from the sale of your old equipment and buy a new or used 20 Long.

trilinearmipmap
05-19-2004, 08:10 PM
...and then use the 10g as a behind-the-tank refugium, elevated a few inches above the main tank, draining back into the main tank and sharing the same light source, cheap refugium/upside-down sump/nutrient export.

DOO-E
05-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Jst to let people know that i do have clarks for sale hin hint son of skyline. Clarks have quircks ur male female may turn into a female femal and you will have to get rid of 1 but if u rasie 3 or 4 and u get 2 females they may share a male. I will let both go on trade for 2 baby pink skunks or 30 dollars / pair

StirCrazy
05-19-2004, 11:46 PM
I would go with a 25 gal, same footprint as a 20 but taller. nice for aranging rock and such. also will give you a bit more water to adsorb the heat from that MH.

Steve

Son Of Skyline
05-20-2004, 03:10 AM
Hmm....I do have my old 27gal (30" wide). Problem is my LR is already spoken for so I'd be short on rock. I guess I should have thought about this beforehand...doh!

What about water quality maintenance though? I'm particularly interested in knowing how demanding a setup like this will be for ca/alk.

LostMind
05-20-2004, 03:14 AM
Just an anemone and fish? I cant see how water changes wouldnt keep up with that...