PDA

View Full Version : sweet deal on 400W 65ook iwasaki bulbs

smokinreefer
08-07-2002, 07:49 PM
here you go.
sweet deal (http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17178)
if you guys are interested, lets start a list, we can get them all sent to the same place and maybe save some more coins on the shipping.
am i thrifty or what?! :rolleyes:

pocilipora
08-07-2002, 08:03 PM
Im in for 1 for sure, maybe 2.

AquariumPros.ca
08-07-2002, 08:10 PM
Just be careful with your estimated costs - as when you import them you will be charged Brokerage fees + GST + Shipping + Duty!!

This can add up very fast. As with anything ordered from the states - whatever the price is listed in USD - times it by 2 and that will be about what you pay.

This means that the bulbs will be about $100 each - and most of the Canadian Mail-Order places sell them for that already!

We sell them currently for $99.00 each
J&L sells them for $98.00 each...

Just be careful you don't get ripped off!

Cheers,

EmilyB
08-07-2002, 08:23 PM
Oh yes. Please do be careful.

My bulbs arrived at the door with a $140 UPS charge ($300 US worth of bulbs). (A recent transaction, not this particular offer). To complicate matters, I had to do a return. This is a nightmare if you are getting replacement product, as the return should be duty free, (since you paid once already) and if you fail to have done everything correctly, customs basically ships it back down south again. Or calls you and reams you out for twenty minutes, if you are luckier. All at your expense.

I'm still waiting for that delightful part this time.

smokinreefer
08-07-2002, 11:01 PM
i'll try to get a quote with shipping and duties included...then we can look into this further.

stephane
08-08-2002, 01:25 AM
email me I could have you good price on those

Bryan
08-08-2002, 02:46 AM
UPS has got to be the biggest rip off around. How they can justify gouging customers with these exhorbiant brokerage fees infuriates me.

Wasn't free trade supposed to make the trade of goods across the border more effective and cheaper.

Unfortunately I have noticed over the years many U.S. companies will refuse to ship to Canada unless it's by UPS or another courier company. Don't know why.

EmilyB
08-08-2002, 03:01 AM
There are some size restrictions I've been told. Whenever I have ordered smaller items, I have no problem getting them sent postal service USPS.

Also, on a larger priced orders, going UPS expedited it sometimes cheaper.

The last UPS guy told me the brokerage was for them to open the box and say "yup, light bulbs".

Bryan
08-08-2002, 03:22 AM
I think part of the reluctance to ship by regular mail from the states is the lack of tracking in case of loss.

That's what really ****es me off about UPS, Canada post only charges a flat $5.00 fee plus applicable duty regardless of the value. UPS does exactly the same thing but gouges the customer with excessive sliding fees.

Son Of Skyline
08-08-2002, 02:35 PM
One way to avoid brokerage fees and additional shipping charges from the US is to have the stuff shipped to the border or a mailbox right across the border. In that case, all you do is go down there to pick it up and pay the tax. I do this all the time for car parts. UPS will rape you if you let them ship up to Canada.

smokinreefer
08-11-2002, 05:01 PM
OK,
so does someone have a PO box they can let us use for the shipping address?

Bryan
08-11-2002, 05:56 PM
Mail box International if they are still in Blaine offers this service. You use their address and they will hold the parcel for you. I used them a couple of years ago and they charge about2.50 per package and a yearly fee around $20.00.

There is a another company on Peace Portal Drive called Blaine International that does exactly the same thing, except they are cheaper and they don't charge a yearly fee. They are a mom and pop company. You have the mail order company put your phone number beside your name on the package. They will call you when it's ready for pickup. With UPS it's not needed as you can use the tracking number to see when it's been delivered.

I have found both very reliable.

[ 11 August 2002, 13:58: Message edited by: Bryan ]

AquariumPros.ca
08-11-2002, 07:52 PM
You can also look in your Yellow Pages for Customs Brokers. If you set-up an account with one of these guys - you can have UPS ship the package - but indicate that you have your own broker. By doing this, you can get decent rates and not get AS 'bent' on the brokerage charges.

If the items are made 100% in NA - then the shipper can get NAFTA paperwork to declare this. If an item has NAFTA paperwork - then there are no duty charges.

Also...if you're bringing items across the boarder - be sure to disclose EVERYTHING 100%. Since 9-11 the boarder has become a very anal place and they WILL rip your car apart and jail/fine you to the extent of the law should you make a false declaration. Friends of mine recently did not claim a 1/2 empty bottle of Vodka purchased on the US side - upon returning to Canada, they did a routine search of the car - found it in the trunk and fined them something like $5,000.00 dollars for the false declaration!!

:eek: Can you say OUCH?!!! :eek:

Cheers,

zulu_principle
08-12-2002, 03:19 AM
Ship to Point Roberts, 2 minutes from Tsawwassen

No big line ups and everything but livestock is easy to cross.

The Letter Carrier
145 Tyee Drive, Suite (Phone Number)
Pt. Roberts, WA
98281-9602

I have done this 100 times, if you get the UPS number and can check on-line they charge you $1.85, to call you its $1 more.

Get gas and save a few bucks on the fill-up.

Zulu

smokinreefer
08-12-2002, 07:31 PM
thanks zulu,
do you have a phone number for them?
i take it i need to make arrangements witht hem first.

zulu_principle
08-13-2002, 12:18 PM
I would just call and tell them to expect a package.

360-945-0515

Make sure you have a birth certificate or passport when you go across. Them seem to think by going through the point its easy to get back to the mainland.

smokinreefer
08-14-2002, 07:47 PM
hey folks,
it looks like the bulbs will roughly cost $90canadian, before bringing them across the border , so after taxes it'll be a buck and some change. so it may not such a sweet deal anymore.

sorry AJ, even though you were one of the first to post, i didnt see how cheap the bulbs were being sold here. for some reason, i remember them costing more, like a buck twenty or so, did they go down in price?

anyhow, unless ALOT of people are interested, and someone else wants to go pick the bulbs up, i will no longer be persuing this promotion.

thanks for your interest and your time.

but by all means, continue on with this thread if you are still interested.