PDA

View Full Version : ugf on sw

mpishi
05-19-2004, 03:38 AM
i would like to be pointed in the right direction for info on a under gravel filter in a reef system

tia

Quinn
05-19-2004, 03:45 AM
My understanding is that UGFs are a thing of the past. I'm interested in why you would want to use one in a reef, given the other, superior filtration methods now available?

mpishi
05-19-2004, 04:01 AM
supplemental filtration, more is better idea, whole tank should be performing some useful function, etc etc

actually playing with idea for relatively calm tank for pipefish and the like

Quinn
05-19-2004, 04:13 AM
I would think the downsides would outweight the benefits. :neutral:

EmilyB
05-19-2004, 05:14 AM
The UGF is a controversial method, not unlike many of the other aspects of SW aquarium keeping.

I might actually consider using one when I change over my FOWLR, since I will not be using sand.

There are a lot of good articles out there, here is one. And it may surprise you to know some of the excellent reefkeepers around that have used them.

http://archimedes.galilei.com/raiar/lifttube.html

robert
05-19-2004, 07:11 AM
And how about this modified version:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=289910&highlight=berlin+and+system

DOO-E
05-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Iwould se a canister filter those work way better. You can get them now with UV serolizers in them. The biomass in them babies are way more than an undergravel filter.

Skimmerking
05-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Noow that is some awesome reading i do admit
i think i will be trying that out on my next tank...

mike

AJ_77
05-19-2004, 04:48 PM
On that first linked article, I must be missing how "capped UGF plates" are a huge benefit. Is he explaining that very well, or is it something you have to see? And wouldn't a large substrate (such as he recommends for a UGF) under your base rock/LR work to prevent anaerobic zones, even if used withOUT a UGF in place? I mean, it's got to work better than oolitic sand in that case...

And the cleaning aspect - major PITA, or what? How does his plunging the lift tubes clean underneath the plates enough? Good gravy, the guy could work for Dr Ron, with all his theorizing...

:confused:

StirCrazy
05-19-2004, 10:37 PM
i would like to be pointed in the right direction for info on a under gravel filter in a reef system

tia

first you better figure out if the work to clean it warrants its use. they are cheep but the benefits of using them are small when compared to the proper maintenance and the work that has to be done to clean them every so often. I think if one is determined to use on I would recommend that you set it up for a reverse flow where the water is sucked from the tank and pushed under the rocks instead of the normal sucking from under the rocks.

Steve

Quinn
05-19-2004, 10:41 PM
And the cleaning aspect - major PITA, or what?

first you better figure out if the work to clean it warrants its use. they are cheep but the benefits of using them are small when compared to the proper maintenance and the work that has to be done to clean them every so often.

My thoughts exactly. I think it's the absence of UGFs that having made marine aquaria so accessible in the last few years.

EmilyB
05-20-2004, 12:34 AM

tia

first you better figure out if the work to clean it warrants its use. they are cheep but the benefits of using them are small when compared to the proper maintenance and the work that has to be done to clean them every so often. I think if one is determined to use on I would recommend that you set it up for a reverse flow where the water is sucked from the tank and pushed under the rocks instead of the normal sucking from under the rocks.

Steve

Yah, I'd still be having a sump and wonder if the return could somehow accomplish this. It would still accomodate the digging trigger, yet he wouldn't be stirring up so much crap. What do you figure?

StirCrazy
05-20-2004, 04:40 AM
hmm if you use a big enuf UGF you could put your return into it. personaly I would go bare bottom so the bugger can't dig :mrgreen:

Steve

EmilyB
05-20-2004, 06:09 AM
hmm if you use a big enuf UGF you could put your return into it. personaly I would go bare bottom so the bugger can't dig :mrgreen:

Steve

yah I think bare bottom is a good idea