PDA

View Full Version : ID Please - Friend or Foe?

ChefFish
02-11-2013, 11:37 PM
I have this green zoa type thing growing in the middle of a colony of zoas. does anybody know what it is? Kinda looks like a short green paly. If its bad can I just cut it out? and sorry for the ****ty iphone pics.

gregzz4
02-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Looks like the palys I fragged out of my watermelons
Mine were getting too big and shading the zoas, so they went on their own rock

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/DSC01518.jpg

Madmak
02-11-2013, 11:47 PM
That looks like Aptasia, join the club. It's one of our most common enemies.

It could be a lone Pally but I doubt it.

paddyob
02-12-2013, 12:05 AM
It's not aptasia. For one, aptasia is brown. Not green.

Definitely looks like some sort of polyp/paly got in the middle of your frag. Common for frags to touch in the LFS and possible it attached there.

I had some from red coral that had a stray polyp. Too bad it killed the polyps I bought. And spread like dandelions.

paddyob
02-12-2013, 12:07 AM
That looks like Aptasia, join the club. It's one of our most common enemies.

It could be a lone Pally but I doubt it.

Really looks like a paly.

The Grizz
02-12-2013, 12:08 AM
There just a common green Paly Chris.

Madmak
02-12-2013, 12:18 AM
It's not aptasia. For one, aptasia is brown. Not green.

Google Aptasia images and you'll see many different colors and shapes. Green, pink, and brown seem to be the most common colors. Others are even very patterned. Some have short tentacles while others are quite long.

My bet is that is an Aptasia that is semi-retracted because its surrounded by zoanthids.

Polyp, Pally, or Aptasia, I would zap it ASAP.

Reef Puffer
02-12-2013, 12:23 AM
looks like a little majano. i have them in my gsp. glow green under actinic lights. they look cool but sting as far as i can tell. no gsp opens there. and the "majanos" move every once and a while.

Reef Puffer
02-12-2013, 12:28 AM
this is mine. like i said, glows SUPER green. but they move and breed! i say majano?

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh616/reefpuffer/2013-02-11_17-33-05_238_zpsf404e125.jpg

The Grizz
02-12-2013, 12:38 AM
Google green palythoa people, thats what they are.

Reef Puffer
02-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Google green palythoa people, that what they are.
are mine the same? they move around? maybe mine are just different then? they sure look the same.

The Grizz
02-12-2013, 12:47 AM
are mine the same? they move around? maybe mine are just different then? they sure look the same.

Cant be the same if they actually move around, the geen paly's will spring up everywhere if you let them but if yours are moving it would be a majano.

paddyob
02-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Google Aptasia images and you'll see many different colors and shapes. Green, pink, and brown seem to be the most common colors. Others are even very patterned. Some have short tentacles while others are quite long.

My bet is that is an Aptasia that is semi-retracted because its surrounded by zoanthids.

Polyp, Pally, or Aptasia, I would zap it ASAP.

It's not aptasia. And if anyone has pics of their aptasia that are pink or green, I Would love to see it. Brown is what you see first hand In tanks 99% of the time. The 1% I have made up as after doing tank maintenance I have never seen anything but brown so the possibility had to be rare.

Things on google are often photoshopped. Like the corals people buy online then are surprised its different once it arrived.

No offense meant, but it's not aptasia. It definitely is a paly of some sort. If you look at the oral disc it is very obvious.

paddyob
02-12-2013, 01:05 AM

Move around? Are you certain ?? Do you have lots?

Grizz majano ? I still think you are spot on with the palys. I had a colony that looked like them.

Does majano not have more rounded ends on the skirt?

The Grizz
02-12-2013, 01:14 AM

Grizz majano ? I still think you are spot on with the palys. I had a colony that looked like them.

Does majano not have more rounded ends on the skirt?

I was referring to Reef Puffers question about the movement of a majano, as they are pest anemones they most curtainly can move. I had a few some time ago & before I could zap the little pest they moved. Did get them though as soon as I found them again though, love my zapper :biggrin:

paddyob
02-12-2013, 01:17 AM
I was referring to Reef Puffers question about the movement of a majano, as they are pest anemones they most curtainly can move. I had a few some time ago & before I could zap the little pest they moved. Did get them though as soon as I found them again though, love my zapper :biggrin:

Zapper? Pm me Grizz. Interested in knowing more. I am tired of aptasia x. Worst product I ever bought. Has not killed a single aptasia.

The Grizz
02-12-2013, 01:28 AM
Zapper? Pm me Grizz. Interested in knowing more. I am tired of aptasia x. Worst product I ever bought. Has not killed a single aptasia.

In coming PM Patrick :biggrin:

Madmak
02-12-2013, 01:28 AM
The OP is the only one who can see it clear enough to tell.

I'll be wrong, you can be right.

albert_dao
02-12-2013, 03:20 AM
You guys are all wrong.

It's an exalted neon dragon breath gobstopper and it's probably worth $75/molecule. I'd frag and cultivate ASAP.

*But on a more serious note, it's probably just a solitary protopaly. They sting weaksauce corals like zoas, eat food out of the water column and can SLOWLY reproduce... Kill it if you must, just make sure you don't... you know, kill yourself doing it.

Reef Puffer
02-12-2013, 04:04 AM

I have like 5 hiding in the gsp. I ended up with a couple more on the glass yhat wondered for a bit untill I nuked them. I still find them hiding in the gsp. I thought pally also untill I found the wondering. I assumed majanos were alot larger? The few I do have left dont seem to be moving anymore? The only way I see them is because the gsp doesnt open about an inch around them. Maybe th op is lucky and they are just a pally? Anyone interested can have mine tho.

ChefFish
02-13-2013, 04:25 AM
thanx everyone. gonna cut the little bugger out

spit.fire
02-13-2013, 06:27 AM
I have one in my tank, I just left it. It's like playing where's Waldo trying to find it again